Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 Day Dry Aged Ribeye

Options

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Awesome job on the steaks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dude! Serious props Dwayne!  Digging the animated gif too :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2015
    Options
      The main disadvantages to a home refrigerator are 1) grossing out a significant other and 2) low humidity
    That's precisely why I prefer UMAi Dry bags for my dry aging and it keeps peace in the family. I bag the meat, place it on a wire rack at the bottom of the kitchen refrigerator and then place jars in front. Out of sight - out of mind!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have a dedicated beer/meat fridge. I highly recommend one, or maybe two.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
     that is all I can say.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    we get it.  you like the dry bags.   :)

seriously.  the dude just posted what he did, expresing no preference, and yet twice now with the sales pitch for Umai. one might get the wrong(?) idea you are an investor ;)

no harm no foul, but even when you factor in getting the bags for free, it's still cheaper to just explain to the wife for ten seconds how it all works, and assuming she trusts you, and you both can comprehend what goes into the food you make, you can just use the beer fridge (or the deepest portion of your regular fridge).

there's no reason for anyone to 'obey' anyone else.

soapbox dismounted

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This thread is one example of the forum's greatness. Great info
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    You win!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @DMW, Thing of beauty.  I am going to Costco tomorrow to get a boneless whole ribeye roast to do the same.  You are an inspiration.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Hairless_Hand - Just curious what part of this you disagree with? Or was it a simple fat-finger? I just want to make sure if you really disagree with dry aging beef I can answer any questions you might have.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My home town sucks. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I also suck at life. 
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "The Cen-Tex Smoker" 

The new one on 620?
    Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Interesting. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I know it's way cooler (and definitely cheaper) to do yourself but HEB just opened a new store 1 mile from my house and this is the meat counter. They start at 30 days and go to 90 right out of the case. They will custom age anything you want for as long as you want. I am most pleased by this development. 

Man, everything is bigger in TX
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    HEB is not using UMAdrybags.  :s

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "The Cen-Tex Smoker" 

The new one on 620?
    Yep. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    What is the minimum weight and length of time required to dry age? I've had a store bought dry aged steak; I don't recall liking it any more than a regular 'ol steak. I would like to try it, seems intriguing to me.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I know it's way cooler (and definitely cheaper) to do yourself but HEB just opened a new store 1 mile from my house and this is the meat counter. They start at 30 days and go to 90 right out of the case. They will custom age anything you want for as long as you want. I am most pleased by this development. 

Man, everything is bigger in TX
    You've got that right. My local grocer has one too, but it's 1/5th that size.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Can this be done with a single steak? I would hate to screw up a 14lb piece of meat experimenting? 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @tgs2401 No.  You can try but it will suck.
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Can this be done with a single steak? I would hate to screw up a 14lb piece of meat experimenting? 
    No, not really.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @tgs2401 - You need enough surface to let it crust and dry out... so you can trim it back and have the goodness inside.  If you use a single steak you basically would be trimming most of it away.  Also, full roasts, and sub-primals generally sell for less $/lb than single steaks so it is not as painful with the trimming and moisture loss. 

At minimum you could try with a rib roast - with a good fat cap. Even then expect to lose a certain amount due to trimming.

If you look at the pieces in the case shown above you can see all of them have a continuous fat cap.  That is what the butcher trims off anyway to have a nice presentable steak or roast.  You want to get the meat at this stage (before trimming) and raising the per lb price.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I had a 45 day from the HEB case pictured above last night. It was unreal. It was $24.99 per lb though. I also bought a prime bone-in ribeye that looked more like wagyu the way it was marbled for $9.99lb. We just ate the aged though. It was really good. My son asked "why don't we eat this way every night"? Guess we are cooking up the bone-in tonight.

If you are on the fence about dry aging- I say go for it. I'll probably just buy them one at a time since it's right by they house. I don't want that many pickle jars in my fridge anyway  =)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Janice in accounting has a big dry aging operation.

Options
    DMW said:
    I have a dedicated beer/meat fridge. I highly recommend one, or maybe two.
    Is it wrong that I have 3 refrigerators? One for the wife, one for beer and one for meat.

Johns Creek, Georgia