Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whoa! Broil King Keg?

Just had a text via a friend of a friend about a guy who supposedly had an Egg he wanted to sell so I gave him a call. What he had purchased was a Broil King Keg "better than an Egg" so the salesman said.

I'm always suspect when someone wants to get rid of an Egg. And, each time I have run into this situation I offer to go to their home and show them the basics of how to use the Egg. Lighting the charcoal, adjusting temperatures etc. In each instance (6 or 7 times since about 2000) the folks have kept the Egg and been happy about their purchase.

This poor guy bought an $899 double walled metal cooker thinking it was okay.

He's going to get rid of it himself this winter and in the spring go shopping for an Egg. He asked me if I would come with him when he buys his Egg and give him a hand learning about it. He's only in Rhode Island about 40 miles from me so it will be a piece of cake.

I'll be more than happy to help him out to get another poor soul sucked into the vortex of the Cult of the Egg!

Comments

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited November 2015
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but there is nothing wrong with the Broil King Keg. I have one,  I have an BGE and a Kamado Joe Jr. They all cook the same and the food comes out wonderfully on all of them. 
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • BLASPHEMY!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    @Sundown you are a real nice guy.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Thanks Tinyfish, I do what I can for the cause and, Navymom, I hope I didn't imply that the Broil king Keg wasn't any good it's just not an Egg.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited November 2015
    I bought one used for $130 on Craigslist. Flipped it back on Craigslist after some TLC and made a profit of $420 on it. I would have kept it if I wasn't looking at making any good coin off it. Perfect grill for transporting. It can connect to a hitch of a car or truck. No worries about transporting since nothing will crack or break. Perfect grill for tailgating or for cabin trips. At times I wish I would still have it around especially when I'm packing my large egg into a vehicle. 

Super cool of you to help a person out like that!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Sundown said:
    Thanks Tinyfish, I do what I can for the cause and, Navymom, I hope I didn't imply that the Broil king Keg wasn't any good it's just not an Egg.
    True, it's not an Egg but there is nothing really magical about the Egg vs. other kamado cookers.

Any advice given to someone about how to operate an Egg would help speed them on their way to using any other kamado style cooker.

Every type of cooker has its own little quirks and pros and cons.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I have never cooked on one, but have thought about it for bringing along camping or ice fishing. I like the fact it is insulated and not breakable
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I have one, and it's not to be confused with the Acorn.  The bkk is well built. I moved across the country twice with mine.m was a steal at $250 back in the day, but price slowly crept up to $900.   I'd get another if I found one for $500 or less on craigslist. In fact, if buying used, it's way better than a used bge since you don't have to worry about the warranty so much
  • I look for a used BKK everyday here locally, as I do BGE's. I love my eggs, but they don't hold heat as well as my double walled, insulated bubba keg. It hooks up to a hitch too. It's cool. It's not an all weather monster like the eggs tho. Eventually, it will wear out, so I keep it in the shed to prolong it. The eggs just stay in the elements tho.