Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody Practicing a Turkey Cook?

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
edited November 2015 in Poultry
I am trying to do a bit of planning - does 5 hours at 350 grid sound right for an 18 to 19 pound whole turkey? Cavity might be a third of the way filled, indirect, not spatched.  Thanks!

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did a 20 pounder last thanksgiving and forgot to take the neck bone out of the top and the breast didn't cook even.  I prefer not to stuff the bird.  Are you going indirect or direct?  I like indirect.  Mine was done sooner than I thought it would, but no problem keeping it warm.  I doing a 14 pound one this year and a fresh ham I am curing myself.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Indirect at around 350*F on the dome and figure around 12 mins/lb.  That's with just some loosely loaded aromatics in the cavity.  But close enough...
    And given I only cook a whole turkey one a year I keep notes. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I planned to do one today but it'll go n on Wednesday. Mines a 12.5 pounds and it's brining in the basement in Perfecr a Turkey.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Did this one yesterday
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    Options
    I cook two 13 pounders on an XLBGE @ 325 pit temp. Usually 4 hours works for breast @ 170, thighs @ 180-5. Orange, Apple, or Cherry wood. Good Luck!!
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Does anyone here put a temp probe in the turkey during the cook or just spot check it from time to time?  If the former, where do you put the probe?  In the breast or in the thigh (or both)?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    @chadpsualum  I use my Maverick 732 and insert the probe into the thickest part of the breast. Insert from the front of the bird parallel to the grid. Check with Thermapen in various spots when temp hits about 160 in the breast. . 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    @chadpsualum I used a cheap meat thermometer and placed it in the breast. I tented the foil around it so it'd make it easier to check every time I basted it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Truthfully I'm not a huge fan of Turkey. No practice. Gonna likely follow requests of family and Spatchcock. Will also use fresh herbs and maybe some herb infused compound butter. 
    Haven't decided on what wood to smoke with Apple, Orange or maybe Cherry. Not sure. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

I did my practice run, to take to work.  Amazingly, I found two turkeys of exactly the same weight, so I should be set for Thanksgiving day.

20# turkey

After five days thawing in the garage refrigerator, there was still a little ice inside

Nothing in the cavity, sage butter under and over the skin

Raised grid, platesetter legs up with a raised, liquid-filled drip pan

350 grid took exactly three hours

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Never had the egg available so always commandeered a gasser. 

After research, my plan is to wet brine heavy on the apple cider and shift to Naked Whiz method (herb and fruit cavity, compound butter rub). 

Assume 12 or so minutes per pound and hope for the best. 

Bourbon cocktails and great wine with the bird. 

Wait for compliments. 

Should work, amirite?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We're on our own this year so our Practice Turkey will be our Thanksgiving Turkey.  And we'll probably cook it the same way as always - Mad Max's recipe.  
    There will just less people to eat it.

And the carcass will be used to make some more of that wonderful soup Spring Hen makes.  I love that stuff.  

Spring "Practice Makes Good Turkey Too" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA