Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats your favorite CC?

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I just save all the rocks from my bags of RO so I can throw them at baddies as needed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited November 2015
    Options
    G26 in a High Noon holster for CC.   I should Mexican carry a 33rd spare mag. If it printed, my image would be "enhanced".  Lol
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I have A sig 2022 in the nightstand and plan on buying a Glock 26 in the near future.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Keltec 380 with front pocket holster.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sweet piece @Davec433!  In 9 or 40?  Also, did you put anything on the accessory rail?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, that's a great, light .380. Did you get any ports put in the barrel aftermarket?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @tarheelmatt, that's a great, light .380. Did you get any ports put in the barrel aftermarket?
    Heck no.. just like I bought it. For a carry item I wanted something light, something I can carry in my front pocket, and something I didn't rrally care about. 

I have S&W M&P 40 I bought that I thought I'd carry, but that was too much to carry.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Tarheelmatt, I know some folks who have that for cc.  One of the gun shop boys recommended porting it (outfit in FL) to improve handling and muzzle jump.  
  • Davec433
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sweet piece @Davec433!  In 9 or 40?  Also, did you put anything on the accessory rail?
    40... I used to shoot it every weekend. I'd come home and my roommate would be lit out of his mind cleaning guns. We also had a Kegerator it was a weird time in my life.
  • Davec433
    Options

bgebrent said:
    @Tarheelmatt, I know some folks who have that for cc.  One of the gun shop boys recommended porting it (outfit in FL) to improve handling and muzzle jump.  
    Personal decision with the porting but I was reading an article whee it was talking about anything that made the gun more "lethal" would be used against you in court if you ended up shooting someone. Don't know exactly how true it is.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Davec433, sounds a bit scary for sure!  I'm hoping you're in a good place with your 2022.  It's a super fine piece!
  • Davec433
    Options
    Thanks! I'll be getting a Ruger 10/22 takedown for birthday/Xmas which I'm looking forward to. I really want to get a M1A Scout Squad as well.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Bro, M1A would be sweet!  Also love Ruger, my 357.  Would effectively slow down an intruder. 
  • Davec433
    Options
    Yeah your 357 would slow down someone's step.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    On the spot @Dave433.  Last image would be a big flash and loud bang.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

I am one helluva law abiding citizen, but anyone that breaks into my house with the intent of harming my family has a BIG surprise coming their way.  There will be one BIG rubber band heading their way. 

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Thanks! I'll be getting a Ruger 10/22 takedown for birthday/Xmas which I'm looking forward to. I really want to get a M1A Scout Squad as well.

I bought a Take-down when they first came out.  First thing you need to do is "Volquartsen" the crap out of it.  Replace the bolt hold open, trigger, and hammer because all the plastic from Ruger is kind of "crunchy".  Then I had the barrel cut down to 16" and threaded (really easy and cheap since you don't have to send the whole gun.)  Finally I put a Williams pic rail / rear sight combo and a FastFire II.  Get a couple of the BX25 mags and you're good to go.  Ruger is coming out with a pistol version of it with a bi-pod called the "Charger" 

The M1A Scouts are cool, but if I'm going to lug around a .308, I'm going for range and accuracy.  Think about a longer NM barrel or you're losing out on some of its best capabilities.  I've got a walnut Loaded M1A w/ a Bushnell Elite 5-15x40 w/ NM barrel, sights, & trigger.  Send me an email if you want to talk about it..... rarely use it, and was thinking about something else.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    BTW, make sure you try before you buy on the G26.  Lot of people do not like it, including myself.  I love its slightly bigger brother the G19 & G17 though.  If the G26 is too fat for your hand like it is mine, look at the single stack G43.  You can run into cycling issues on those sub-compacts if you can't keep a firm grip on them.  Also, look at the Springfield XD Mod.2 & XDm subs--their grip is a lot smaller than the G26 yet they're still 13rnd double stacks. 
  • Davec433
    Options
    Volquartsen is expensive!! I just want a cheap 22 for small game and to teach my daughter to shoot later.

We used to have Glck-19s when I was at Ft. Bragg and I loved them definitely s step up from the Beretta. I've held both the 26 and 43 but it would only be for Conceal Carry out and about.

My reason for The M1A was just a bigger caliber to take out game but something I could quickly acquire targets with at a shorter range. I may hav to hit you up after Xmas.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Volquartsen is expensive!! I just want a cheap 22 for small game and to teach my daughter to shoot later.

We used to have Glck-19s when I was at Ft. Bragg and I loved them definitely s step up from the Beretta. I've held both the 26 and 43 but it would only be for Conceal Carry out and about.

My reason for The M1A was just a bigger caliber to take out game but something I could quickly acquire targets with at a shorter range. I may hav to hit you up after Xmas.
    I'm talking about the Volquartsen drop-in parts, not the their guns (yeah those customs are expensive.)  I think it was about $60 to do the hammer, mag release, & bolt release.  The trigger kit is about $100, but it comes with the hammer which is $30-something.  Yeah, it seems silly to spend $300 in work on a $300 gun, but that's what it took for me to get it where I wanted.  Spending another $300 to SBR it is where I drew the line.  :)

Try shooting the G26 first......it can be a handful (no pun intended).  Too wide for me to hold onto or try to conceal.  G43 is a much better size for me, and comfortable to shoot (SA XDs is good too.)  But for CCW, I have a Kahr P380 and PM9.

M1A just sits in the safe, so just give me a shout.  Can send you some pics.  Good looking gun, just rather see it getting used.  :(
  • matt121966
    Options
    s&w shield 9mm. I will not be a victim. When seconds count the police are just minutes away.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • Davec433
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I'll have to give you a shout after the holidays and definitely check out their drop in parts. We messed with the triggers on our Glock and we had nothing but extraction issues and light strikes.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    @stlcharcoal I'll have to give you a shout after the holidays and definitely check out their drop in parts. We messed with the triggers on our Glock and we had nothing but extraction issues and light strikes.
    I've never messed around with Glock triggers.  Pretty easy to swap them out though.....most go with the NY1.  I think someone mentioned it above, I never customize CCW/service guns as you'll get accused of making it more "shootier" in court if you put a "hair trigger" on it.  Same deal if you carry larger caliber than the police (read the Harold Fish case and his 10mm).  Plus, a modified gun gives the manufacturer an excuse to say, "hey we didn't sell it like that, can't sue us!" (as easily at least.)  10/22 is just plinking gun--not worried about that.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have a Taurus. 357 for my nightstand firearm. 
    For CC, I use a Springfield Armory XD-S in. 45 caliber.
    That's a very punchy shooter with it's 3.3 inch barrel, and it does require a bunch of practice, but a great size for carry, and a Hell of a defender.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Sig Sauer P938 for EDC and Kimber CDP II at home for defense.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Do hold the G43 vrs 26.  The new 43 is too narrow for me.   
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
     Same deal if you carry larger caliber than the police 
    Screw that! I'll take my chances. As the old saying goes, the reason I carry a .45 is because they don't make a .46! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    For my CHL a pocket carry Sig P238 (.380) and for the house/car a 9mm HK VP9. 
    I run these in them. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    Options
    Right up my alley there @Mickey!  Ammo matters just as much as machine.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

SA XDs 45, Alabama holster, Magholder.  Have since added Truglo Tritium TFO sights.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."