Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping in Asheville (lots of pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
@Jeremiah wasn't joking.  Campfire Lodgings in Asheville, NC is a beautiful place.  I've only fired up the Mini once, but plan on firing it up again tonight.  Here are a few pics. 

On on the way up, I stopped at Cabelas and found some new-to-me wood chunks -- Rum Barrel and Tequila Barrel.  I ended up grabbing the Rum Barrel and gave it a go yesterday for some pulled beef sliders.

The aroma was fantastic and it tasted awesome on the beef.

Once the the internal temp hit 205, the beef was still a little bit tough -- so I ended up pulling it and placing it into a camping cup along with some beer and BBQ sauce.  

Also so threw on some leftover Zaxby's wings to reheat.  =)

And here are some pix of the area.  We walked up on a bunch of wild turkeys at one point. 

And of course the obligatory campfire pic.  :)

I will add some more pics later on. Plan on doing more site seeing and firing up the Mini again tonight. Might even try to hit up a microbrewery or two.  Stay tuned!

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Beautiful! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Love that place!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Looks awesome and youins are living the good life for sure. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks like a great time! Also appears you've caught the tail end of the fall color. Did y'all ride the parkway or trolley tour??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Good post! As usual livin Dyal Style.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love the outdoors, I love it even more now that we can take the MM to camp with us. Nothing better than hiking  in the mountains, and coming back to killer food. That is when you know how blessed you are.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks quite relaxing. Maybe some wild turkey with the wild turkey? Enjoy!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Absolutely some of God's finest creations up there. Keep the pictures coming.

Wishing you the best with the weather. Back home here staining a new table......and with the humidity ain't getting any drying.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great place!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Looks like a great time and food.  I hope it was fun and not to wet.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Great view, always good food with the Dyals!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx y'all!  @Jeremiah , we ended up driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just got done seeing the Mount Mitchell Summit.  Now we are about to hit up the Highland Brewing Company for a tour.  

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Beautiful pics.  Looks like a great time.  Enjoy Highland Brewing.  Def try the Cold Mountain Winter Warmer if it's available.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Wow nice pictures, enjoy your time there. Those chunks you bought are awesome, I have them and really like them. Take care.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • northGAcock
    Options
    For future reference, there is a great campgrou nd at the base of Mt Mitchel. The hikeing  trail up begins there. Not sure but maybe closed for the winter but a consideration for future camping trips. The South Toe River flows through the campground. The hike up is considered strenuous...at just over 5 miles. ENJOY YOUR DAYS THERE.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful!  Enjoy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @YEMTrey , the wife and I are at Highland now. Really cool place with a great food truck outside with organic grass fed beef and cheese.  Also ust did a tasting of these while waiting for the tour to begin.  I'll get the Cold Mountain Winter Warmer next.  *edit -- just asked for the CMWW and they won't have it available until later in the week.*

@northGAcock , I'm going to hafta shred quite a few pounds before staying at that campground I think.  The walk alone from the parking to the summit about wore me out.  LOL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful place the weather right now is perfect for camping.  can't stand hot weather camping. I've been wanting a carry egg. It's gonna happen. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @YEMTrey , the wife and I are at Highland now. Really cool place with a great food truck outside with organic grass fed beef and cheese.  Also ust did a tasting of these while waiting for the tour to begin.  I'll get the Cold Mountain Winter Warmer next.  *edit -- just asked for the CMWW and they won't have it available until later in the week.*

@northGAcock , I'm going to hafta shred quite a few pounds before staying at that campground I think.  The walk alone from the parking to the summit about wore me out.  LOL
    The trick is to drive to the top.....and walk down. Will need a ride back to th e top though.

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Finishing off our last night here.  Had some rum smoked sriracha garlic legs and pasta salad.  Now enjoying a hot fire and ice cold Highlands Black Mocha Stout.   :)

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks awesome, I gotta get some of those rum barrel chunks.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the pics.  That beef in the pot looks great!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    And yet another reason to have the NC fest close to Asheville. Beautiful places.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2015
    Options

@Dyal_SC  Nice fall camping..some cool weather ..camp fire,,

the mini carrier looks great also. I picked miy mini carrier up on Saturday but it is missing the 6 sided center base piece that the legs attach too...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Asheville is a great place. Asheville in the fall is even better. Got married on a golf course in October there and it was unreal. We go there at least 3 times a year, although the wife goes for the high dollar rentals. Sure wish I could get her to camp...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Sure wish I could get her to camp...
    You just need to spring for that big motor home.