Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Handle Replacement for Large

Anyone know if BGE dealers sale replacement handles?  If so, do they come with the screws & nuts that attach it to the band? 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    What happened? Handle get charred? BTW handles use nuts and bolts - no screws. Just the wood can be replaced easily so no need to replace the metal.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Yes, I have seen some dealers here in Atlanta with handles.

What's your terrirory, unfortunate auburn fan....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    I had to get new wood for my handle and my dealer ordered it for me.
  • A stock handle?  Seriously?  I have an XL, but that doesn't make a difference.

Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Anyone know if BGE dealers sale replacement handles?  If so, do they come with the screws & nuts that attach it to the band? 

I might have an extra. I'll check tomorrow. Might message me to jog my memory. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm in Birmingham, AL.  I was adjusting the dome because I had a slight under-bite and was getting some smoke leaking out of one side.  For some dumb reason, I thought I needed to take the handle off to lift out the dome.  I un-screwed the nuts that attach the handle to the bolts but failed to take out the bolts...they were just loosely sticking through the holes in the band.  Next thing I know, the right bolt has "disappeared"...likely in the ashes in the bottom of the egg but I never could find it...even after digging and stirring around with a magnet.  I could just get a bolt of the same size from Lowes but figured I might as well go ahead & replace the handle since I've got to take it apart (again) regardless.  The handle on it now is pretty banged up.  Like I said, long story!      

• You can find those bolts pretty easily at HW stores.  Cinch studs are what they are called.  Surely someone will know the size.....

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited November 2015

I'm in Birmingham, AL.  I was adjusting the dome because I had a slight under-bite and was getting some smoke leaking out of one side.  For some dumb reason, I thought I needed to take the handle off to lift out the dome.  I un-screwed the nuts that attach the handle to the bolts but failed to take out the bolts...they were just loosely sticking through the holes in the band.  Next thing I know, the right bolt has "disappeared"...likely in the ashes in the bottom of the egg but I never could find it...even after digging and stirring around with a magnet.  I could just get a bolt of the same size from Lowes but figured I might as well go ahead & replace the handle since I've got to take it apart (again) regardless.  The handle on it now is pretty banged up.  Like I said, long story!      

Those bolts from the inside out are called clinch bolts/stud as they have a special flat head which fits in the countersunk hole and have "teeth" to grip the hole. I kinda doubt Lowes or HD will carry them. A speciality biz like Fastenal would carry them, or a good hardware store might as well. Last resort is call the mothership and I bet they will send you a bolt or two for nothing!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You might check the specialty screw cabinets at Lowe's. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    A few years ago they came out with some ugly-ass plastic handles.  They still selling them that way?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Thank god no more plastic handles. Got too hot to touch and we're just ugly. Now all eggs come with wooden handles.