Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite lump for the price?

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I doubt very many people, in a blind taste test, could tell the difference in a hunk of meat cooked on RW, RO, Fogo, etc.

So perhaps there are other items in their decision matrix that help sway opinions - lights easier, burns longer, artwork on bag is prettier, etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    you guys are hilarious! Lol
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I doubt very many people, in a blind taste test, could tell the difference in a hunk of meat cooked on RW, RO, Fogo, etc.

So perhaps there are other items in their decision matrix that help sway opinions - lights easier, burns longer, artwork on bag is prettier, etc.
    This. For me, it's the price. I haven't tried any brands that tasted any different, so cheaper is better. Or maybe it's the artwork.

It's just charcoal, people. 

you guys are hilarious! Lol
    Also this. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    in my neck of the woods, Basque's Nature Own is cheaper (even more so when Costco puts it on clearance) than RO ... imo it's also 'no worse than' RO (p.s. I didn't say 'better' so as not to offend any RO diehards  ;) )
    canuckland
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Mikee, you "tried a bag" and count that as a meaningful scientific experiment?  As a scientist, I like my "dreamworld".

Just another RW person trying to convince others that nothing else compares to it. I hit the nail on the head when I said for 'RW buyers to get over it'. Personally I like to see honest opinions. An opinion that is fair; one that shows the positives and the negatives. I am not one to jump on the bandwagon. I tried RW and the only downside was the price. Some say that they paid $XXXX for an Egg therefore they will buy the expensive lump. It doesn't really matter if the higher priced lump is better; they just want to show the world that they can afford it.

Many others share my opinion the Royal Oak is good. The problem is that it is $12 a bag. It can't be good lump if it just cost that little? Perhaps Royal Oak should raise their price to $25 a bag; that would then make it a better lump! Right! Afterall, the higher the price the better the lump.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    One could make an argument that the "best" lump is Japanese binchotan. You can be guaranteed that you will NEVER find a rock of any size in your box of binchotan.

However, at about $25 per pound it is not really in the "favorite lump for the price" range for folks that aren't named Gates or Buffet.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mikee
    Options
    @HeavyG There are plenty here who spent Big dollar$ for an Egg. Paying $25 per pound must mean its better. Why settle for good lump when the great stuff is just $25 a pound.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    @Mikee I'm sensing sarcasm with a touch of eye-poking in your responses ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Last year I purchased a couple of 35 lb. bags of Fogo on Amazon and was very satisfied with the product.  Then I ordered some in smaller bags this year.  Not a good deal.  I don't know whether it was the manufacturer's fault or the shipper's.  Had to throw half of it away.   Lately, I have used Wicked Good from a local Ace Hardware - cheaper per pound than Fogo and much less than Wicked Good on Amazon.  I highly recommend you give it a try.  Good sized lump, clean burn, and quick to start with low VOC's. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Mikee
    Options
    @Mikee I'm sensing sarcasm with a touch of eye-poking in your responses ;)

I think you got it right. I agree with some and stand my ground on others.  I understand other opinions because they have their own agenda. When I buy a so called much better lump, and it does not perform better than what I have been using I really question why I would spend twice as much.

I hate to get sucked into Lump threads even much more than Pizza threads!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    One could make an argument that the "best" lump is Japanese binchotan. You can be guaranteed that you will NEVER find a rock of any size in your box of binchotan.

However, at about $25 per pound it is not really in the "favorite lump for the price" range for folks that aren't named Gates or Buffet.
    Burns so clean you can use it indoors too.  Best meal I've ever had featured slices of fish seared on binchotan tableside.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Um, guess I need to quit using my charred pine bark and dryer lint soaked in vegetable oil?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Acn said:
    HeavyG said:

Burns so clean you can use it indoors too.  Best meal I've ever had featured slices of fish seared on binchotan tableside.
    It may not have been producing white smoke (because it was 100% carbon), but it was producing carbon monoxide.  Probably not a lot in a big open restaurant with ventilation, but don't do it at home without a hood and some sort of air replacer.   
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I've been using Wicked Good since the very early days and, while it may cost a bit more, I can count on it without any hesitation. I'm used to the way it lights, I'm used to the way it burns and I'm happy with the "taste".

You people have spent a small bundle on an Egg and then search for and squabble about "the cheapest best charcoal" are amusing.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I picked up 4 bags of Kamado Joe Lump Charcoal at the Costco roadshow and it was very decent lump .. very comparable to the Rockwood I have been using consistently.

Image borrowed from another forum:

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    For the price, I'd have to say Royal Oak.  Ignoring price, Rockwood is my personal favorite and what I use most often.

Periodically, Home Depot sells Royal Oak for $9.99/bag and I load up.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I use Royal Oak I got 17.8# bag for $7 or $7.50 from Walmart. It is not the best I have used but for the price I have no complaints. I buy enough for about a year then repeat. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeah when Walmart runs their sales on RO it's impossible to beat that deal. Around here in GA they usually go for $8 for the 18 lb bags and I think they do it twice a year maybe only once.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sorry, I'm late to the party... 

I like Rockwood, so I pay the price.  Have five bags coming today.  

I also like Fogo (possibly a little better than RW), but not at the price they want.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Buying one bag of lump is not a true indication of the lump. That's one of biggest downfalls of the NakedWiz website. ... I tried one bag of Rockwood and it was as good as Royal Oak; just twice the price. ...
    Hmmmm ... did I miss something here?  NakedWiz data is suspect 'cuz they only tested one bag, but you uncovered the problems with RW by purchasing only one bag.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Here is a pic of some RW in my XL.  I had to break the pieces to fit in my medium.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    OMG Ozzie, there's some un-carbonized pieces of wood in there ... we need to make folks aware of how bad Rockwood is to cook with ... and so damn expensive too.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    OMG Ozzie, there's some un-carbonized pieces of wood in there ... we need to make folks aware of how bad Rockwood is to cook with ... and so damn expensive too.
    Oh I forgot, thats smoke wood in the back.  The RW is great because its so nuetral.  I can flavor like I prefer.

If you like the flavor of RO then you are lucky.  Save more money on smokewood.  I personally find it to strong.  I like subtle smoke that blends with the seasonings and meat.

If you are talking about the slight brown tint on the left piece. I didn't notice that in person and it had no impact on my cook.  It was chicken so I would have noticed for sure.
  • Jeepster47
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... smoke wood ... you have to add smoke wood to get a flavor.  Geez, if you're going to use Rockwood then you might as well cook on a gasser ... not good.  Having to spend extra money buying smoke wood to add flavor ... expensive!  I'm retired and on a fixed income, how can I ever afford the extra cost?  Especially after dropping $75 on that brisket.

Man, your economic calculations are simply all wrong ... you need to rethink this Rockwood thing.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... smoke wood ... you have to add smoke wood to get a flavor.  Geez, if you're going to use Rockwood then you might as well cook on a gasser ... not good.  Having to spend extra money buying smoke wood to add flavor ... expensive!  I'm retired and on a fixed income, how can I ever afford the extra cost?  Especially after dropping $75 on that brisket.

Man, your economic calculations are simply all wrong ... you need to rethink this Rockwood thing.
    Thats why I bought a MBGE too.  Saves on lump for smaller cooks.  Assuming it has half the burn rate of my XL it wil pay for itself after 5,143 hrs of cook time.

If I used RO it would take 10,286 hrs to payback.  So clearly RW is better.  My payback period is shorter!

After rougly 300 briskets or 2500 chickens I will be in the black.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    :rofl: the father son comedy team is killing me
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Thats why I bought a MBGE too.  Saves on lump for smaller cooks.  Assuming it has half the burn rate of my XL it wil pay for itself after 5,143 hrs of cook time.

If I used RO it would take 10,286 hrs to payback.  So clearly RW is better.  My payback period is shorter!

After rougly 300 briskets or 2500 chickens I will be in the black.
    Hmmm ... never looked at it that way ... damn I knew that mail-order degree would pay off for you some day.

But, I screwed up 'cuz I have two larges.  How will I ever pay them off?  What should I do before I sink into debt and have to become a democrat?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hmmm ... never looked at it that way ... damn I knew that mail-order degree would pay off for you some day.

But, I screwed up 'cuz I have two larges.  How will I ever pay them off?  What should I do before I sink into debt and have to become a democrat?
    Two larges?  That is a quandry.  You must have believed the "you can share your CGS stuff" myth.

I prefered the "buy all new stuff for different sized egg" truth.  See with double the equipment my stuff will last twice as long.

I should go into teaching.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I can't tell you how many hundreds of people I have cooked with RO for and never had a complaint. That big piece of un carbonized rockwood is pretty bad though would rather find rocks than that. That's cowboy style lump there.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Lit said:
    I can't tell you how many hundreds of people I have cooked with RO for and never had a complaint. 
    I would definitely complain if you cooked me with RO