Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipes for Homemade Turkey Sausage?

Options
We are officially in the season for super duper cheap whole turkey deals at our local grocery stores.  Food Lion will have whole turkeys for 59 cents per lb starting tomorrow.  With that being said, does anyone have any decent homemade turkey sausage recipes or resources you'd care to share?  I'm specifically looking for a good turkey bratwurst recipe that isn't super dry.  TIA!  

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have no doubt you will nail this like you usually do. Please post pics when you do. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I have no doubt you will nail this like you usually do. Please post pics when you do. 
    Ha!!  Thx for the faith!  ;)  I will be using my KA meat grinder / sausage stuffer attachment.  It isn't completely user friendly for sausage making, but it'll work.  I would imagine a good venison brat recipe would be a good substitute since the leanness of the meat is similar.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    We have the annual buy a ham get a turkey free special going for the next couple weeks. Unfortunately the ham is a water added product that is more suited for sandwich meat then actually serving as a holiday ham, but still a pretty good deal. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dyal_SC
    Brother I have been awake for almost 24 hours. As such, my mind is not working and I don't feel like typing. With that said, I gladly share the link below. It contains a wealth of old school info. All the info has been archived and as such the site is sketchy and hard to use. But if you will take the time to navigate through it, I give you my word that there is something there that you will like. It is truly a wealth of info and great recipes. Hope that you enjoy.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm no expert, but since I need to stay away from most "normal" sausages, I went looking for stuff I could control (sodium and fat). I have made these only with ground chicken thighs (B/S, no fat added) They aren't pork sausages, that's for sure, but they're pretty good. Home ground is much better than pre-ground from the grocery store. 

Haven't tried turkey, but as the recipes say, pick a meat, any meat. 

Hope you like it. I've tried everything except the mild country sausage. 

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/homemade-sausage?page=0,1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC
    If you use the link above, there are several sub categories that you can access with the drop down menu. Check them out as well. All kinds of info on cures, stuffers, grinders, etc,etc.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thanks @SGH!!!  This is perfect.  I'll give one or two of these a go and letcha know how they turn out.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx @Carolina Q !  I'll look into that one as well!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    PS, the Rodale recipes I linked above are not cured. Just fresh meat and seasonings. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks @SGH!!!  This is perfect.  
    My pleasure.  As stated earlier, the site is real hard to use. But if you will work your way through it, it contains a wealth of old school info. It gets back to the real basics. Cuts out a lot of the fluff if you will. 

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Carolina Q  Ruhlman's Charcuterie calls for 1 cup ice-cold liquid every 5lb of meat, I wonder if Rodale forgot to mention it, deliberately omitted it, or assume it's a given. I find it easier to stuff with liquid.
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Beats me, I've never stuffed sausages. Just breakfast patties, crumbled on pizza or with peppers and onions, etc. Just curious, what kind of liquid? I haven't read Ruhlman... I'm afraid to! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Water, beer and wine are common. If I remember right the purpose is to help distribute the seasoning, and lubricate (the stuffing process and the cook!). Charcuterie is one of few cook books I own, great for novice like me.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Water, beer and wine are common. If I remember right the purpose is to help distribute the seasoning, and lubricate (the stuffing process and the cook!). Charcuterie is one of few cook books I own, great for novice like me.
    Thanks. I'm a novice too (or even less). I've been tempted to buy the book, but I'm afraid to know how! Sorta like a great donut... if I knew HOW to make 'em, I probably would!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut