Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top 10 reasons to use UMAi Dry bags

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited November 2015 in Off Topic
10. Reduce water loss for a juicier steak.
9. No need for a curtain of pickle jars to hide science experiment from wife.
8. Stimulate economy by buying more stuff (presumably made from crude oil feedstocks).
7. More al dente texture due to less thamnidium mold collagenolytic enzymes
6. Less trimming for the squeamish.
5. Act of "bagging meat" very Earnest Hemmingway-ishy.
4. Opening bag is like Christmas present for excitable medical examiner.
3. More efficient use of refrigerator shelf space.  You can stack stuff on bag of dead meat. Like Beer.
2. Divorce lawyers are expensive 
1. If you die before harvesting dry aged beef, obituary is less brutal when rotten meat is bagged.
0. (bonus) Because it pisses off Stike (edit)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    Please feel free to add to list.  Open debate is critical to a free society.
    11.  Because it pisses off stike!  =);)B)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Hilarious!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    It keeps the kid from wanting to poke it every time he goes to the fridge to get cheese sticks or pickles. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You won't get stds 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    True, uncovered meat can get the AIDS!!!!  AIEEEE!!
    edited November 2015
    Juicier is one way to say there is less condensed beef flavor, more water

it's a personal preference which is better.

it doesn't piss me off if you use them. I just have literally never heard one person explain why they use them other than to say their wife won't "let" them do it the tried and true way in the fridge (commando).

i'd live to actually have a discussion, but the simple fact here is that whether it is curing, aging, whatever, people prefer a simple yes/no answer.  And frankly, they prefer to be told things rather than figure things out. 

RRP and I discussed a loooong time ago, with some info from the dry bag folks, the differences in drying between the two methods. 

Commando initially dries faster. But at 45 days or so the rind is thick enough that it slows drying, while the dry bag at this point allows faster drying in comparison. Basically. Around 45 days-60 days they were saying the drying is the same

my point has always been, a person ought to understand the tools they are using

i don't begrudge a guy using them. Or even getting them free for running their forum. But i do think when some OP posts a nice cook he did after aging his own way, we don't need an unsolicited commercial for Umai. I could see if the guy asked about them or even if someone else had. 

Does StCharcoal mentions how great his charcoal is every time someone mentions Royal Oak? No. 

call me crazy. Just thought the dude who posted his cook did fine and didn't need any training wheels, especially when he didnt ask for any
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Wednesday is shaping up once again to be the new Friday...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Wednesday is shaping up once again to be the new Friday...
    It's always Friday on the forum ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bags
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I'm willing to do a side by side test of bags or no bags in the steak locker that @SGH posted yesterday. All I need is the financing for the steak locker, the steak and the bags...... =)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    UMAI bags are fun bags and everyone likes fun bags.
    They hold Hotdog Sandwiches!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    I see what you did there ;)
    I wasn't expecting the essay. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I wasn't expecting the essay. 
    I was...
  • What is the minimum weight and length of time required to dry age? I've had a store bought dry aged steak; I don't recall liking it any more than a regular 'ol steak. I would like to try it, seems intriguing to me.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• nolaegghead

What is the minimum weight and length of time required to dry age? I've had a store bought dry aged steak; I don't recall liking it any more than a regular 'ol steak. I would like to try it, seems intriguing to me.

@mgoblue0484 Stick with primals and subprimals.  Depends on what it is.  You could cut a standing rib roast in half and dry age half of it.  There's more waste the smaller your cut, and a small cut like a steak would dry out before it could fully age.  I would say meat is typically aged a minimum of 21 days all the way up to 60 days.  You could go shorter or longer for less or more of the effect.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If my wife new how much this forum cost me every year I wouldn't be able to come out to play anymore...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • #1: You just have too much freakin' money.

Steve 

Caledon, ON