Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC 20

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hey, it lives!! No buffalo!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    All this back and forth bickering makes me ask, who the hell is this Yeti anyway that y'all keep talking about? I must have missed something somewhere ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy
    Sonewhere back in this thread you asked me who made the first vertical cabinet. My initial response was pretty close. However I'm a real stickler for accuracy and as such I asked a few friends for additional input. The general consensus is that it would be near impossible to actually say who built the first one that was for sale to the general public. However the same two names keep popping up, Backwoods and Spicewine Ironworks. However I do know that Oyler was building commercial cabinets before both of these. However they weren't for home cooks as they were massive in scale and cost several thousands of dollars. Oyler does have a smaller one now, however for decades they only built the commercial units. So take Oyler out of the pic and the arrow points to Backwoods and Spicewine as the first home use cabinets. I do know this part to be fact. Backwoods was available on a full time basis to the public as far back as 1987. They were even available on a limited basis as far back as 1984. This is pretty much when you started seeing Spicewine as well. However Backwoods is no question the ones who started the reverse flow trend in vertical cabinets. This has never even been questioned by anyone. Their original design is still by far and large the most copied and used. Here is another thing that Backwoods gets credit for. Rather it was Backwoods or Spicewine that actually built the first one, it is Backwoods who certainly popularized the vertical cabinet for home use. For many, many years, Backwoods was far and away the best selling cabinet out there. Others have certainly made in roads in their sales over the last few years, but for 20+ years they were number 1. Just as Yeti popularized the rotomolded cooler, Backwoods did the same with the vertical cabinet. I hope that this at least somewhat answers your question. 

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    Is that the new Yeti ;)

Status- Standing by.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'll be really glad when they start doing yetifests. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I'd even go to a rtic fest if we got to walk around and get samples from people's coolers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    for those that cancelled, thankou =) was just notified my january delivery will be first week december =) anyone want a rtic, it will be on sale for 399.00 for those that need quicker deliveries
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Lit said:
    texaswig said:
    I'd even go to a rtic fest if we got to walk around and get samples from people's coolers.

Even if the drinks are room temperature?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BIll-W221
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    How bout Mercedes Benz and Hyundai or Kia, maybe better?
    Absolutely !!!  Those thieving bastards copied my S Class to a T :(

But they used the "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" defense lol

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I ordered the 65qt in tan.  I'll wait for them to ship.  Hoping for an earlier date than mid march as I have a couple of trips planned.  But I'm sure I'll find more things to spend my $$ on to keep me busy until then.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    Options
    I'm looking to purchase a good cooler soon.  I only want to spend once. Can any of you recommend these? They are extremely expensive but look poorly made. However I have heard that the more something costs the better it is. Anyone know of that's true? Thanks for any input in advance. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy My apologies for trolling. I will refrain at your request. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm looking to purchase a good cooler soon.  I only want to spend once. Can any of you recommend these? They are extremely expensive but look poorly made. However I have heard that the more something costs the better it is. Anyone know of that's true? Thanks for any input in advance. 

I dont care what you got this is downright funny
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I dont care what you got this is downright funny
    You like those new Yeti models ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Cazzy is going to be pissed when he sees all the crap I have littered his thread with. I did offer to stop though =)

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    swordsmn said:

I performed a great ice test with my rtic20 yesterday.   Exhaustive IMHO

I put 2 10 lb bags of ice in it and drove home with cooler in back seat

when I arrived home,  4 mins later and .8 miles,  I STILL HAD ALL, REPEAT ALL OF MY ICE!!

This thing is the bomb!   

Odd thing though   the cooler felt like it was20 lbs heavier than when it arrived from RTIC.  Do you think I need to get an RMA?

@swordsmn  you are in top form today my friend.  hilarious.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:
    Cazzy is going to be pissed when he sees all the crap I have littered his thread with. I did offer to stop though =)

You're just priming things for the impending bloodbath tonight.  I'm guessing this will be the thread to watch.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    You're just priming things for the impending bloodbath tonight.  I'm guessing this will be the thread to watch.
    There is some truth in the above. Tonight will be the first time in a long time that I can hang out on the forum without work getting in the way. I have a ton of ammunition and both barrels loaded. I'm ready to go Yeti hunting ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:
    There is some truth in the above. Tonight will be the first time in a long time that I can hang out on the forum without work getting in the way. I have a ton of ammunition and both barrels loaded. I'm ready to go Yeti hunting ;)
    With Rtic as your ammo your just shooting blanks. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:
    This will be epic. I am moving several bottles of the Cabernet Sauvignon up from the wine cellar, and put a brisket on. This should be a great way to sit by the campfire tonight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
     Clearly they were the first at nothing except suckering gullible people out of their money.
    I agree with all you said except this:  Organized religion was the first in this regard, at the institutional level.  Much older than Yeti.
    Options
    I have Gentleman Jack at the ready...  I think I can deal with Lit's hatin on Rtic , but I gotta like Nola as we are fellow p-car peeps.   
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SGH
    Options
    I agree with all you said 
    Thanks brother. Everything that I said in that small volume is true. I even encouraged people to look up every fact that I laid it to see it for themselves. Anyone who made it past first grade history is armed with enough education to clearly see through Yetis false claims and nonsense. Most of the things that they try to take credit for were invented a full century or more before Yeti even existed. A great man once said "There is a sucker born every minute" and "A fool and his money is soon parted". Yeti has certainly proved this point beyond all reasonable doubt and capatilized on it. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I feel the troll is strong in you on this thread, my friend.  Keep up the good work.  Party Monster will be proud of his poppa.
    Options
    @SGH - I feel the troll is strong in you on this thread, my friend.  
    I have really been holding back a good bit. However tonight I have something real special for the Yetitards ;) 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm sure it will buffalo this thread.  But it's Friday night and you have some pent-up energy.  Will be looking forward to it scottie.
    Options
    Recliner in position. Firewood in the pit. Lump in both eggs, ready for cooking, 2011 Sequoia Grove in the decanter, watching for the tracers in this live fire exercise.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Recliner in position. Firewood in the pit. Lump in both eggs, ready for cooking, 2011 Sequoia Grove in the decanter, watching for the tracers in this live fire exercise.
    That's a good position on mid-day on a Friday.  I would be jealous, but I'm heading to Austin soon to join 6 other guys celebrating 2 of the guys' birthdays.  We all have rooms in a hotel managed by one of the birthday boys.  I'm not sure how it is going to end up, but if one of us doesn't have a Mike Tyson tattoo by morning I will be disappointed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX