Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: now on OS X El Capitan version 10.11.1 :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Well I took the plunge and seems to be OK - From start too finish it took 6.5 hours. I don't see any problems, but so far haven't seen anything different. Should I? BTW the cleaning that took so long seemed to find a lot of junk slowing my Apple down.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @RRP- Funny, I was about to jump in this AM and said "Let me see if I hear anything from Ron."  So I read a few more mixed bag reviews and decided to wait.  Then along comes your post.  With that time-line it is definitely a weekend project so I will give it a run Sunday.  
    Thanks for the push-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have since read what all the new version does and in all honesty I see nothing that will help me - but I admit I'm pretty vanilla! OTOH one thing I do notice is gone and is now a hassle is deleting trash and junk emails. Before there were two icons at the bottom left and you could hit them to empty and after a confirmation they were gone. Now you have to go up to message, scroll down find that and hit delete. Wonder why they changed that...
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @RRP- thanks for the insights.  Like you I do not push the tech envelope.  But I will go with the update and Sunday seems like a good time.  I hope some Apple power users will provide further enlightenment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    Well...so much for MY being so damn nicely nicely regarding this update! I thought it went fine after 6.5 hours BUT I have been trying for 30 minutes now to upload a new picture from tonight's prime rib cook. Think I could even come close to figuring it out`before going to bed FRUSTRATED??? Friggen update which so far has not shown me jack **** in value for taking the time and effort!!! BLAH!!!!!
  • bi11fish
    Options
    El Capitan eats RAM I had to upgrade my MacBook Pro from 4GB to 16GB of RAM now works great. I had a major slo down with Yosemite and only stumbled upon the upgrade of RAM-the upgrade is easily DIY for the tech challenged.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    My upgrade took about 30minutes.  What did you do for the other 6 hours?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Seems like every upgrade comes with a few screwups. Like the recent iOS upgrade that omitted contacts from search results. The next minor update fixed it. 

Ive heard mixed reviews of El Capitan and haven't bothered trying it yet. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    Options
    All back emergency on the upgrade for now.  Especially since I will need it functional later today.  Maybe next weekend.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    This was my first upgrade in at least 4 years. There are enough minor things that have been moved around, and a few features removed and added that I am still fumbling often enough.

I see that secure trash removal is no longer a Finder option. I've read that the feature was removed because the solid state memory in the new fusion drives could wear out too quickly. But I'm not using one of those, so I don't like not having the option. I could do it from the terminal, a'la old school. Might be worth keeping that practice up.

Also seems like the system is not quite going to sleep. I keep hearing some sort of drive activity in the background.

The semi-transparent menu pains are often harder to read if they happen to open over a contrast-y desktop image

But I am impressed w. over all performance.  Often a number of operations happen much faster than in  previous versions.

• RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:
    The cleaning took nearly 4 hours. Then the download which says will take 30 minutes took over 2 hours and I'm on COMCAST cable and have good speed. I assume doing this during the day on Saturday was a bad idea.
  • RRP
    Options
    bi11fish said:
    El Capitan eats RAM I had to upgrade my MacBook Pro from 4GB to 16GB of RAM now works great. I had a major slo down with Yosemite and only stumbled upon the upgrade of RAM-the upgrade is easily DIY for the tech challenged.
    Mind telling me more about the upgrade?
  • gdenby
    Options
    4Runner said:
    After my upgrade, (At least 6 hours to download) the new spotlight database took nearly 4 hours to finish. I don't have all that much data, but I do have thousands of small text files, and the system assumed I wanted them indexed. That slowed things down enough that i just went and did some yard work till it finished.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I find it much snappier on my two year old Air. No issues...at least now that Office and El Cap are playing well again. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    indexing for me was in the background.  I'm not including the download.  I'm just talking the upgrade process making my machine unavailable.   30 minutes and up and running.

@RRP - how much RAM do you have?  El C doesn't need more than Mavericks....2GB is the min but really would want 4 or more.  I'm have 16.

@CPARKTX - I agree.  My 2010 Mac is much snappier.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gdenby
    Options
    4Runner said:
    indexing for me was in the background.  I'm not including the download.  I'm just talking the upgrade process making my machine unavailable.   30 minutes and up and running.

@RRP - how much RAM do you have?  El C doesn't need more than Mavericks....2GB is the min but really would want 4 or more.  I'm have 16.

@CPARKTX - I agree.  My 2010 Mac is much snappier.  

After the download, there was a 45 minute install estimate, but the real time ended at a little over an hour. The subsequent indexing was in the background, but it soaked resources such that I thought something was seriously wrong 'til I figured out what was happening.

I have 2 memory slots still open, so I might bump the RAM up, but a new machine w. Retina display and Thunderbolt connection are really enticing.
  • RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:

@RRP - how much RAM do you have?  El C doesn't need more than Mavericks....2GB is the min but really would want 4 or more.  

8GB so I guess I'm fine. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    bi11fish said:
    Mind telling me more about the upgrade?
    El Capitan is no more of a RAM hog than Yosemite. OS X redid memory management when they introduced RAM compression back in OS X Mavericks.

If you are experiencing RAM problems in El Capitan it is probably due to some non-Apple software processes. Some software will need to be tweaked to run better under El Cap so some issues will likely be fixed as third party apps get patched over time.

El Capitan's minimum RAM requirement is only 2gb but Apple hasn't sold any computer with less than 4gb for years. However, more RAM is always better and if one is running a Mac with only 4gb but it can be upgraded to more then that is money that is likely well spent.

It all really just depends on how you use your computer. If you usually just have one or two apps open at a time there may not be much advantage to maxing out your RAM.

My iMac has 32 gb of RAM and I run a dozen apps at a time. My MacBook Air only has 4gb so I don't usually run it so hard because of that difference.

Some apps - I'm talking about you Chrome!!! - are notorious memory hogs if you run them "wide open". In the case of Chrome if you're prone to having a dozen windows with a dozen tabs in each Chrome will suck up all the RAM it can.

@RRP - if I recall you said you have an iMac yes? Upgrading the RAM on those is very easy.

Go here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

That page will help you find what upgrades are available for your particular model and there are links to some videos near the bottom of the page that show how to upgrade the RAM. Upgrading the RAM only take a few minutes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    @HeavyG is correct about Chrome, major ram hog from what I have heard. I use safari and am having no issues. 
  • Salmonegg
    Options
    I upgraded by 2013 MBP and my 2013 iMac at work without issue.  I'd been waiting to see if the issues with El Cap and Microsoft Office 2016 had been resolved by the latest patches (and they do seem to be.)  One minor annoyance- on the laptop, the upgrade created a new calendar, "Found In Mail" that Fantasical adopted as the default.  That calendar doesn't sync with google or my phone, so I wasn't seeing appointments created on my laptop for a few days until I figured it out.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    @RRP - Ooops, my bad. Upgrading the RAM on an iMac is very easy or very difficulty depending upon which model you have and the year of manufacture.

I've got a 27" iMac and they are all an easy upgrade. The 21" iMacs can be an easy or difficult upgrade. I had forgotten about some of the 21" models being a bit of a pain in the a$$.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    Since people are discussing their issues with El Cap I still can not find new pictures I uploaded last night and 5 more this morning as tests. They uploaded from my camera just fine, but when I try to find them to post on PhotoBucket I can't locate them.  Any ideas?
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Photos found and links Ok - so never mind!!!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    So in my low-level techno-geek assimilation of the above I guess I am fairly assured of success once I jump in.  But like the cow or the pig, tech always wins.   =)