Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PartyQ BBQ Temperature Controller

Options

I'm thinking about getting one of these and I was hoping to hear about other peoples experiences with the PartyQ. How long do the batteries last? Is the unit waterproof?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I love mine. The batteries in mine have appeared low for several cooks now. I don't use it that often. Only overnighters and parties. Love it paired with the dual probe maverick sold by BGE. It idoes essentially what a Bluetooth device when used together, and you can use them separately. Thumbs up here. 
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    When you say the batteries appeared low is there a built in gauge for the batteries?
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    If you can figure out the battery indicator let me know because mine always looks like it has low batteries. But I use a fresh set of rechargeable batteries for every cook and I have no issues with them lasting overnight. And I use it with a Maverick too, I put the PartyQ probe in the dome and just a single Maverick probe in the meat. 

Not sure on waterproof but I did put a little foil over the control unit last night as I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I love my PartyQ. My experience is that the batteries are good for 15-18 hrs of cooks - maybe longer. It comes with Energizer HD Industrial batteries, I recommend ONLY these batteries. They are available on Amazon, and they are (for what your getting actually very inexpensive).

The 'Q' will tell you when the batteries are getting low and if by some chance they were to die mid-cook, no worries, the 'Q' has memory so it picks up right where you left off.

There is not a feature that senses when the lid on your cooker is open, so what I recommend doing so the egg doesn't ramp up is to turn off the 'Q' when you open the lid, then turn it on when you close it.

I have a Pitmaster IQ 110, which is pretty awesome also, but what i really like about the 'Q' is that their is no cord to plug in, so if your tailgating or camping you don't have to worry about trying to find a power source.

I also recommend buying a protective case for it, there is one on their site that has foam inside.

I 100% recommend the Party Q!

Tim 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    It comes with Energizer HD Industrial batteries, I recommend ONLY these batteries. 

Tim, why do you say ^this^?
    Phoenix 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have the older model and it works perfect.  If you bring the temp up in your egg before connecting the PartyQ, the batteries will last a long time ( multiple low and slow cooks).  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Rechargable batteries are perfectly fine, but it comes with these type HD batteries, I did research and they are rated for government and commercial purposes.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blasting
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Rechargable batteries are perfectly fine, but it comes with these type HD batteries, I did research and they are rated for government and commercial purposes.

I was asking in terms of other non-rechargables.  I put in Kirkland brand batteries and change them before the next cook if the battery indicator comes on.  You're a fan of the HD batteries because of the useful time you get out of them, or are they better suited to the unit in another way?

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Kirkland are fine. I just like using the best product available, but regular batteries work just fine. When the battery is going low, the digital #'s on the Q will start to blink. Here's a picture of my set up.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had my Party Q for somewhat over a year I use rechargeable batteries in mine and I'm very happy with it. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I did not like mine and gave it to Travis. I also did not like my BBQ GURU but I sold it. 
    Hell, they are just not needed. Long live Turbo cooks. No more overnight, no wires ever. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blasting
    Options
    @SoCalTim   Thanks for answering my battery ?'s, and that's a snazzy case you have there.

@medium-rare  It rained during my last cook - partyq was total rainproof with one five gallon bucket on either side and a rubbermaid lid across the top.  It wasn't pretty, but it stayed dry as a bone.
    Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Kirkland are fine. I just like using the best product available, but regular batteries work just fine. When the battery is going low, the digital #'s on the Q will start to blink. Here's a picture of my set up.
    Kirkland batteries are always near the top when Consumer Reports test them.  I think they were like 4th or 5th.  IIRC, Duracell makes them.  Either way, for 50 cents a piece vs. $1+ for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd one.....as long as they last, you're saving a ton.  I use the KS ones in everything but my flashlights which are all rechargeable lithium.