Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regulating Heat - Again - at my wits end

Options
2»

Comments

• Sandi_k
    Options
    Three things:

- The plate setter sucks up a LOT of heat - so we get the temp to 50 above what we're aiming for, open up, drop in the place setter, and wait another 10 minutes for it to settle. On cold days, it might take closer to 30 for the PS to reach interior temp.

- We use one firestarter, and break it into 2 pieces, setting it at noon and 6 o'clock. Light it, let it flame for LESS THAN 5 minutes, and then lower the lid, full open, and watch the temp climb.

- You may be adding too much fuel. We only put in enough lump to make a small hump when we want lower temps.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I read a little above, got to Scotties dissertation and quit.  

My lighting and frustrations quickly diminished when I tossed using starter cubes and got a weed torch.  I light in one place with it and it's good to go.  
    I agree I messed around with the oil soaked napkins and it felt like I was lighting a camp fire with people waiting to eat. I bought a torch at Lowes and it's beyond simple now.