Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Recommendations

Options
Hi All---Charcoal recommendations?  Also, live in Chicago area.  Any recommendations for using BGE during the winter and heating up times?  Thx
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Winter heat up times are not much different because of insulating qualities of the ceramics.  Which lump?  That's a matter of opinion always in debate here.  I use Royal Oak because it's cheaper than the premiums like Rockwood, I can buy it year round and I can produce great results (if I do say so myself).
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use Royal Oak  :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    I use RO as well.  Lights fast, and its cheap.  Just bought two bags at Home Depot for 12 bucks a piece.  Ive never tried the "premium" stuff.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    scmoose said:
    I use RO as well.  Lights fast, and its cheap.  Just bought two bags at Home Depot for 12 bucks a piece.  Ive never tried the "premium" stuff.
    I have never tried the premium stuff either... I'm too afraid i will like it
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I use RockWood. I tried Cowboy Lump and it was to smokey for me. 5 bucks extra for a bag of lump I like and can depend on, not a big deal for me.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I really like Wicked Good. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Options
    Can get wicked good localy for around 20 bucks I believe.  May give it a try, if my RO supply runs out.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I used RO for a couple of years.  Then I switched to Rockwood.  Its well worth the extra money for me.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you are on a tight budget, Royal Oak isn't to bad.  If you can afford around $20+tax for a 20 pound bag of Rockwood.  Not sure where in Chicago you are, but did a search on the Rockwood's site and found 3 in the area.

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    my two cents - Rockwood is my number 1followed by wicked good.  Tend to burn better with less smoke flavor and gets HOT.  Order 5 bags of rockwood from Firecraft and get free shipping.  Worth every penny and don't look back...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I just couldn't handle the long times that I experienced with RO to burn off VOC's and start to smell good.  I tried Rockwood and WGWW and was hooked from there.  My local (local to the office) also has Cabon Del Sur (sparky but very good) and Forrest Lumps (European hardwood lump - I like it) on their shelves.

The "premiums" as they've been called, all have a very neutral flavor to them as they burn very clean and clear by themselves, great for baking.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ElkhornHusker
    Options
    For me Royal Oak takes a long time to heat up compared to BGE charcoal.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The good one is pretty good stuff. No difference between that and rockwood imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Here ya go...lol..

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood, Carbon Del Sol, mostly, both work well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    Here ya go...lol..
    :pensive: 

Ha.  That's like marketing a hot dog that's "All-natural Prime Angus Steak Cut".  You could even make it with Kobe or Waygu......it's still going to present and function as a hot dog and have some sort of filler or binder in it.  Clever marketing--and while true as to the source of the charcoal component in the slurry--still kind of a misnomer/oxymoron to have those words together. 

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Rockwood. I order online from Firecraft and purchase 5 at a time to get the free shipping. Local store sells Rockwood for $28, no brainer to buy online from Firecraft and save money.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    If only firecraft wasn't back ordered big time these days :( 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    Hi All---Charcoal recommendations?  Also, live in Chicago area.  Any recommendations for using BGE during the winter and heating up times?  Thx 
    Try several different brands yourself. Eventually after repeat buying you'll hone in on one brand or two. One may be slightly better but twice the price.  When comparing lump, buy a bag and then buy it at a later time again. What seemed like great lump may not be so great the next time. What is most important is for you to find lump you like; not what others on the bandwagon like.
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Or one could be much much much better and twice the price. But that is just one mans opinion. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Take a road trip to Springfield, MA and pick up a pallet of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior or Jake's Blend.  Less than $14 a bag.  Burns great.  I use Royal Oak as well sometimes but it smokes more, takes longer to burn clear and imparts a harsh taste at times that the premium brands like , Rockwood, Ozark Oak, Wick Good and some other don't.  Royal Oak is the best of the less costly brands.   It gets cold here in CT and I BGE 12 months a year.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use multiple kinds but have never had an issue with RO. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  I'd love to use your lump.  Firecraft is 2400 miles from me though.  What do you think the chance are that I could get a shipment from them that wouldn't be pulverized?

Phoenix 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I used to use Royal Oak.  OK, but takes a long time to burn off the VOC's.  Then switched to some Rockwood, purchased through Amazon in 30 or 40 lb. bags.  Liked that a lot.  The last batch of Rockwood I purchased wasin smaller bags and was garbage.  Don't know whether it was the manufacturer or the shipping.  Had to throw about  1/2 of it away because it was dust.  Having a coupon at Ace Hardware, I decided to try Wicked Good.  That was an excellent buy.  I plan to choose that again.  Large pieces, slow burning, and few VOC's.  Very fuel efficient.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    bboulier said:
    .  Then switched to some Rockwood, purchased through Amazon in 30 or 40 lb. bags.  Liked that a lot.  The last batch of Rockwood I purchased wasin smaller bags 
    I believe you are thinking of another brand.  We don't have 30-40# bags, nor do we sell through Amazon. 

20# bags via Firecraft is the only mail order option.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Try whatever lump charcoal you can find locally for starters, because whatever you buy (mail order, etc.), there'll likely come a day when you need to dash out and buy an emergency bag on short notice. And it's good to have a hardware store nearby that carries some that's decent 

i am less charcoal obsessed than many here. I stock up on Royal Oak when I can get it at a decent price. But i probably burn more frontier or cowboy than anything else because it's 1.) cheap 2.)easy to find [small town hardware store carries it year round] and 3.) fairly consistent

for about fifteen years running there has been a flavor-of-the-month charcoal that the forum has fawned over. Usually a round robin of rotating makers, with the infatuation lasting a year

every lump that has been maligned here has also been praised equally as vigorously. So. Fukkit

buy what works for you, try a bunch, and keep your head down when someone declares one is superior to another. It's all carbonized hardwood.  You'll get a crappy bag once in a while from everyone 

and realize that some preferences are two sides of the same coin. One guy will love a lump that starts fast, while another says it burns too quickly. Another complains his lump is hard to light, while someone champions it for burning a long time. You can't win, unless you just learn to burn what you have and enjoy it

see also the naked whiz's charcoal reviews. I'm on a phone or i'd link more easily. Just google it
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    bboulier said:
    I used to use Royal Oak.  OK, but takes a long time to burn off the VOC's.  Then switched to some Rockwood, purchased through Amazon in 30 or 40 lb. bags.  Liked that a lot.  The last batch of Rockwood I purchased wasin smaller bags and was garbage.  Don't know whether it was the manufacturer or the shipping.  Had to throw about  1/2 of it away because it was dust.  Having a coupon at Ace Hardware, I decided to try Wicked Good.  That was an excellent buy.  I plan to choose that again.  Large pieces, slow burning, and few VOC's.  Very fuel efficient.
    The larger bags through Amazon was most likely FOGO lump. FOGO and wicked good are a lot alike with large dense pieces that burn really slow. 
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Very helpful.  Happy thanksgiving.  

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• jonnymack
    Options
    Royal Oak is pretty good. I tried Rockwood and didn't notice a marked difference but am trying it again to see if it's my incompetance or if whatever difference there is isn't that important to me. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA