Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crazy time to put brisket on...

Options
2»

Comments

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @EggSmokeVa  See if we had planned this overnighter better, we both would be having two types of meat to eat. =)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Lol!
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Way to quiet, what's the story?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Update, it's 12:45 pacific time EH! =) , and the brisky is doing fine. IT 183. I feel we will be on target time wise. Will post a pic or two when it comes off.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Enjoy the ride 
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks will do. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Last hour I bumped the egg up to 325 to finish it off on time.  The point was coming along but the flat was still not probing easily. An hour later it conceded. It is now FTC for the next hour till company arrives 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Will try to post pics, that is if we don't go into coyote mode and snarf this down. B)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @smokesniffer - future reference, the friggin point is just along for the ride-any temp or feelings there are just teasers.  Home-run on the horizon.  Enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @lousubcap , oh ok, thanks for that info. I pulled it when the flat was probbing nice, it was at 205* 
    Thank you
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @lousubcap  could a person over cook that point by waiting to long for the flat to be done???
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    could a person over cook that point by waiting to long for the flat to be done???
    I do realize that the question was directed to someone else, but I would like to share my thoughts and findings just the same. At times you see some strange things transpire when cooking brisket, however over cooking the point while waiting on the flat is not common at all. Not saying that it's not possible, just not very likely to happen. The point is marbled much better than the flat and contains considerably more connective tissue. As such, the point stands up to cooking time much better than the flat. I can only think of a few circumstances where the point could become overdone before the flat reached doneness. However you would be very unlikely to encounter these conditions. So in general, no you won't over cook the point while waiting on the flat. In 40 years, give or take a little, I have never served a perfect flat with a over cooked point. However I have served several perfect points with over cooked flats. This is the reason why when making burnt ends you cook the brisket until it's done and then remove and cube the point. The point can stand up to farther cooking. The flat can not. Again, is it possible? Sure, it's just highly unlikely. Just my thoughts my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @SGH Thank you for that, I appreciate the info. I really enjoy doing briskets, and do love to hear from the "eggsperts" and veterans. Thanks again.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Here's the finished product. Company enjoyed it. So I'm happy
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Company enjoyed it. So I'm happy
    It always makes one feel good when folks enjoy your cooking. It looks awesome brother. Glad to hear that it was a hit. 

@SGH Thank you for that, I appreciate the info. I really enjoy doing briskets, and do love to hear from the "eggsperts" and veterans. Thanks again.
    My pleasure brother. Always glad to offer what I can. While I'm certainly no eggspert, I appreciate the kind words all the same my friend. Again, great job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Sorry for the fuzzy pic.  While the guests were satisfied, I was a bit disappointed with the outcome. It was tasty but it could have been a bit moister.
     A while back the butcher shop that I shop at, had hired a new young butcher. A few months ago I meet this fella and talked about trimming a packer ( I had a lot of info from a lot of you on this forum regarding this. Some of you even sent me pics of what it should look like after its trimmed... thanks) This time around Tim wasn't working that day. When I came there, on of the other butcher was trimming it. I was concerned that he had trimmed to much fat of and also to much of the deckle was gone.
    The end result today, while good, I feel could have been better had it been trimmed differently.
    Lesson learned, either I make sure "Tim" is there so that the trimming is done more to my liking, or I make sure I"m there to tell them how I want it trimmed.
    All in all it was a good meal and we had a great visit with friends.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Congrats on the cook and results.  As long as your audience was happy you hit a home-run even if it didn't meet your standards.  On to the next one...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.