Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about Buying Egg

Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering joining you Eggheads, but am concerned the Egg is not large enough for cooking 2 or 3 full racks of ribs. I currently own 2 weber kettles and cook 4-6 full racks at once. How large is the large Egg is rib rack terms? Thank you.

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Brian:[p]Click on the link below to see a post about doing six (6) racks of baby backs (cut in half, thus 12 halves) on a medium so I'm sure it can be done on a large. Being a little creative about arranging an you can get quite a bit of food on the egg.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]LOTS OF RIBS[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Brian,[p]If you are use to cooking them with a flames you may have a problem doing that with more than 3 but I have slow cooked 6 racks with plenty of room for more with my rib rack!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    c5cf24a6.jpg
    <p />Brian,[p]I prefer to cook ribs on one level instead of two, and like to lay them flat. I use a small foil barrier early in the cook on the edges if the ribs hang over the plate setter. Three racks work this way, but I can barbecue six if using a rack. My usual cook is one or two racks plus the trim.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    SmokinBoB,[p]I cook in direct and usually go 4 or 5 hours, although controlling the heat on a Weber kettle is not anywhere as easy and routine as it sounds with the Egg. I am sold by the responses and pictures (!!!) of the multi-rack arrnagements. This community is amazing!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    20racks.jpg
    <p />Brian,
    Check this out....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    You are a mad man....
    I'm sure your next post will be a whole pig on a "Mini".
    The stuff you pro eggers can do on such a limited amount of grill space is amazing.
    Darian

• The Naked Whiz
    Photo Egg,
    Why back in '03 I was caught out in the wild with nothin' but a mini and a bag of charcoal. To survive I had to rassle and kill a 30 foot crocodile. It was tough gettin' him into that mini, but it had to be done. Now, I wear crocodile leather boots, just like in the movie......[p]By the way, it was Chef Will's photo of the 20 racks.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Were those slabs cooked like that or is that 20 slabs being warmed up? [p]Thanks, [p]Odis
  • Brian,[p]With my setup, I can cook up to 10 racks at a time and they all will come out well. I don't have to turn or even touch them thru the process. I have a picture of a 6 rack cook and you can see how they look. [p]Dave[p]4ribsbge1Mvc-010e.jpg

• The Naked Whiz
    The Pork Jesters ,
    They were cooked like that.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Old Dave,
    Are you cooking those direct? -RP

• The Naked Whiz,[p]Wow. [p]Odis
  • AZRP,[p]No, indirect in my Contraption.[p]Dave

• The Naked Whiz
    The Pork Jesters ,
    Yes, wow! Maybe Chef Wil can chime in and give more details. He posted that photo about 3 years ago as proof when nobody believed him, lol![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Topo Gigio
    Topo Gigio Posts: 98
    Old Dave, where do you put your heat deflector to acheive indirect when you use the bottom rack for food?
  • Topo Gigio,[p]The bottom rack is always used for my drip pan and the racks above it used for my food. I have some examples. [p]5contbge2Mvc-024e.jpg[p]This is the complete Contraption sitting on the counter ready to be loaded up for a cook. Note the drip pan on the bottom.[p]21MVC-010E.jpg[p]Ribs over an open pot of beans.[p]10MVC-010E.jpg[p]Four pork buttts.[p]8MVC-020E.jpg[p]Mixed cook of butts and briskets.[p]31MVC-003S.jpg[p]Setting up for some pork steaks.[p]15MVC-015E.jpg[p]Nother mixed cook.[p]Dave

• thirdeye
    Old Dave,[p]I've seen several examples of your set up, just not this many pictures together. Does the center grate sit on the fire ring or does the all-thread sit on the fire ring? If it is the former, just how close is the drip pan to the top of your coals?[p]Thanks for posting[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]Yes, the middle rack or the lower cooking rack does sit on the fire ring. The drip pan to coals distance will depend on how full you fill your firebox. A standard cook for me would find about an inch of space from the fire at the start of a cook and I usually fill the fire box full to the top. [p]I have also changed the lower level to a more solid setup since the grid extenders have turned to crap. [p]Hope this answers your questions.[p]Dave

• thirdeye,
    nice looking ribs, is that a paper clip stuck in the rib????? j.c.

• thirdeye
    Thanks Dave. Is your cooking time any shorter than when using a plate setter or fire brick, since the drip has a little less mass than they do?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~