Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC 20

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeti will own them soon. No way them can say they aren't copying exactly.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Competition is good for us consumers.  Loving my RTIC 45.  Got Yeti 32 tumblers.  Win win.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    bgebrent said:
    Competition is good for us consumers.  Loving my RTIC 45.  Got Yeti 32 tumblers.  Win win.
    Competition is good but blatant copying isn't. Nobody will spend money on R&D to make a batter product for us if scumbags can just come in and copy them when they make something good.  Rtic should be shut down.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    YEMTrey said:
    RTIC isn't even trying to hide the design stealing from YETI.   Wish they would focus on getting paid for coolers to customers instead of pillaging more from YETI.
    The most on point comment today 
  • Well I can say this for RTIC, they were quick with my refund. It only took them two days longer than it took Amazon to get me the Pelican cooler I ordered 5 minutes after I cancelled the RTIC.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Yep my order placed on 1 October for a tan 20 has now delayed from 27 Dec to 14 Feb, not a big deal but stinks they keep pushing back
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Love my Rtic 20 but if I ordered a Rtic tumbler, I might dehydrate before delivery!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • bgebrent
    @Lit, that's why laws exists.  If a company has any kind of legit and copyrighted product it will be protected.   RTIC also spent money on R &D and brought an equal or better product to market.  Yeti's relief is in court.  That another company can copycat and not violate law, we'll see.  Cooler shouldn't cost $300.
  • I'm back and forth on just ordering one for the heck of it.  I have two Yeti's and they fulfil my cooler needs one small one and one big one. Why do I need another cooler? Ha 
  • bgebrent
    @TrailRunner, of course you need another cooler!  Once you have it you'll not comprehend how you lived without it!  May I recommend RTIC?
  • bgebrent said:
    @TrailRunner, of course you need another cooler!  Once you have it you'll not comprehend how you lived without it!  May I recommend RTIC?
    I'm debating if I should get a cooler or another Egg. Thinking about getting a MM. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    bgebrent said:
    @Lit, that's why laws exists.  If a company has any kind of legit and copyrighted product it will be protected.   RTIC also spent money on R &D and brought an equal or better product to market.  Yeti's relief is in court.  That another company can copycat and not violate law, we'll see.  Cooler shouldn't cost $300.
    Yeti may not be happy with a very similar product hitting the market, but without patents to protect them, there might not be much they can do.  Yeti has a patent on the latches they use, but it does not appear to have any other (someone who knows how to throughly search may be able to dig up something, but simple searches don't turn up much).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

rtic copied yeti copied engal. if you dont want a rtic cooler because they stole some designs then you dont want a yeti either. all yeti changed was the latches and took out the beam in the engal cover that makes engal the better cooler out of the three. engal, first rotomolded cooler, the best rotomolded cooler. engals were built for serious use off shore, yeti was built for folks with deep pockets and no boat =)  rtic was built for the rest of us
    Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

Well, using @Lit 's logic, Engel will own Yeti and RTIC so it really doesn't matter.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    cazzy said:

rtic copied yeti copied engal. if you dont want a rtic cooler because they stole some designs then you dont want a yeti either. all yeti changed was the latches and took out the beam in the engal cover that makes engal the better cooler out of the three. engal, first rotomolded cooler, the best rotomolded cooler. engals were built for serious use off shore, yeti was built for folks with deep pockets and no boat =)  rtic was built for the rest of us
    Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

Well, using @Lit 's logic, Engel will own Yeti and RTIC so it really doesn't matter.
    Yep, and following this logic the folks over at Pelican have a lot to look forward to as well! 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I like the finger grips on the Engel rope handle...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Photo Egg said:
    Here is the solution to that:
    https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/MyGrip-3p9871.htm

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    Here is the solution to that:
    https://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/MyGrip-3p9871.htm
    That's very cool...thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    BIll-W221 said:
    Well I can say this for RTIC, they were quick with my refund. It only took them two days longer than it took Amazon to get me the Pelican cooler I ordered 5 minutes after I cancelled the RTIC.
    Was thinking about doing the same thing, but using the money instead to buy a Blackstone.  I can re-order an Rtic when they get their shite straightened out.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    feef706 said:
    Yep my order placed on 1 October for a tan 20 has now delayed from 27 Dec to 14 Feb, not a big deal but stinks they keep pushing back
    Wonder why my tan says 1-1-16, maybe because I ordered in Aug
  • jtcBoynton
    Tspud1 said:
    feef706 said:
    Wonder why my tan says 1-1-16, maybe because I ordered in Aug
    Promised shipping dates do seem to correspond to order dates.  My shipping date for a tan 45 ordered 8/19 got moved from 12/2 to 1/1
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Lit
    cazzy said:

Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

Yeti and engel are not exact copies of each other. Rtic copied yeti on every aspect and didn't even try to hide it. 
  • Lit

bgebrent said:
    And a ceramic kamado shouldn't cost $1000. But you are paying for quality and a warranty from a credible company that's not trying to rip someone else off. Based on how great Rtics business skills have been to this point they won't be around long enough for Yeti to own them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Lit said:
    cazzy said:

Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

Yeti and engel are not exact copies of each other. Rtic copied yeti on every aspect and didn't even try to hide it. 
    yes there are differences, that bottom dimple on an engal is low, rtic is higher, yeti even higher, white rope handles instead of black, raised feet are white not black, the sizes are all a little different, rtic has thicker insulation. only real difference is the latch, yeti designed a latch. is that what all the hype is about, the latch :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    cazzy said:

Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

yes there are differences, that bottom dimple on an engal is low, rtic is higher, yeti even higher, white rope handles instead of black, raised feet are white not black, the sizes are all a little different, rtic has thicker insulation. only real difference is the latch, yeti designed a latch. is that what all the hype is about, the latch :o
    What's all the hype about BGE? There are many cheap knockoffs you could buy. People buy BGE cause it's quality from a reputable company that's going to be there if you do have a warranty issue. Same thing with Yeti.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    cazzy said:

Engel Cooler DeepBlue 65

What's all the hype about BGE? There are many cheap knockoffs you could buy. People buy BGE cause it's quality from a reputable company that's going to be there if you do have a warranty issue. Same thing with Yeti.
    and engal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Not to get in the middle of anything or derail this thread, but does anyone have any experience with Bison coolers? I see people comment on Yeti, RTIC, and Pelican, but rarely anything about Bison. Any thoughts?
    Indianapolis, IN
  • jtcBoynton
    So is it time for this thread to go the way of the bison???
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Photo Egg
    Bottom line with RTIC...
    They are overwhelmed with the number of people ordering coolers. So many people believe the RTIC is as good as Yeti for a much better price.
    Yeti changed very little over the Engel design to get by the design patten.

Look at the US car companies for knock offs...they are the biggest design thief's.lol
    It goes way back...Camero, TransAm, Firebird

Have you seen even one post from a RTIC buyer that said the cooler was "not" as good as the Yeti in quality?

Have you seen even one post about a person asking for a refund and "not" getting a refund?

You are speculating that in the future they might have poor customer service and not stand behind the cooler...

Every company that starts up new could be a gamble. Larger companies than Yeti have been put out of business by smarter new companies. 

I have called RTIC 3 times to ask questions. They were always prompt and super nice. I have emailed 4 times and always got a return email within 24 hours. Most less than 1 hour.

Same with Kamado Joe, always great service. 

Before I was a regular at Eggfests and was able to meet some of the BGE people I never had luck with emails and had to leave multi voice mails before I got answers. Now I have direct numbers and emails but I still see people complaining about BGE unanswered emails and calls. And lets not even get started about BGE Dealer customer service...I'm luck and have a great dealer but so many people are not. There are posts all the time. Not to mention all the illegal Eggs that turn up at Sam's Club and Costo with no warranty...
    BGE really put a stop to that.

Time will tell with RTIC but I sure can't **** about future problems that have not happened.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas