Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock -- Direct or Indirect? That is the question.

Steve_in_Md
Steve_in_Md Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noted Naked Whiz cooked direct but he has an elevated grill rack.[p]I have looked for something around the house to raise the rack but I don't have anything suitable. I am concerned that the standard height of the rack maybe too close to the source and I'll end up with chicken that is burnt black and tastes of burnt grease. [p]I do have a plate setter so I can do indirect.

Comments

• Steve_in_Md,
    I would not go indirect. It will not come out the same. I would drop down in temps slightly say to 325. It doesn’t take much charcoal to maintain 325 for the 75 minutes or so you will need to cook it so don’t add lump up to the fire ring either. Maybe half as much as normal. I’ll think you’ll be just fine. I would much rather take my chances on some charred skin that the more “baked” type of chicken you will get with indirect.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I've cooked it both ways....direct and indirect...and direct is the way to go....I also didn't have any conventional items to raise the rack....So I found four pieces of lump charcoal....all about the same size / width....put them on the lip of the fire box....and then set the grill on top of those....thus....raising the grid......not ideal...but it did work.....[p]Raising the grid is not an absolute necessity ..Remember..you don't need a big-time fire for this endeavor....You only need enough lump to create just enough fire / heat to run you BGE for an hour so at 325 to 350 degrees dome temp...and it don't take much lump to accomplish that..With a smaller amount of lump you're less likely to overly char the chicken.....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Steve_in_Md, If you have an old gasser you could use some of the ceramic blocks from on top of your burner that would raise it some

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    eddiemac,
    au contrare, my friend.[p]I find indirect makes for a better cooked, more
    thoroughly smoked bird, and we prefer it.[p]It does not, however, give you a crispy skin, though
    that could be done direct after the indirect cook.
    To each his own, though...
    HS

• Steve_in_Md
    Steve_in_Md Posts: 15
    Too much smoke flavor. I think the birds being so close to the source cause the fats to render quickly and somewhat smother the coals -- the fire was burning very clean before I put them on. Thick steady white smoke shortly after the birds went on.[p]I will say that the meat was very moist and the skin crisped up nicely (did the last 10 minutes at 400).
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Steve_in_Md,
    Yeah, you wanna keep that chicken up off the coals til the skin is good and brown. I do them direct on a raised grid for an hour, and then depending on how much finishing they need, drop them to the main grid to crisp up. If you've only got the one grid but have a couple of firebricks handy, you could set them on top of the firering and rest the grid on top of them.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Illinifan
    Illinifan Posts: 35
    Steve_in_Md,We use a drip pan with a rib rack setting in it. then put an extra griiie we have on top of the rib rack. We get superior Spatchcock Chicken that way.