Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Prep Help

Options
Picked up my 1st full prime packer today (19 lbs untrimmed) from Old Line Meat Co here in Baltimore (great people AND beef for anyone in the Baltimore area!!). I was expecting the fat cap to be on the bottom, opposite the point but ended up with the opposite. Plan of attack is to trim the fat from the point side to about a 1/4" and then grill with that side up. Also, was hoping to start around 6:00 AM Saturday for dinner Saturday night, but am concerned with the time it will take for this hunk. I know every piece is different, but do you experts think 14 hours is too little time? In other words, would you start Friday night and FTC if necessary? Was planning on cook temp of 250. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    A 19 pound or will take Longer than 14 hours at 250°  Good luck and make sure you slice/carve it  correctly!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    I would put in on Friday night around midnight, you're better off finishing early versus late. I have FTC for 6 hours without issue. I like to let the egg stabilize for about an hour when doing an over night project.  Have plenty of adult beverages on hand.  I usually lay down on the couch after I put it on and check it a couple hours later then head to bed.  Best of luck. 
    Edina, MN

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    @Grillmagic and @Budgeezer are spot on.  Some here have done their briskets at 280-290 so they don't have to do an overnight cook and by report that works well - so that is your other option. If you get pressed for time toward then end you can always foil it and go to 300.

But personally, I prefer the overnight cook.  I leave my egg alone for about 6 hours and sleep well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yup, put it on the night before.

How much are they charging for brisket there?  It may be worth a trip up to Baltimore for me.  That's a nice looking cut.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    14 hours is easy
    Options
    14 hours is easy
    You are easy ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I did a foil wrap @160F once, on a 14er. Powered through the cook in about 9-10 hours. I cheated every way imaginable. I injected beef broth at the wrap, but kept it at 225F. Did not pull it until 214F IT, because I went to sleep. FTC for 6 hours, because I went back to sleep.
    sliced that flat up afterwards, it was still warm, very juicy and very good. I brought the cooler into the house, and where it sat for 6 hours, in the cooler, the floor was hot.
    Occasionally dumb luck finds you. Or maybe being dumb I got lucky? Either way, everyone enjoyed the heck out of it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Realized last night that this brisket won't fit on my LBGE and since the flat is 2" thick, don't think folding will be an option. Plan on cutting off some of the flat and freezing it for later. Will still go with the overnight. Pix etc to follow.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Draping it over a rib rack or a brick (that is wrapped in foil) would work if you really want to the whole thing. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned by @Foghorn- drape it and be sure to foil protect any part that overhangs your heat deflector.  Also make sure you have an air-gapped drip pan to catch all the renderings.  Give the Aaron Franklin brisket video series a look for some good info on trimming and then slicing the finished product.  Enjoy the cook and eats. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As mentioned by @Foghorn- drape it and be sure to foil protect any part that overhangs your heat deflector.  Also make sure you have an air-gapped drip pan to catch all the renderings.  Give the Aaron Franklin brisket video series a look for some good info on trimming and then slicing the finished product.  Enjoy the cook and eats. 
    +1000^^^^^^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Agree, drape that f*cker!

You can do it!   It'll shrink and pull back a good bit.  It's okay if the flat is scrunched against the egg when you put it on.  In my case the flat is what pulls back significantly during the cook. The point doesn't move as much.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TCT
    Options
    Ended up cutting some of the flat for later use. Trimmed and seasoned with Oakridge Black Ops. On at 11:00 last night @ 230 grid temp. Temp was 238 @ 4:30 am, 200 @ 6:30 so opened up daisy wheel to get back to 250. IT of 198 @ 9:00 am and probed like buddah. FTC until dinner (didn't know what else to do). While it would have been better just off the Egg, very pleased with the results. Any thoughts on what went wrong or how to improve greatly appreciated!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

• KiterTodd
    Options
    That looks great!   It is odd that at the low temp you had (250 dropping to 200) it cooked in 10 hours, but I guess every piece is different.  I would have guessed much longer for a 19 lbs. brisket but I'm not sure what it weighed after you trimmed it and reserved some of the flat for later use.

All I can tell you is don't plan dinner around a 10 hour cook next time...because the Brisket Gods will give you a 19 hour cook.  :lol:

I asked earlier but didn't see an answer.  How much was that per pound?  If you liked the quality I may run up to that butcher myself.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TCT
    Options
    Sorry I did not respond earlier. While I picked it up, my wife got it for me as a bday present, so not sure of price. I do know that Old Line Meat is a great resource for quality meat! You are right about the Brisket Gods. Still trying to figure it out but loving the ride!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD