Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Torch

Options
Not sure if you guys/gals have seen this one before but I just ordered one of these yesterday, kind of wishing I had ordered the one with the built in igniter but it wasn't on sale yesterday (is today) and I don't see it to be a huge issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

With Igniter built in
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-61595.html
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The built in igniter will fail about a month after you buy it.  Just buy a torch flint thing and you're golden.  It's not really a secret, many of the old head use this method though.  

IMHO, this is the best way to light an Egg.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    I've been using something similar to the item below for years and love it.  It's perfect for home use.  Sometimes I'll bust out the heat gun, but keep going back to this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS3000KC-Self-Igniting-Torch-Kit-336626/203368720

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There are two harbor freight stores in b'ham. Also, you can find 20% off coupons online. Print and take it to the store. As I recall it can be used on sale items too. Not sure if it works with online orders. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    i have never lit my eggs with anything else--ever
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I use mapp pro gas. It's the yellow bottle. Seems  to have more oomph than propane.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I use mapp pro gas. It's the yellow bottle. Seems  to have more oomph than propane.
    I disagree. Propane is more than enough for lighting charcoal. And at a fraction of the price. You do need the Mapp torch head though. Works better upside down.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I tell you, you squeeze the trigger handle on a weed torch, I don't know how much more ooomph one would need.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No need to pull the trigger when lighting the lump. The only time the trigger is needed is when friends are over and neighbors who give you an awkward eye!  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    I realize people use them, I was just passing along what I thought to be a good deal.
    Birmingham, AL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    stonewh said:
    I realize people use them, I was just passing along what I thought to be a good deal.
    Oh, my bad.  I didn't get that from your post.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I tell you, you squeeze the trigger handle on a weed torch, I don't know how much more ooomph one would need.  
    Well yeah. I was thinking of the little hand held propane torches vs my Mapp gas torch.  

I disagree. Propane is more than enough for lighting charcoal. And at a fraction of the price. You do need the Mapp torch head though. Works better upside down.
    I'm not sure I have ever compared the prices. Can a propane bottle screw right into the mapp gas head?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    stonewh said:
    Oh, my bad.  I didn't get that from your post.  
    No big deal, I wasn't clear.
    Birmingham, AL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Well yeah. I was thinking of the little hand held propane torches vs my Mapp gas torch.  

I'm not sure I have ever compared the prices. Can a propane bottle screw right into the mapp gas head?
    Yep, for about 1/3 the price  maybe less
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2015
    Options
    $3 propane, $10 map pro. Propane works great, you'll never notice the difference except in your wallet. You need the map TORCH, but you already have that. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    When I use a torch, which is not too often as I have electric right beside the egg, I always throw some old lump on top. It does not spark much at all. The weedburner has embers flying everywhere. I use MAP, 'cause that's what's on the soldering torch. Takes about 20 seconds to start second burn lump. I agree with @Carolina Q propane is cheaper if you have it around, I've even used my creme brule butane torch when too lazy to walk to the garage. It's all good - thanks for sharing your idea!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I use a Benzomatic weedtorch.  The self-igniter failed after about two uses.  I use a Bic multi-lighter or other equivalents (e.g., Scripto "Aim and flame").
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Paper towel and vegatable oil ,especially when it is real cold outside. Mapp torch with hose the rest of the time .Don't like shocking egg with blasting heat when it is below freezing and such .If I want a big fire fast I use a chimney and carefully pour lit coals over a base of unlit .I always am conscious of extreme temp changes.Maybe over cautious but that's what I do .
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Big Green Egg sells them