Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkeys...To Brine Or Not To Brine

Options
I did two birds last year at Thanksgiving and Christmas, one brined one not and got great reviews on both. If you do brine, what's your go to brine concoction? If you don't brine what's your go to rub and/or injection?
L BGE

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't brine anything. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I brine slow - 5% salt W/V.  Quick brine 10%.  Plus any spices and sugar.  
    Options
    I brine but more because it improved oven roasted results and is less necessary on the egg.  Salt ratios as per Nola's rec above.  Then, carrot, celery, onion, pepper corns, bay leaves, parsley and sage.  It's all taste dependent but I believe the brine does enrich the flavor and moisture (oven much more so than egg).  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    the pot lickers I been feeding would not know what brine is....oh ain't that what they put on the highways in the south right before snow??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Sorry to get off track...never brined and turkeys were juicy when cooked to correct temp and taken off and rested...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a convert to brining. I won't go back. Never did it before because I felt it was a pita. The Briner has changed that for me. I also use their premixed brine packets for all my poultry and pork. I find it to be excellent. Good luck. 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I brine every Turkey I cook even if it made little difference I'd still do it out of habit.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I'm a briner. I have a turkey breast soaking right now. Salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, onion, thyme, fresh sage and parsley and a lemon. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Try dry brining... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm with @Chubbs: No Brine. This is how I go. 
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175
     Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..Equal part: Brown Sugar..½ part: Black Pepper..½ part: Kosher Salt..½ part: Garlic Powder..¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..  Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I brine with Turkey Perfect and it is perfect every time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I used Alton Brown's turkey brine recipe and cooked on the egg several years ago. It was the best turkey I have ever cooked. I think the secret to having crispy skin is allowing the turkey to air dry in the refrigerator 24 Hrs before cooking.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I Brine: 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water.  Plus whatever aromatics.  24 hrs in the  brine followed by 24hrs to dry the skin.   Google Emeril's (yes him) Brined and Roasted Turkey.   The citrus gives it a nice different taste.  Gravy is so good people want to have a bowl of it like soup.  Overall the recipe is labor intensive but well worth it.  Full disclosure: my wife loves my egging but she asks for turkey in the oven (no smoke).  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Davec433
    Options
    bill37 said:
    I brine with Turkey Perfect and it is perfect every time.
    Just picked up two. Gonna do a turkey tomorrow for a dry run before Thanksgiving.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    What is the longest time anyone has brined a turkey?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I don't brine anything. 

I agree, why work harder than you have to, it takes away from beer drinking time. I always cook the easiest way, always turns out great and no one expects more...
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    I have brined turkeys over 25 pounds for   56 hours before. Didn't really see any advantage so I went back to 48 hours on the 25+ pounders. I know a few Thunder Gods who brine the extremely large birds for 72 hours. I haven't done this myself, but they seem to like it. 56 hours has been my max. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I do salt and sugar. When an egg floats in it, then your brine is ready. If the egg sinks, add more salt and sugar. Then I add squeezed lemons and oranges and some aromatics like sage and whatever. 24 hours then air dry in the fridge for 24 hours. Better for baked turkeys. Fried turkeys don't really need it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• CurtisMaximus
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and recipes, I appreciate all replies.
    L BGE
  • Davec433
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    I put the Turkey in the Brine mix Saturday with the intention to cook it on Sunday but Murphy showed up so I'll be cooking it on Wednesday so four days. This will be my longest and I'll probably do the same for Thanksgiving just to avoid the dash for Turkeys all around town depending on how it turns out.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I could never find a turkey that isnt already ~8% solution and I felt like it wasnt going to take any more sodium from the brine.  One thanksgiving I brined one anyway and did one just seasoned on my side smoker side by side and you couldnt tell the difference.

This year will be my first run on the egg, still trying to decide the method.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    If I brine slow - 5% salt W/V.  Quick brine 10%.  Plus any spices and sugar.  
    What is W/V?
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • Davec433
    Options
    Using Turkey Perfect to brine was beyond easy.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I used a wet brine I picked up from World Market last year.  Turkey was a hit, super juicy and had great flavor.  True key to a good turkey is a thermometer so you don't overcook it. it
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    blukat said:
    I used a wet brine I picked up from World Market last year.  Turkey was a hit, super juicy and had great flavor.  True key to a good turkey is a thermometer so you don't overcook it. it
    Just ordered it on amazon, gonna give it a shot this year
  • andrewwesty
    Options
    Got a hankering to try Franklin's (sort of) method on some turkey tonight, figured I'd share my results.
    I used fresh on the bone turkey breasts tonight, just grabbed whatever my grocery had in the case. I didn't have time for a brine, but it was one of those "enriched" birds.
    Removed the skin, used (more or less) Franklin's rub recipie from the book, 2 parts pepper, one part kosher salt, and I threw in some powdered onion and garlic for fun. 
    2 1/2 hours on apple smoke at 275-ish breasts up over a foil pan on the plate setter utilizing a foil ball air gap, then 1 hour in double wrapped foil with a bunch of regular butter, breasts down. 
    Sliced it up, and poured the butter/juice mix from the foil over the sliced turkey. 
    Turned out all right, uber juicy, pepper gave it a slight bite, mixed with the smoke, tasted pretty good over all. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I researched and tried it a couple years ago on a whole turkey and I just don't think it's worth the hassle. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm fully in the dry brining camp. It flavors the meat to the bone. I use 1 T kosher salt per 5 pounds and let sit in the fridge 48 hours. I let breasts brine for 24 hours. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia