Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

Options
I wasn't sure how to cook these, so I poked around here a bit and chose raised direct at 400-450. I cooked 10 min per side and then checked temp. The smaller ones were perfectly done at that point. I finished the rest to temp, flipping and moving them around the grill to get some sear on the ones that were still a little under done. 

They were some of the best chicken breasts I've ever had. IMHO, this is the ticket. 
Powder Springs, GA

Comments

• DGarner211
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good cook brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Very nice! What was the final internal temp you were looking to reach?

boneless, skinless is so tough to do with good flavor.

thanks for sharing !
  • DGarner211
    Options
    I pulled them at 160. Let them rest a few minutes and then ate. 
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Brine or no brine before cooking? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Killer cook! I use teriyaki/pineapple juice marinade for about an hour, then cook raised indirect to 160F. Delicious with pecan and peach smoke.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks awesome! skinless chicken breast are my achillees heel. They either come out too dry, or little flavor, but I will keep trying! and these look great!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DGarner211
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    Brine or no brine before cooking? 
    I marinaded them overnight in some commercial garlic and herb marinade.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I marinade mine in Walkerswood jerk overnight & they are killer.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DGarner211
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I marinade mine in Walkerswood jerk overnight & the are killer.

I want to try jerk chicken one day.  I'm afraid it would be too spicy for my kids, but I'm going to separate out a couple next time and try it.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Neil Gunn
    Options
    bud812 said:

I want to try jerk chicken one day.  I'm afraid it would be too spicy for my kids, but I'm going to separate out a couple next time and try it.
    A good MILD jerk marinade that won't be too spicy is: 3 Tbsp McCormick Caribbean Jerk Seasoning, 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, 2 TBSP soy sauce, and 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar. If you want more heat, you can add a good jerk paste such as Walkerswood to the marinade.
  • jonnymack
    Options
    I've had great luck with 350 indirect for about 40 minutes. Perfect 165, juicy as hell. I use Oakridge secret weapon and rib dominator rubs. Throw a couple chunks of wood and you are set brother. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Downr@nge
    Options
    bud812 said:

If you want to try jerk chicken someday, try this recipe:  https://youtu.be/Xq_wI48PpGQ

I make my own jerk marinade from scratch and its a million times better than that super salty Walkerswood crap.  Try making it from scratch and you can control how much heat the marinade has by cutting out some of the Scotch Bonnet Peppers (aka habanero, well, not really, its a substitute).  Once you make it from scratch, you will never go back to that bottled crap again.
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been going 400 raised direct myself. They are usually a last minute meal for me so they just get a rubdown with swamp venom or bone suckin and sauced with whatever I have on hand.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great. The secret is cooking to right temp. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Looks great. The secret is cooking to right temp. 
    This is absolutely critical.  I've been on a kick lately of just using herb salt and pepper, cooking raised direct somewhere between 350-400 until IT of 165.  Then I'll serve topped with homemade or a good quality store bought salsa.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Agree that getting the temp is key.  Since there is no skin to crisp, cooking at lower temps will give you a greater time window from when the meat is done before it is overdone. It will take a bit more time to cook but it is easier to prevent overcooking. The longer cooking time will also give more time for the chicken to pick up more smoke flavor.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.