Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OCD or not?

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
1) as per @nolaegghead dripping fat will burn at 400 to 500 degrees F ... imparting a bad smoke
2) on a wing cook at 340 degrees, the upper surface of the plate setter measured 540 degrees F

It seems obvious that protection is needed to alleviate any burnt fat smoking from tainting the protein!

There are posted cooks with the plate setter:

1) bare
2) covered with aluminum foil
3) covered via a drip pan setting on the plate setter
4) covered via a drip pan raised off the plate setter to form an air gap

I utilize option 4 above ... always.  OCD or not?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    My input-Not-just exercising one of many cooking options for wings and the BGE. BTW-I used to be in the above option 4 camp with wings but in the past year or so have moved to high in the dome, option one.  Following the same prep routine (air dry in the fridge over-night and lightly dust with corn starch before the cook) I like the texture (crispiness) better running bare.  So many options, so little time-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    probably ocd, knowing that that greasy pan would be sitting in the egg all week would not bother me. my bet is that you take it out after the cook =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    When I go indirect I like option 4 best as well.  Makes the most sense and not OCD.  I'll often go raised direct however.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    I used the wing cook as a "fact" 'cuz that's the data on hand.  Plan on measuring the plate setter after a 250 cook to double check ... think it'll be in the 400~450 degree range.

Should have said that any time an indirect stone is part of the cook, there is a raised drip pan protecting it.  The filled drip pan is removed the next day when the fat has solidified.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Aren't you an engineer? I would have thought it goes without saying.  =)

I almost always cook chicken raised direct. It drips to it's heart's content. Never really thought about bad smoke... or tasted bad food from it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Michael, I think nolaegghead said that the fat dripping into the fire doesn't turn into bad smoke.  It's the dripping onto a hot surface and "burning" that causes the foul tasting smoke.

Yea, most mechanical engineers that I know are wired towards the OCD side.  Now, electrical engineers are a different breed ... seem not to be comfortable until they've formed a nest of wires around themselves.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    What do you do? What DO you do?  =)

That's just cruel
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    1) as per @nolaegghead dripping fat will burn at 400 to 500 degrees F ... imparting a bad smoke
    2) on a wing cook at 340 degrees, the upper surface of the plate setter measured 540 degrees F

It seems obvious that protection is needed to alleviate any burnt fat smoking from tainting the protein!

There are posted cooks with the plate setter:

1) bare
    2) covered with aluminum foil
    3) covered via a drip pan setting on the plate setter
    4) covered via a drip pan raised off the plate setter to form an air gap

I utilize option 4 above ... always.  OCD or not?

Option 4.  Not OCD - just good cooking.

And FYI, it is CDO.  That's OCD with the letters in alphabetical order - AS THEY SHOULD BE.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    WOW a picture of a gas pump display, Totally Freakin Awesome dude!!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I use a multi-tier saucer and hoop arraingment.  My setup ensures no meat is subject to raident heat.  I use a combination of platforms raised with kiln stilts, aluminum foil, steel cable, and forks.  I have never had burned chicjen fat with this setup.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    I use a multi-tier saucer and hoop arraingment.  My setup ensures no meat is subject to raident heat.  I use a combination of platforms raised with kiln stilts, aluminum foil, steel cable, and forks.  I have never had burned chicjen fat with this setup.

I tried that with toothpicks once.  That's when I learned to spell "phail".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• What do you do? What DO you do?  =)

I used to work with a guy who is OCD.  You can watch the wheels turning in his head while he decides how to bring order to a disorderly situation.  I felt bad for him, but he was a PITA because his favorite discussion topics are money, politics & religion.  In that way he's kinda like @nolaegghead except instead of money, Nola likes booze.  This is absolutely HILARIOUS!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    slovelad said:
    What do you do? What DO you do?  =)

That's just cruel
    No, what's cruel is, I remember when those numbers were $1.49 / 10.0

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    No one showed up at the front door with a white vest decked out with lots of buckles, so here's part two of my query:

Using an elevated drip pan has two approaches based on which CGS outfit you have.

With the OEM plate setter there's no real problem ... CGS sells an appropriately sized SS pan that is easy to cover with one sheet of aluminum foil for ease of clean-up.  Installation is quick and easy with three kiln posts to form an air gap. 

With the oval stone I use CGS's oval ring and two sheets of aluminum foil to make a pan ... it's not a real problem, but there is more futzing than with the formed pan.  I use four kiln posts to support the corners of the oval ring off the stone ... plus two more centered under the aluminum foil to stop it from sagging onto the stone when it starts getting filled with drippings.  Again, the oval ring is not a show stopper, it just takes a little more futzing than with the round pan.

Tom said they tried a rectangular pan with the oval stone, but since it hung over on the corners it kept warping due to the exposure to radiated heat.  But, what if someone could design/manufacture an oval pan that correctly fits the size of the oval stone ... is that something, those of you with a large AR set-up would be interested in buying?  The assumption is that it is correctly priced.

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    No one showed up at the front door with a white vest decked out with lots of buckles, so here's part two of my query:

Using an elevated drip pan has two approaches based on which CGS outfit you have.

With the OEM plate setter there's no real problem ... CGS sells an appropriately sized SS pan that is easy to cover with one sheet of aluminum foil for ease of clean-up.  Installation is quick and easy with three kiln posts to form an air gap. 

With the oval stone I use CGS's oval ring and two sheets of aluminum foil to make a pan ... it's not a real problem, but there is more futzing than with the formed pan.  I use four kiln posts to support the corners of the oval ring off the stone ... plus two more centered under the aluminum foil to stop it from sagging onto the stone when it starts getting filled with drippings.  Again, the oval ring is not a show stopper, it just takes a little more futzing than with the round pan.

Tom said they tried a rectangular pan with the oval stone, but since it hung over on the corners it kept warping due to the exposure to radiated heat.  But, what if someone could design/manufacture an oval pan that correctly fits the size of the oval stone ... is that something, those of you with a large AR set-up would be interested in buying?  The assumption is that it is correctly priced.

When using the plate setter, I always use the CGS spider for the air gap, the CGS drip pan fits in it perfectly.
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have an XL, I use the PS, legs up. I buy large, round, cheap, aluminum serving pans that have the perfect size to fit on the PS. Since it only takes three points to define a plain, I use aluminum foil wadded up into three small balls, place the pan on those, then the grill grate. Works very well, every time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Truthfully, I use an unwrapped SS drip pan from CGS on top of my pizza stone and Woo2 and set three rocks under it.  I just find the rocks from my landscapping.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Truthfully, I use an unwrapped SS drip pan from CGS on top of my pizza stone and Woo2 and set three rocks under it.  I just find the rocks from my landscapping.
    Then bring back the kiln posts I gave you ... geez.

• Jeepster47
    @YukonRon ... CGS is your friend.  Tom sells SS drip pans that are sized perfectly for the eggs.  Plus, after this weekend he'll have kiln posts on the website.  That combination is really great.  Whether you use the SS pans bare like Ozzie or foiled like I do, they last forever.  And, the kiln posts provide a slip resistant surface for the pan ... much safer if you pull the AR or PSWoo during the cook. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

PLUS

EQUALS

• I always cover the plate setter with foil, even on cooks that aren't particularly greasy.  Probably OCD, I like my ceramics clean.  I use a drip pan with water on really greasy cooks like a lot of pork or a big wing cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Jeepster47
    @nolaegghead ... hey, I just said no foil on the plate setter ... foil caps are necessary ... otherwise the gumment listens in to my real thoughts ... don't want those to get out.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm the diametric opposite of OCD.  If it doesn't matter, I don't care.  That's not to say you can't damage quality if you're burning tons of fat, but sometimes it doesn't matter.  Then I don't care.
  • I'm the diametric opposite of OCD.  If it doesn't matter, I don't care.  That's not to say you can't damage quality if you're burning tons of fat, but sometimes it doesn't matter.  Then I don't care.
    That's exactly what somebody with OCD would say.  Me thinks thou doth protest too much.
    Flint, Michigan