Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Why are gas prices fluctuating so much?

Options

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    I wish I was paying $1.89 / Gallon, here in Canada we pay on average right now $1.00 / Litre , 3.785 Litres = 1 Gallon.  That is about $7.15 per Gallon!!!  Go figure!
    I don't think your math is right.  $1.00 canadian per liter converts to 2.84 USD/gallon.
    NOLA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    henapple said:
    The price keeps fluctuating because they're always changing those numbers on the signs. 
    Those jerks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    that vapor stuff would explain the tough rumbling startups im getting right now on warm days, truck sounds like its going to explode for the first couple minutes, i hate this gas, bad startups, bad gas mileage, towing is almost impossible
    Sounds like you're getting predetonation - if you don't have an ECU with anti-knock sensors you can retard your timing or bump up to a higher octane.  That's really bad for your engine.
    it only happens when its around 70 degrees out and i have the winter gas in there. we just went thru some days where it was high 20's in the morning with close to 70 by noon, truck starts up fine in the cold.  another week i i wont have this issue til end of march with warmer days and the summer gas comes out about then so its just a few weeks again. it can also be an issue with the return gas line to the tank, had an oring on the return line to the tank go (return line has to have back pressure) pressure dropped and the truck was undrivable. the vapor increase mentioned in the article will do the same thing with that return line but by overpressurizing it. i think ive replaced everything on that truck but the engine thats mechanical, a new engine would make it new again =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That makes sense.  Butane is probably your main culprit. 
    Options
    Prices are lower down here.  1.85 or so last week,  now it's 1.78.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    YYZegger said:
    I wish I was paying $1.89 / Gallon, here in Canada we pay on average right now $1.00 / Litre , 3.785 Litres = 1 Gallon.  That is about $7.15 per Gallon!!!  Go figure!
    I don't think your math is right.  $1.00 canadian per liter converts to 2.84 USD/gallon.
    I did make an error, you are correct,but your math is also incorrect if you simply base it on  dollar for dollar, 1 gallon of gas in Canada costs me $3.79 Cdn  where as in the USA it costs $2.00 USA per gallon.  This is strictly based on both of us using our own currencies in our own countries.  Not really sure what I was thinking when I wrote my original post, no explanation other than I Need more Coffee!  I believe you are assuming I am exchanging money and buying gas in the USA at your calculation?  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    $1Cnd = 1L
    3.78L = 1Gal = $3.78Cnd
    Apply exchange rate = $2.84 USD/gal 
    Apples to Apples vs $2 USD/gal in US

Options
    $1Cnd = 1L
    3.78L = 1Gal = $3.78Cnd
    Apply exchange rate = $2.84 USD/gal 
    Apples to Apples vs $2 USD/gal in US

Yep, that's the conversion I was using.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Interesting article. This was an interesting statement "Gasoline is a commodity, and yet the price-setting system has only a loose relationship to supply and demand."

I think based on the article, I'm going to start burning RO only in the winter and maybe RW in the summer until someone comes up with summer and winter lump blends.  Or wait, should I use RO in the summer because the VOCs will boil off more quickly?  I'm confused.  What's the best lump?
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    So jealous looking at all of these gas prices outside of good old California. As I was filling my wife's car this week (Premium, Costco, $2.99/gal) I was looking at the taxes posted on the side of the fuel pump.

After they did their first round of Cap n Trade, prices fluctuated so much nobody was really sure how much that raised the price of gas (rumored to be about 10 cents/gallon), but...

Fed Tax: 18.9/gal
    State tax: 39.5/gal (+ Cap n Trade)
    County sales tax: 8%

No wonder our prices are so high (yet they still say they're not making enough money and want to start charging us per mile we drive)....

We're already around a dollar per gallon higher than any of the other Contiguous States. Wonder how bad it will be in the future as our Gov turns us on to "Greener" fuels?

I love my State.......
    South SLO County
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Aren't there are some other programs and services that your state and your county could eliminate and thereby allow you to avoid paying those taxes?
    That still leaves the federal gas tax, but . . .

Just asking.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    So jealous looking at all of these gas prices outside of good old California. As I was filling my wife's car this week (Premium, Costco, $2.99/gal) I was looking at the taxes posted on the side of the fuel pump.

After they did their first round of Cap n Trade, prices fluctuated so much nobody was really sure how much that raised the price of gas (rumored to be about 10 cents/gallon), but...

No wonder our prices are so high (yet they still say they're not making enough money and want to start charging us per mile we drive)....

We're already around a dollar per gallon higher than any of the other Contiguous States. Wonder how bad it will be in the future as our Gov turns us on to "Greener" fuels?

I love my State.......
    California doesn't even have the highest combined gas taxes of the lower 48 states. That honor belongs to Pennsylvania.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I wouldn't mind paying a little more gas tax if they fixed the **** roads.
    Options

Commie.
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The problem is you are always going to pay more. They are just going to continue to do less. They don't really care about the roads, just getting your money. It's sad, but it's so. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Therefore, no reason to pay more.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Oh.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Options
    Maybe Lakeview should impose their own gas tax.
    NOLA
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Lowest I've paid over the last 6 months is $1.73.  Highest, $2.05
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:

I love my State.......
    Southern California has a road problem probably unmatched in the country. All the roads are filled beyond capacity, and the property values are so high it costs billions just to get new right of way. I don't recall the road number, but not long ago there was report of a new stretch that cost about a billion per mile to widen and rebuild, and the projection was that it would reach maximum capacity quicker than it took to build.

There was a video game called Sim City that was modeled on historic statistics. The "Sims" loved to drive their cars. So the player, as mayor, would build nice 4 lane highways. The Sims would re-elect the mayor, flood the roasds w. vehicles, and then start complaining about the congestion and the condition of the roads. When the "mayor" raised taxes to fix the roads, and or expand them, well, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Legume
    Options
    carrying capacity of roads will triple with driverless cars, but with drones everywhere, we'll have less reason to leave our couches and therefore fewer cars on the road.  we'll be fine, once I get my jetson's jet pack, I'll just fly above the **** roads
  • Legume
    Options
    damn, thought shjtty was ok
  • Legume
    Options
    I wouldn't have any problem with this, but which roads, the ones cities are responsible for?  counties?  states? Is fed responsible for any roads, or just provide hwy funds to states for interstates?

we're just off of a road that is part county and part city.  there are sections near a school that need to be upgraded, but city and county have played hot potato for years with it.

Anyway, agree a raise in these taxes would be fine with me, if they money goes to something related to gas - like roads, bridges, etc.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    henapple said:
    The price keeps fluctuating because they're always changing those numbers on the signs. 
    So it is a sign problem, makes sense
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Legume said:
    I wouldn't have any problem with this, but which roads, the ones cities are responsible for?  counties?  states? Is fed responsible for any roads, or just provide hwy funds to states for interstates?

we're just off of a road that is part county and part city.  there are sections near a school that need to be upgraded, but city and county have played hot potato for years with it.

Anyway, agree a raise in these taxes would be fine with me, if they money goes to something related to gas - like roads, bridges, etc.
    They need to fkn figure that out.  It's not impossible.  Maybe it is with all the clowns we elected into office attaching bs to the bills and unwilling to change the funding.

Bottom line: more traffic.  You don't get that time back.  Ever.

I've spent $700 this year on tires and windshields damaged by lousy roads.  And I'm about to spend another $780 because my windshield broke last week....at least that rock was from road work.
    Options
    Hotch said:
    henapple said:
    Suddenly, it came to me. Make electric gas signs illegal. Well, not illegal. You just have to read and agree to a terms of use whenever you look at one that has changed, because that's copyrighted proprietary information. Unless the signs are painted by hand, and changed by people on ladders, 'cause they're grandfathered in. Less price fluctuation, more employment. 2 birds, 1 stone.
  • Legume
    Options
    More people working is more traffic, greater unemployment reduces commute times.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Legume said:

They need to fkn figure that out.  It's not impossible.  Maybe it is with all the clowns we elected into office attaching bs to the bills and unwilling to change the funding.

Bottom line: more traffic.  You don't get that time back.  Ever.

I've spent $700 this year on tires and windshields damaged by lousy roads.  And I'm about to spend another $780 because my windshield broke last week....at least that rock was from road work.
    Are you opposed to comprehensive coverage on your vehicle for a reason or do do you have it but not want to use it?
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Hotch said:
    henapple said:
    Suddenly, it came to me. Make electric gas signs illegal. Well, not illegal. You just have to read and agree to a terms of use whenever you look at one that has changed, because that's copyrighted proprietary information. Unless the signs are painted by hand, and changed by people on ladders, 'cause they're grandfathered in. Less price fluctuation, more employment. 2 birds, 1 stone.
    You just put my brain in a blender... And I loved it