Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: No I did not shoot Village Idot. Yet!

Options
2»

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mods ain't playing this morning!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Dobie said:
    Buy lots of ammo now while its cheap, election will drive up prices again. 22 is still priced ridiculously from the last scare. If Hillary gets in, there will be another panic. 
    I love watching the idiots that believe all this nonsense.
    I enjoyed it also until I wanted to buy a couple thousand rounds of .22 for my plinkers.

What's funnier is that Obama has not (and will not) done one single thing to tighten any rules regarding gun ownership. Just the opposite actually. He has signed two laws that actually expanded peoples rights to carry firearms.

The whole panic was just a clever marketing scheme by the NRA and gun and ammo manufacturers to boost sales and to their credit it worked out amazingly well for them.

You'll see the same marketing scheme take effect if Hillary even gets the Democratic nomination - won't even have to wait to see if she is actually elected Prez. :)

Well he did *try* to push regulations further and talked it up so on national TV.  With the media behind it, you better believe the common public was going to believe it. But they got greedy and went for too much, thus the legislation died.  I believe the panic was founded there.  But any organization or business, would be negligent to their share/stake/membership holders if they didn't try to capitalize on that opportunity (whether it was real or just perceived.)  I agree with you on the Hillary deal--it's going to start again if it hasn't already.  But with her running around talking about gun control you can't say it's the NRA or the gun companies making this up.  Unless you think they are making donations to get her to do it??  Doubtful, but that would be an interesting thesis to do for MBA grad school project.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Fear is an incredibly effective economic driver.  Incredibly lucrative if you're on the right side of it.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    slovelad said:
    thats the rockwood of ammo

Thanks man!  That's one of the best compliments I've gotten.  That's some good stuff and it's a b!tch to find at a decent price.  Been wanting to load up ever since those results on the 9mm AmmoQuest series came out.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Realistically, there's a snowball's chance in hell that any existing ammo will be banned...Hillory, Bernie, Trump....doesn't matter.  They can't ban it.  Excluding the stuff that already is, whose ban is pushed primarily by police - Teflon bullets, other bullets that defeat armor like the FHN 5.7x28 - ZERO chance any ADDITIONAL ammo will be banned.  ZERO. 
    Options
    You might want to check out one of the local IDPA matches once you're completely comfortable with the operation of your 9mm. Haven't gone in a couple years myself, but Mike ran a very welcoming group and it was surprisingly affordable. (in the beginning! lol ) If you've never gone before, expect to uncover a few flaws in your game plan. -that's a good thing.

http://www.texastactical.net/

That looks good and close. 
    Will check out. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stlcharcoal
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Realistically, there's a snowball's chance in hell that any existing ammo will be banned...Hillory, Bernie, Trump....doesn't matter.  They can't ban it.  Excluding the stuff that already is, whose ban is pushed primarily by police - Teflon bullets, other bullets that defeat armor like the FHN 5.7x28 - ZERO chance any ADDITIONAL ammo will be banned.  ZERO. 
    Yeah I never thought they would be successful with the M855 green-tip "ban" that circulated earlier this year.  ATF claims it was a "publishing mistake", but either way a panic buy ensued on those things.

The only thing I can see getting banned easily is imports, whether guns or ammo.  Lot easier to go after those since it can be on so many levels.

The one other thing I'll throw out there is the availability of lead.  Two years ago the EPA ordered the last lead smelting plant in the US be closed.  It was in Herculaneum, MO--about 30 minutes south of St. Louis.  Had everyone freaked out.  Lead prices had spiked about 10-15 yrs ago, but have dropped and are holding steady or decreasing even after that plant closed.  Hopefully people continue to recycle because with other countries being our only source for new lead, that could become an issue.....not just for the consumer, but for LEO and military.  Who knows, maybe with Li-ion battery technology, we'll have handheld phasers and rail guns by the time we run out of lead.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    80% of the lead produced from ore in the United States went into batteries, and lead acid batteries have a 98% recycle rate.  The last lead smelting (from ore) plant closed but they continue a recycling operation.  Lead is very abundant - also is a byproduct of copper mining and other minerals. 

Newer battery chemistry is replacing lead, increasingly.  There will never be a lead shortage.  And it is a cheap international commodity.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/apr/25/chain-email/lead-bullets-will-have-come-overseas-after-epa-clo/

Options
    Yeah I never thought they would be successful with the M855 green-tip "ban" that circulated earlier this year.  ATF claims it was a "publishing mistake", but either way a panic buy ensued on those things.

The only thing I can see getting banned easily is imports, whether guns or ammo.  Lot easier to go after those since it can be on so many levels.

The one other thing I'll throw out there is the availability of lead.  Two years ago the EPA ordered the last lead smelting plant in the US be closed.  It was in Herculaneum, MO--about 30 minutes south of St. Louis.  Had everyone freaked out.  Lead prices had spiked about 10-15 yrs ago, but have dropped and are holding steady or decreasing even after that plant closed.  Hopefully people continue to recycle because with other countries being our only source for new lead, that could become an issue.....not just for the consumer, but for LEO and military.  Who knows, maybe with Li-ion battery technology, we'll have handheld phasers and rail guns by the time we run out of lead.
    I agree with banning or at least moving away from lead in bullets. I was at Fort Bragg for 10 years with the firing ranges constantly in use the rainfalls got to go somewhere and it'll probably make it into your tap water.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The problem with lead replacements is cost.  Tin, tungsten, silver, gold, platinum and a bunch of other metals have the density and less toxicity but they're expensive.
    Options
    Buffalo test.....

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Went the 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I went to the range last weekend for the first time in years to shoot my SW .357. Here's 15 yards. Like riding a bike...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The Kimber wasn't too shabby either at 15 yards 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So what happened to 7n6?

Gittin' there...
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I remember the time my wife got on my back about my guns, I had enough and so I took her to gun shop and told her find one test fire it and that i'd buy the one she liked, after test firing a glock 17, she said that'd the one.I got it for her.
  • dogfoot
    Options
    Try these guys, good price and easy to deal with   https://levelupgunclub.com/

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Kimber wasn't too shabby either at 15 yards 

Happy with that at 3 yards. Your .357 not too shabby!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I haven't posted in a while due to travel but the wife and daughter are very concerned about safety and the proper handgun.  Any pointers are appreciated.
    Milton, GA.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    I haven't posted in a while due to travel but the wife and daughter are very concerned about safety and the proper handgun.  Any pointers are appreciated.
    I can pocket carry the Sig P238 in a holster made for pocket carry that doesn't print at all. This for travel and wherThe larger HK is for the house 

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    As a Canucker, all I can say is "wow".  

Not being negatively judgemental, not even close.  Just saying that up here, we are 15 minutes away from having to register our slingshots and steak knives. 
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush