Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket(somewhat of a fail)

Options
So I bought a 7 lb brisket flat from Fresh Market on Friday.  Injected it with a beef base and Worcestershire.  Put it on about 10 pm Friday night at around 225 degrees.  About 9:30 am, brisket temp was right at 160 degrees.  Everything was looking great, smelled fantastic.  I wrapped the brisket in double foil, poured a little of some marinade in the foil, and put it back on the egg.  When the brisket temp got up to 200 degrees, I took it off the egg(still in foil) and placed in a dry cooler for a few hours.  When we were ready to eat, I took the brisket out, put on a cutting board to slice.   I could not get the knife to slice it, it literally kind of shredded apart, similar to a pork butt.  While it was still very tasty and tender, I really wanted to slice it.  Did I do something wrong?  Maybe left it on too long?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Were you trying to cut with or across the grain?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Based on your above description, it reads like the brisket continued to self-cook for a while in the foil after you placed it in the cooler.  If it was where you wanted it when you took it off the BGE, and you needed to hold it til time to slice and eat, then it is best to unwrap it and give it around 15-20 minutes sitting on a cooling rack.  This will stop the self-cooking, then wrap in foil and FTC til time to serve.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bullhalsey
    Options
    Thank you...I cut against the grain.....
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I never have had much success cooking a flat......they tend to turn out over done and dry.  I always try and stick with a full packer unless cooking for chili or stew meat.  Secondly, I cook based on how the meat probes for tenderness...not internal temp.  I only use internal temp as an indicator of when to start checking tenderness.  Thirdly, FTC will have carry over and meat will continue to cook - hence shredding instead of slicing.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA