Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked my Goose

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got around to doing my goose on the egg. It was...ok. Was kind of disappointed. I didn't think brining would help a goose because there is so much fat under the skin, I can't fathom how anything would soak in. Salt/pepper/garlic slices stuck in little slits everywhere. Cooked it breast side down for about 2-1/2 and then flipped it. All on a V-rack over a drip pan. MAN did that baby smoke. Little bits of fat dripping on the charcoal all the time created quite a fuss. Surprised I didn't end up with the fire department here. Did have some neighbors peek over the fence to see if I was being torched. There was nearly always a flame licking the bottom of the drip pan from the fat sizzling over the top.[p]A nearly 13lb goose produced enough breast (chest) for maybe 4 servings. The legs were too tendonous (is that a word) to do much with. The rest was too bony to do much with. With all that smoke, I didn't find much smoke flavor! And it was kind of a difficult one to carve.[p]This was a VERY expensive goose ($49). I've done geese before in the oven that I think were a lot more tender, flavorful, and had more yield. Do you think this was just an older, wiser goose that had some life on it, or is there too much fat to produce a civilized goose in the egg? Man, I was hoping for something spectacular...other than my VISA bill.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]At one time, here on the forum, there was doubt and confusion about doing pizza and bread on the Egg. After some experimenting and tring this and that - it became easy. It's just a matter of tring this and that and reporting what happened to the forum. That way others won't do that and will try something else to see if that works. That is the real beauty of the forum. Soon a method will triumph. Unfortunately, goose is not something many will try too often. In my hunting days (worked for Winchester gun & ammo company) I brought home 3-6 geese a year. I agree with many of your comments about them and the breast is the best part for sure. I did always soak in them in salt water (I was brining I guess) to remove the gamey taste. Good luck with the next one.[p]BTW, my favorite goose recipe was to cover in orange marmalade and place in a cooking bag. Can't recall the time or temps.[p]Tim
  • olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    HI MollyShark[p]I hurt my back and didn't even come close to South Carolina much less Atlanta. How did you son like Eggtober fest?[p]Hunting geese has been illegal here for 4-5 years, but they are making a comeback. When we did, we cut the breast out because the legs, as you said are worthless. I don't remember all that much fat in wild geese and they frequently turned out dry, looking like dry roast beef as the wild birds are all dark meat. Never had the egg in those days. I never brined them either and liked the taste.[p]When we cooked them whole we would stuff them with apples. oranges....they were still dry.[p]Henry

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    MollyShark,
    How wise could that goose have been if it ended up in your Egg? Come to think of it, it started out in an egg and ended up in one, too. Kind of prophetic.[p]I think in hindsight that brining would have been good to try. I never cease to be amazed at how much difference it makes when brined poultry comes out so very juicy and tender. Also, could you have pulled some fat from under the skin, perhaps? I've never seen a goose carcass, so I don't know if that would be possible. Just my two cents' worth.
    Cheers,
    Gretl