Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Couple of Newbie Questions

Good Morning All,

Wife bought me a week early birthday present- I picked up my XL yesterday with a nest and plate setter.  I am about to watch some youtube assembly videos, but anything you wish you knew before you put your egg together that wasn't covered?  Also, we cook boneless skinless chicken breast for weekday lunches.  Any tips on temp and setup for that?  I'm going to cook a spatchcock chicken for dinner to practice with temp control but boneless breasts aren't too forgiving.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Bobh83 said:
    Good Morning All,
    Good morning to you as well my friend. And congradulations on the new egg, you are going to love it. As I am exhausted, I will leave your questions for others. But congradulations again and welcome to the forum. Enjoy!!  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Boneless chicken breast I like to run olive oil and what seasoning you like get the egg up to 650 sear 1 min each quarter on my cast iron grate 4 min sear total shut dampers set timer for another 7-10 mins check temp around the 7 min mark
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Welcome aboard.

I usually just cook boneless breasts at 400-450 until they are 155+ meat temp on the Thermopen. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a link to a great ceramic cooking reference site:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  His recipe section has some excellent cooks, as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Welcome, nice bday present!
    Phoenix 
  • Great Bday present. Welcome aboard. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Welcome. Happy Birthday :joy: Solid link from @lousubcap
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Congratulation on the new egg and welcome to the group! Since getting the egg my family has learned to love chicken thighs. They have more flavor than breasts and don't dry out as easily. Chicken thighs and Alabama white sauce (http://amazingribs.com) has become a favorite dinner in my house. Have fun with your new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Happy BD! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Congratulations and welcome aboard!  The search bar in the upper right corner is your friend as is google searching your desired cook plus big green egg.  Enjoy!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Welcome to BGE.  Myself and the other addicts welcome you.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Bobh83
    Bobh83 Posts: 25
    Thanks everyone.  Boneless came out ok, spatchcock was really good but a touch dry on the breast.  Realized I should have loaded the egg in the opposite direction- breast was over the back hot spot.  Also cooked everything at a lower temp than I should have but no failures, all more than edible and quite good.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I doubt you cooked them at a lower temp than you should have.  If you have skin to crisp up, high temps are your friend. But when cooking skinless chicken breasts, lower temps can be your friend.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.