Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do some really like the looftlighter over a $10 electric charcoal starter?

Options
I really want to know what I'm doing wrong with the looftlighter.

standard electric charcoal lighter...pile up the charcoal around the element and walk away for 8 minutes...

Looftlighter...pile up the charcoal and hold that damn button until it lights?

I'm f-ing lazy a $10 electric ligher beats the hell out of a looflighter all day long.

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    you know what I'm done giving "her" the benefit of doubt, I'm on my own

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Is "her" the Looftlighter?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Chillin@5
    Options
    I got one as a gift - thought it would be a waste of money. After getting the hang of it, I wouldn't go without it. The fan gets  The fire going faster, and also stokes the fire if temp start dropping  during low and slow. 
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have tried everything possible I think. I started out with the starter cubes. Then I switched to an oil soaked paper towel. Then a heat gun and finally a mapp torch. 

The mapp torch is my preferred method. 

• lwrehm
    Options
    yes, HER is the looftlighter.  Plain ol' electric charcoal starter is much, mush easier and faster .
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use the Weber starter cubes, they work extremely well, and you get 20 of them for $3.50. I only need one to light my large BGE.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • lwrehm
    Options
    Might be the Killepitsch talking but the looflighter is not worth the effort when Menard's has an electric starter foe $8-$10.   I can buy 4 for what my wife spent on one looftlighter.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like my looftlighter, especially the fan that spreads the fire to the size I want.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have found that Killepitsch is a truth serum. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use a heat gun. Really like it and it was $20. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'm still on paper towels with a drizzle of veg oil. Works so far.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Until that 8 minute walk away turns into 15 and now the electric starter is melted. That's just what I heard...    =)

I'm a huge Looftlighter fan. However, I've found that not all charcoal works well with it. It's difficult to light the extremely dense lump. What type of charcoal are you using? 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've been using a chimney on the gas grill's side burner.  In 4-5 minutes the chimney is going, just dump into the egg.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• chadpsualum
    Options
    I'm a looftlighter fan.  You're right...you do have to hold a button but I think it's worth the 90 second sacrifice.  I don't seem to have a problem getting a fire going both both low and slow and blazing hot.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    LL is a gimmick...starter cubes are great for a backyard fire starter at best...electric starter is the best hands down.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    edited November 2015
    Options
    what ever blows your dress up around your waist....wife likes our looft lighter cause they ain't no mess and performs as advertised....makes two happy people....her and me!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    LL is a gimmick...starter cubes are great for a backyard fire starter at best...electric starter is the best hands down.
    But it's got a bottle opener on it!!   =)
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I have a Looftlighter and I like it.  For starting a completely fresh batch of lump, it can take longer than relighting a half-used one.  What I like about it is the ability to find a sweet spot to light off, and then expand it from there relatively easily.  Or even craft an open "chimney" to "Looft" into to get a good deep core started from and bridge a few fresh larger pieces over the top.

But, like they say about opinions, I suppose.   ;)

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I'm a huge Looftlighter fan. However, I've found that not all charcoal works well with it. It's difficult to light the extremely dense lump. What type of charcoal are you using? 
    I've used a Looftlighter from the beginning and love it for both the large and mini eggs. I agree with @Big_Green_Craig that there are some types of lump that work better. 

That being said, get a bag of Royal Oak and use the Looftligher. I think you'll be surprised how fast it lights up.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    The weed torch I've found to be the best way to light the egg. I've tried oil & paper towel, starter cubes, electric charcoal lighter, Mapp torch, and finally weed burner. I'd be hard pressed to start it any other way. Quick and easy with the weed torch
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Love my LL
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    I have a Looftlighter and I like it.  For starting a completely fresh batch of lump, it can take longer than relighting a half-used one.  What I like about it is the ability to find a sweet spot to light off, and then expand it from there relatively easily.  Or even craft an open "chimney" to "Looft" into to get a good deep core started from and bridge a few fresh larger pieces over the top.

But, like they say about opinions, I suppose.   ;)

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
    Have to agree with @GuitarEC.  I only tried the cubes when I first got the BGE and then got the LL last Christmas and really like it.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    My BGE dealer is a friend and he gave me a used LL when I bought the egg. Used it till it broke.  Then went with the cheap $12 electric lighter.  What a waste. Threw that away and got myself a new LL.  Things work great.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Put me in the paper towel/oil side for low and slows.  Throw in the weed burner or MAAP  torch for hotter fires for direct grilling.

I was lucky that I had all of these before I got the eggs, so there was no extra money spent there. Good thing too, because joining this forum has cost me a pretty penny in all of the other accessory/rubs arenas.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I use my electric starter in conjunction with a heat gun.  I only do this because I got a really cheap heat gun and it supposedly only goes up to 500 degrees, which doesn't seem to be enough to light the lump very effectively.  Since I had the electric lighter already they go good hand in hand, the fan in the heat gun really spreads the fire quick.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I use my electric starter in conjunction with a heat gun.  I only do this because I got a really cheap heat gun and it supposedly only goes up to 500 degrees, which doesn't seem to be enough to light the lump very effectively.  Since I had the electric lighter already they go good hand in hand, the fan in the heat gun really spreads the fire quick.
    Poor man's Looftlighter :)  If it works, go for it.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use starter sticks I get from my egg dealer and used to let it just come up to temp on its own.  Now after I light the starter sticks and let it go for a few minutes, I clamp my BBQ Dragon to the side and let it go on high for 10 minutes or so, close the lid and move it to the bottom and blow into the bottom vent.  Gets my XL to 400 in about 15 minutes now.  It is about half the cost of LL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Electric starter works great.  I've had mine for 2 years and works as good as the day I got it as a gift.  Always set the timer on my phone when I start so I don't forget.  Haven't tried a LL yet but may.........one day.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    With a fresh batch of RW, the LL takes me at least 5 minutes to get a few spots with fires started and throws off a whole lot of sparks. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just nuke it from orbit.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike