Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weird Brisket Cook

Options
Hey all,
Ive just had the weirdest thing happen with a brisket cook and I'm looking for any ideas. I'm in a Chili Cook-off at work and figured Id try the Smoked Brisket Chile recipe that Eggobsessed posted. I picked up a 12 lbs packer and trimmed up a lot of the excess fat cap, rubbed with mustard and Dizzy Dust. Cleaned out the egg and loaded with fresh lump and cherry and hickory chunks. I wanted to do a hot and fast so that I wasn't spending all day waiting for it to finish. Set the Flame Boss 200 for 350 and slapped on the brisket. It got to 165 IT in 2.5 hours. I wrapped it in foil and it hit 200 IT in 45 minutes. It never stalled at all. That is a 3-3.5 hour cook for a 12 lbs brisket. Maybe 10 after I trimmed the fat. I checked multiple places with my Thermo Pen. Every place probed 190-205. Is this normal? It probes like butter, so its done. I just didn't expect it this soon.
Thanks for reading.
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• ALTI2DE
    Options
    How's it taste? IMHO, don't complain... If it's tender and tastes good, go with it and win the chili cook off! My ultimate goal is to do a juicy, tender, flavorful brisket and if I get that in 3.5 hours, instead of 12, I'll be one happy camper!
    Puyallup, WA, USA, Earth
    LBGE
    Realtor, Private Pilot, and Novice Egg Head
    Ready to Learn

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is quick and I am no brisket expert, but you were cooking pretty hot plus wrapping in foil will speed things along even more and often power right through the stall. 

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sstripes96
    Options
    I'm not complaining, I just figured it was going to take 6 or 7 hours at least. I know different cuts can vary in cook time but Jeez. Letting it rest before I try a slice. I know that 350 is hot and fast and that the foil will help power thru the stall, but it never stalled at all. The last brisket I did was low and slow and it took 24 hours (15lbs).
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    There have been some threads on here in the past about turbo briskets and coming out just fine.  Doesn't usually have much of a smoke ring, but flavor, tenderness and juiciness is there.  I used to do bracket flats in a ceramic casserole dish with ceramic top at 350 in the oven for a few hours and had a flavorful,  tender, juicy briskets at the end.   The egg is just a bigger vessel and adds smoke to it.  I need to try a turbo briskets sometime on the egg.  How was they chili?  When is the contest? 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mine usually get done in 8-10 hours @250-275. I do inject and wrap almost exclusively. 
  • sstripes96
    Options
    The brisket is juicy and tastes great. The Chili cook off is Wednesday. I'm going to let the brisket cool and cube it Tuesday night.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @SGH has a thread or two about going hot and fast with brisket.  About the only real caution he mentions is that the window for success is quite narrow at those temps.  He was running at around 440*F as I recall.  It's all about the finish-line results.  If you got great flavor and texture then you are there.
    However, for me the major enjoyment is the relaxed pace of a low and slow cook.  SWMBO eggscape time is not to be discounted in my book.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH has a thread or two about going hot and fast with brisket.  About the only real caution he mentions is that the window for success is quite narrow at those temps.  He was running at around 440*F as I recall.  It's all about the finish-line results.  If you got great flavor and texture then you are there.
    However, for me the major enjoyment is the relaxed pace of a low and slow cook.  SWMBO eggscape time is not to be discounted in my book.  FWIW-
    I'm with you most of the time. Only when I have a big party do I get in a rush or uptight. Enjoy the ride , right? Words to live by @lousubcap
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    30 minutes per lb at that temp with the crutch (wrapping) is fairly normal. This was a little faster but not totally out of sorts. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys. As long as it tastes good in the end, that is all that counts.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA