Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin

SWMBOed was out yesterday, so I decided to get after a meal for us. Thanks to @Griffin for this one. Pre-fried the bacon, before wrapping it around the medallions. Hey Griffin, if ya feel like elaborating your method, I'd love to hear it. Melted some butter, added a clove of garlic and some jalepeno mustard and a tiny bit of rub. Put that into the fridge to solidify.
Grilled the meat @ 400 direct rotating as needed. Tricky part of this cook is getting the bacon pre-cooked enough so the pork doesn't dry out. It was a tad bit dry for my liking, so will have to fine tune how to get the bacon done. Otherwise it was great.
SWMBO loved the meal. Thanks for looking :)
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Looks great.  Did a tenderloin tonight myself.  Left it whole and wrapped it in bacon. Went direct 375ish til 145.  Then sliced.  Took about 40 minutes.   Love it!   Great job.  
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Looks great, man! I make pork medallions just like that all the time. I've grabbed the torch to crisp up the bacon before. Not perfect, but I'd rather do that than over cook the tenderloin. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • @marysvilleegger @Tbent Thanks guys, Appriecate it. Next time I will pre-do the bacon just a little bit more than this time. That is part of the fun, fine tuning, and adjusting to see what happens. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That's gotta happen at my house!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @YukonRon please let us all see it when it happens ok?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me brother sniffer. You said above that you have trouble getting the bacon done. Slice your bacon thin. Works like a charm. I like to bacon wrap just about everything I cook. The slicing it thin does the trick.

Brother sniffer, at your request I will gladly remove these pics. Posted them to show the bacon my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    @YukonRon please let us all see it when it happens ok?
    Will do. I think I am going to try skewering the bacon and cooking it for a while until close to rigid, then skewer the tenderloin wrapped with the bacon until 140F ish IT,  using a pineapple juice and teriyaki sauce to baste with. We will see how that works out. I will figure something out, hopefully.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Where did you see my method? Here or on the blog? What part do you need elaborating on? I'd probably get the thinnest sliced bacon you can find and nuke it in the microwave for a bit. Try 30 seconds to a minute. You want it cooked a bit, but still pliable enough to wrap around the medallions.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited November 2015
    @SGH Please don't remove the pics, it is all good and it  may benefit others.
    I haven't done my own bacon in a while so I am using store bought :o
    so i'll try to get thin sliced if possible. 
    At my request you must post more pics ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • @Griffin Hey I saw it on your blog. I tried cooking the  bacon on a cast iron pan I probably should have grilled it longer. I give the micro wave a try too. Thanks
    Large, small, and a mini
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244

trying this tonight - suggestions for pre making the bacon?  I only have thicker bacon strips so I wanted to get this right.  put the bacon on paper towels and ON a plate in the microwave?