Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scrapple...

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Zippylip's opinion notwithstanding, not even an egg - not even a WEBER - would have saved this! Never tried scrapple before so, when I saw some the other day, I decided to finally give it a try. Fried it up in a skillet for breakfast this morning, served with avocado (because I had a half left over from yesterday), sliced tomato and toast. The taste wasn't horrible, though close, but the texture sure was... MUSH!! 

I gave Mom a bite and it was priceless. Her expression reminded me of the look on my youngest son's face when we fed him liver baby food 30some years ago. A look I will never forget! And yes, he has forgiven us (I think).  =)

PSA... If you aren't from PA or DE (or even if you are) and happen to see it in the market, keep on walking!  Maybe if enough people do that, they'll stop making it. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So you're saying the "S" in scrapple is silent?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's a staple in diners here. Some folks like it. I thinks it's disgusting.....lips and $#&holes ground to mush.  :s
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just put a block from freezer to the fridge last night to thaw. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. Perhaps you didn't serve it properly? :smiley: 

Really, you need to top it with a generous amount of ketchup, and then mash the whole thing together with a fork. Served with over-medium fried eggs so the egg yolk runs out and gets into the scrapple.

My mouth is watering in anticipation...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm quite sure who introduced me to Scrapple (likely my Grandparents) but, it was in Nebraska. It's been many years since I've had it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    So you're saying the "S" in scrapple is silent?
    Pretty much, yup. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I'm not bringing anything into my house that has the word 'crap' in it, let alone eat it. Cover it with ketchup, mayo, mustard, onions and bacon it ain't happening here!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW said:
    I just put a block from freezer to the fridge last night to thaw. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. Perhaps you didn't serve it properly? :smiley: 

Really, you need to top it with a generous amount of ketchup, and then mash the whole thing together with a fork. Served with over-medium fried eggs so the egg yolk runs out and gets into the scrapple.

No offense, but that sounds, well, worse than mine! :rofl:  

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tactical_66
    Options
    I live in SE PA. My wife,who is not a big meat eater loves scrapple. She cooked some up this morning in her cast iron pan. The stuff is horrible, but a staple in PA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Zip fried some up for breakfast once and it was fantastic. Nice texture too

Was about 3/8" thick. 

basically a pate, believe it or not. Ground meat and fat. Hard to go wrong with that. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Zip fried some up for breakfast once and it was fantastic. Nice texture too

Was about 3/8" thick. 

basically a pate, believe it or not. Ground meat and fat. Hard to go wrong with that. 
    That's about how thick I cut it, fried so it had a nice crust. It actually looked pretty good. But...

I wouldn't call it "meat", but it was most assuredly ground!  =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Scrapple is good eats!!!  Its just another form of sausage/pate.  Cut it thin and you can crisp it up completely. Leave it thicker and you can have a nice crispy surface with a nice creamy interior.  Taste is great - pork, a grain (cornmeal, wheat, or buckwheat) and spices ( sage, thyme, savory, black pepper). 

It is after all, the precursor to American meatloaf.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    DMW said:

This ^^.   
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It's a staple in diners here. Some folks like it. I thinks it's disgusting.....lips and $#&holes ground to mush.  :s
    So it's basically a hot dog out of the casing?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Acn said:
    Ah, but is it a SANDWICH? =)

PS: Tasted like no hot dog I ever had, that's for sure!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    Acn said:
    Pretty much.  Major difference is the addition of grains and the final texture will not firm up as much. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Carolina, lets not start the Sandwich thing again, But I will say this, Scrapple pan fried and then topped with baked beans and poached eggs is money. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I've only had a it a few times.  It kind of tastes like Spam to me, but I don't hate it.

A lady from DE made it for me the best I've had it.  She chopped it up and browned it in a pan with some onions, and then threw in eggs and made a great egg scramble.  You had the salty browned meat taste in there with the eggs.  It was quite good.

If you are wondering, after they make hot dogs they take whatever is left of the animal and make scrapple.  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    You guys are doing it wrong.  This is the product you're looking for, lol!
    I'll smoke a block of this and slice it for breakfast.  Great with eggs, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    stuff i had down there tasted like ground salt pork with an equal amount of salt added, then fried. i think its the only diner food ive had to push away from my plate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pictures aren't great, we have a couple bulbs out in the kitchen I need to change...

Frying it up.

Plated with obligatory ketchup.

Smashed up and ready to eat

I wish I could eat like this every morning.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    You guys are doing it wrong.  This is the product you're looking for, lol!
    I'll smoke a block of this and slice it for breakfast.  Great with eggs, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goetta
    Both Goetta and Scrapple are new world adaptations by German immigrants of Knipp.  Distribution of Goetta is even more limited than Scrapple.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I only put Ketchup on things I don't like!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Anyone ever try scrapple with bomba? Zip, you here? Surely you've tried it. I don't have any bomba handy or I'd have some now, just out of curiosity. 

Can't bring myself to try it with ketchup!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It kind of looks like Click, or Spam.  I've never heard of it, and nothing posted so far has put me on a mission to procure it.

People ate differently during the great depression, nostalgia is a funny thing.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i wouldnt waste the bomba. maybe peanut butter and a handfull of raisins =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    i wouldnt waste the bomba. =)
    But you KNOW Marc has! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut