Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is best cook temp for spare ribs - no wrap?

Is 275 grate too high for spare ribs or is 250 a better temp?

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited November 2015

250/275 indirect until they pass the bend test, typically 4/5 hours.

On the no wrap, I do them both ways and when I have the time I 3-1-1 them and enjoy them both way's. When I 3-1-1 I typically sauce them and when I go un foiled I eat them dry.

Love them both ways! 

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • 250/275 indirect until they pass the bend test, typically 4/5 hours.

Follow this advice and you won't be disappointed.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Thanks, 275 it is. I decided to make my own rub this time using Aaron Franklins Recipe. 2 parts pepper, 1 part kosher salt, some garlic and onion powder and paprika for color. Will spritz after 2 hrs with Apple Cider vinegar/ water mix every hour until they pass the bend test.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Assuming you are raised and indirect, anything between 215 and 325 works. More temp means faster time, and perhaps a little less smoke flavor. Below 215, the Egg is hard to keep stable and the cooking takes a loooong time. Above 325, there's a risk of charring the outside. I'm rarely pressed for time, so I go w. 250, and let the temp creep up to 275 or even a bit more.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Bend test works for many but I have found that the toothpick test to be a better indicator.  Probe the thickest rib meat with no resistance and you are there.  This is the only way I have found to address those racks of ribs that you cut to fit on a LBGE, as well.  (XLBGE owners need not comment ;) )

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn said:
    Thanks, 275 it is. I decided to make my own rub this time using Aaron Franklins Recipe. 2 parts pepper, 1 part kosher salt, some garlic and onion powder and paprika for color. Will spritz after 2 hrs with Apple Cider vinegar/ water mix every hour until they pass the bend test.
    Keep an eye on them and be patient.  You'll get there and be very pleased when you do.  Post some pics of your journey,  I like the spritz too, I usually do every 30 minutes depending on how they look.  Enjoy and best of luck!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • dstearn
    At the 2 hour mark prior to spritzing.
  • Looking good
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • dstearn
    They were slightly overcooked at 275 for 5 1/2 hours. Could be because it was a thinner rack of ribs. The flavor profile with the rub was good. Next time I will watch them more to avoid overcooking.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Look damn good from here. Unless you are entering a comp. a little overdone won't hurt anything. I like mine with a bit of tug as well , but getting them perfect requires either luck or constant monitoring. I won't do the latter, and get lucky some of the time. Great looking ribs!
  • Those look wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe