Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket going on! One question...

Options
I have done a few briskets and they have all turned out oretty good.  It's been a while, though.   Fat up or fat down?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I go down, as it adds protection from the heat rising from below.  Meat side up gives me better bark.   t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    You've opened Pandora's box.  It really doesn't matter, but I like mine up just because it burns easier.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Yup...I don't think it makes much difference but I go with cap down as an extra heat shield for the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    So, to open pandoras box further, does turbo work on a brisket, or does it cook better low and slow?
    Athens, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    No. Turbo definitely does NOT work on brisket
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Brisket is an unforgiving MFer
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Don't turbo beef roasts or briskets as far as I'm concerned. Pork, have at it. Beef needs special love above a two pound cut.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If going hotter with brisket,  it better be high grade (Waygu). 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mayberry
    Options
    So stay 225 or lower, or can you get up to 275 and be fine?
    Athens, GA
  • johnnyp
    Options
    225-275 should be fine 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mayberry said:
     Fat up or fat down?
    Makes one ponder doesn't it ;)

Mayberry said:
    So, to open pandoras box further, does turbo work on a brisket, or does it cook better low and slow?
    I won't say which is better, that's a debate for another time. But I will say this, myself, Nola and Cen-Tex cooked 7 briskets in one shot at 440+ degrees. This is not a exaggeration on temp. It was witnessed by several people on this forum. After the 7, me and Nola cooked a pastrami and a corned brisket at the very same, 440 degrees. At the end of the cook, due to time constraints we actually bumped up to 475 to finish the two. Anyone watching saw that I worked a little hocus pocus that I normally would skip when cooking brisket. However at these temps it's all but necessary to prevent drying them out. So to answer the question at hand, yes sir, you can turbo them. But you better have your ducks in a row and keep your eyes on things or you will be eating shoe leather. Things can go sour real quick when you push the throttle to the floor with brisket. If you have never done it, I don't recommend it my friend. Run a more manageable 275-295 if you start running short of time. If time is not a issue, kick back, relax and enjoy the ride. For select and choice grade, I much prefer to run 275 and lower. I have ran as low as 200 when time allowed. For Wagyu Gold, I like 275-295. And remember that all of the above is just one mans opinions and way of doing things. Your mileage may vary or differ. For clarity, your title said "one question". You actually asked two. Yep, I caught that ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mayberry
    Options
    Well, it went on about 9pm.   Now the wait...
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, SGH.   I dialed it in right at 240 grate temp, 225 dome temp.  I've done nothing since.  I Normally start spritzing pork with half cider/half vinegar.    Should I spritz the brisket, too, or just leave it alone and let it roll.   It's in the stall right now.   Seems to be coming out of it.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    And yes, One Question turned into muliple questions.    Sorry about that.   But you know how it goes on here.   :-)
    Athens, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mayberry said:
      Should I spritz the brisket, too, or just leave it alone and let it roll.   
    Brother that's really a judgement call. However I will offer this, when cooking brisket on the BGE, I never spritz. I just don't see the need. However when cooking on one of the big wood fired units, I will spritz to remove particulate build up if I let the fire get a little dirty. If it's looking good, I would leave it alone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @SGH will tell you that whether or not you wrap a brisket is a matter of preference.  Some would wrap in butcher paper at this point and some would wrap with foil and many would leave it naked.  I don't know any body that spritzes their brisket because it would soften the bark.  I find the butcher paper gives me the right combination of good bark and moist meat that I am looking for.  And when I slice it I have brisket juice in the bottom of the paper to drag each slice through on its way to the plate. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Just an observation but it looks like your temperature probe may be in the point.  If so, I would move it to the thickest part of the flat.  The point is just along for the ride.  It does not play into sorting out the finish-line for a brisket cook.  The point will be lose and ready to go whenever the flat "declares victory".  Enjoy the rest of the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    You are correct, sir.    Moved it to the flat.   Still 160.   Rolling along....
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Options

Athens, GA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @SGH will tell you that whether or not you wrap a brisket is a matter of preference.  Some would wrap in butcher paper at this point and some would wrap with foil and many would leave it naked.  I don't know any body that spritzes their brisket because it would soften the bark.  I find the butcher paper gives me the right combination of good bark and moist meat that I am looking for.  And when I slice it I have brisket juice in the bottom of the paper to drag each slice through on its way to the plate. 
    I know several that spritz their briskets!  In fact, you had brisket from one who does...Aaron Franklin.  How'd you like his bark?    =)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mayberry
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I hope it isn't messed up.   Buddy came over, opened lid and forgot to close it.   It was open for 20 minutes before I realized.  Internal temp dropped from 190 to 188.    I hope that didn't dry it out.   Thoughts?
    Athens, GA
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    If the lid was open for 20 min I'd be more worried that your fire is going to be super hot and you're going to burn the bottom of the brisket. At that temp you're reasonably close to tenderness and you could finish in the oven. You're not going to get any more good smoke flavor from here on out, you just need heat to finish the cook.

For my money I like fat up because I like the taste of a nice rendered fat layer and I don't like it tearing off if it gets sticky (some things LOVE to adhere to a grate).

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Surprisingly, temp went up only to 275.   It's already back down to 248.   I hope I'm good.
    Athens, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Foghorn said:
    I know several that spritz their briskets!  In fact, you had brisket from one who does...Aaron Franklin.  How'd you like his bark?    =)
    @cazzy, it's fair to say that the bark wasn't highlight on his brisket.  It was good as it had good flavor.  I hadn't really thought about it before but I've made and had better bark.

Are you a spritzer?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mayberry
    Options
    Well, turned out great!     Possibly my best one yet.   All 15 lbs were gone in minutes.   Thanks for all the help.
    Athens, GA