Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken...FAIL

Options
I think I may know what my problem was, but I wanted to get some other opinions.  In trying to get ready to cook a beer can chicken on the Egg, I could not get the temp to rise above 300* (I read that this type of cook should be done at around 375*).  This was my first attempt at a higher temp, indirect cook.  I lit the charcoal, waited 10-15 minutes, and put the platesetter in.  The temp only got to about 275.  I then took the platesetter out, let the temp come up to 400* and put the platesetter back in.  Temp dropped to 300* and stayed there for an hour with top and bottom vents wide open.  I gave up.

Prior to this, I hadn't used the Egg in 3 weeks due to work and travel.  There was some lump left over in the Egg from the last cook, but I did add about 50% new lump this time.  We did have some very rainy weather during that 3 week period.  Do you think the old lump could be the problem?  Did it maybe absorb too much moisture while not being used?  The lump was sparking more than I've noticed it spark before.  The Egg was kept covered but outside.

Also, when doing a higher temp indirect cook, at what point do you typically put in the platesetter?  

Thanks in advance!
KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
Southeastern, MA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cook w/o the black deal on the top at all. Only control by the bottom adj vent. That should take care of your temp problem.
    I would like to suggest cooking chicken spatchcocked at 400 DIRECT and Raised. Outstanding chicken always.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    It's either fuel or air-flow once you have a fire lit.  It sounds like you may have had wet lump (fuel) that contributed to your issue.  Regarding high-heat indirect cooks-depending on how you light the lump load it can take a good while for the temperature to get in the 350*F+ neighborhood, indirect.  Not only do you have to heat the platesetter but the ceramics need to get up to temperature as well. 
    I would start with a new load of lump and go from there.  BTW- I load the platesetter and cooking grids once I have a good bed of burning lump if going high temp indirect.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Yup...moist lump
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    My bet is moist lump that plugged the air holes in the fire grate.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The plate setter will knock your temp own quick and could take a while to come back up of is cold.  Like @lousubcap said put it in once you have a good give established.  I put mine on about 15-20 minutes after I light the egg.  That way it comes up to temp WTH the rest of the egg.  I also don't start closing down vents tell I am within 50 degrees of my target.  I've have done both beer can and spatchcocked chicken and I like spatchcocked better.  There are videos on YouTube on how to do it.  Give it a try on direct heat raised at 350-400.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It is an air flow issue.  You can make a "wiggle" rod out of stainless rod you buy at the hardware store.  Bend an L on the end and when you have this issue poke up through the holes in the bottom grate.  

Also, next time you light make sure to stir the old lump and rake it over the fire grate to let the ash fall through.  Try to make sure the air holes in the fire grid are clear.  Sometimes even when I do everything "right" the fire just doesn't burn clean.  An upgraded grate such as the high-q or a kick ash basket will help a great deal.  I have the high-Q grates in both eggs.  If I didn't already have those I think I would try the kick ash basket.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Did your egg start sweating? I have had my egg take forever to heat up and it started sweating  grease through the sides because it was so water logged. After that stopped it went back to normal
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • PatsFan70
    Options
    Did your egg start sweating? I have had my egg take forever to heat up and it started sweating  grease through the sides because it was so water logged. After that stopped it went back to normal
    Actually, now that you ask this, there was a lot of condensation on the inside that I have never seen before.
    Also, next time you light make sure to stir the old lump and rake it over the fire grate to let the ash fall through.  Try to make sure the air holes in the fire grid are clear.  
    I always stir up the old lump, but I was in a rush in the dark and may not have removed as much as the old ash as I should have.

Thanks for the replies.  i will clean out the lump completely before the next cook.

KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
    Southeastern, MA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Suggest this is the issue. Without the setter the temp came up to 400º - that is a thermo exposed to direct burning lump, once the setter goes in the condensation on the inside will lower the thermo temps, kinda like your egg was in the stall, silly as that may sound. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Long shot but I had this issue when I cleaned out the egg once and reassembled with the platesetter leg directly below the thermometer.  I adjusted to have a gap and problem solved.  Thread here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185137/just-an-observation-about-platesetter-positioning#latest
    Toronto ON
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I always upgraded the charcoal grid to a high air flow version. Its a inexpensive mod and it can't hurt.