Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket --Go Big or Stay Home

Options
I have cooked most things on the BGE since I put them into operation and everything was wonderful.

Turkey, Pizza and Brisket are three of the things not tried yet.  Today I visited a small local butcher shop for the first time, looking for fresh turkeys to make a trial run.  While I was there I received a little training in the world of Brisket.  I now understand more fully the "Packer" and "Flat".  The butcher took great interest in our discussion about cooking the Packer on the Egg.

So he cut me what I think was a pretty good deal.  He gave me a "Choice", 15 pound, whole packer for $60.  I think that my Vietnam Vet hat might have played into it a little given that this is Veterans Holiday week.  Either way I felt good about the purchase.

I plan to cook it the day after Thanksgiving since I will have about 12 family members here for the holiday.

As always, any tips you guys want to throw my way would be appreciated.  I know that Brisket has been a topic discussed here repeatedly so I will be doing some searching and reading too.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    OK, first you will want to trim the hard fat off that is mostly at the point are and have about a 1/4" of fat for the fat cap on the bottom.  Also remove any silver skin that may still be on the flat.  Rub is a big personal preference here and the basic is just olive oil or cheap yellow mustard, slat and pepper, but I like any good beef rub.  Remember, before you put it on and rub it cut a little corner off were you cut against the grain so you know where to when it is done.  You won't be able to tell with a good bark.  Next how much time do you have to cook it?  I usually trim about 2 pounds of fat or so off a 15 pound brisket and I have found if I smoke at 250 to 275 I get about a pound an hour.  If you go 225 expect it to be about 1.5 hours per pound or so.  If you need to get it done and it is over 160 you could double wrap it in foil and crank the heat up to 300 or so.  I few people here have had better luck keeping the bark crisp, by using butchers paper instead of foil.  It also helps to let it rest for an hour if you can wrapped up.  It helps the moisture to come back in.  You will get a lot of good advice here on brisket.  It can be difficult to get just right the first time, but if you load up your XL with lump and a good wood to add smoke flavor you should be good.  Good Luck and enjoy the ride.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - has great info above.  To add to your learning curve here are a few links worth checking out:

and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php  Regardless of how you approach the cook, aim to finish early as you don't want to be stressing trying to push the cook across the finish-line.  Each brisket will cook at its own pace.  You can easily hold for around 6 hours in a cooler.

Key finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Start checking at around 190*F but it could run into the low 200's.  Also don't worry that the point runs hotter than the flat.  The higher fat content protects it just fine. I cook with the point toward the BGE hinge as that is the hottest cooking area (due to air flow characteristics). It will likely be 5-10 *F (or more) hotter than the flat when you arrive at the promised land but don't worry about it.  And I'm in the slice and eat the point-not the burnt ends crowd.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Good advice given you will be fine.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Enjoy the ride and Thank You for your service to this great Nation. 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @Ladeback69 , @lousubcap , thanks guys.  That is some great info and I will be putting it to use very soon.

@DoubleEgger, thank you.  I was a young dumb kid when I was over there, but made it out.  Who knew that 40 years later being there would give me a cancer that I can't get rid of.

Then again, "Every Day is A Bonus In My World" and I am choking the life out of each and every one of them.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    That thing would cost me at least $120 in the Boston area.... Enjoy.... SRF briskets are cheaper than what I can get around here  :o
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Thank you for your service.    If you plan to feed your crowd the day after Thanksgiving then you need to start the brisket cook Thanksgiving night. I do not know where you live but a brisket takes me 11/2 to 2 hours a pound. Nothing is better than brisket!
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    bill37 said:
    Thank you for your service.    If you plan to feed your crowd the day after Thanksgiving then you need to start the brisket cook Thanksgiving night. I do not know where you live but a brisket takes me 11/2 to 2 hours a pound. Nothing is better than brisket!

Good point.  Probably put it on about midnite and stay up with the family drinking adult beverages.  As I live on the East Coast of Central FL, I could just nap here on the back patio with the egg and check it once in a while.  Weather will mostly likely be nice for a campout that night.  May just pull out the hammock and give it a shot.