Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner for tonight - work in progress - Bob is Cookin

Options
Got some guy relatives coming tonight for a weekend fishing trip, dinner tonight will be pulled pork Tacos.  Lit the grill around 8 AM, the meat went on at 8:30 with  Hickory and a little Mesquite for smoke.  Held 260 to 270 all morning, I am opening it up a bit to speed to the finish.  Right now the grate temp is 300, IT is 156.  I plan to wrap at the stall. 

Sides will be cole slaw, and some red beans and rice.  Soaked the dried beans over night, they will go on the egg in my CI DO at about 3:00 with house made Andouille and Tasso, plus a smoked ham hock which I did not cure.

I'll post another pic or two later in the day.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Mesquite for pork butt? That's a new one.....are you from NY or somthing? :) Kidding, looks good man. 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Those deans sound delicious   How long do you cook them on the egg?    Just till the right consistency or is there a time goal?   Thanks
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • GATraveller
    Options
    What did you season the pork with since it's going into tacos?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
     AaronH said:
    Mesquite for pork butt? That's a new one.....are you from NY or somthing? :) Kidding, looks good man. 
    Most of the wood on here is Hickory, just 2 small pieces of Mesquite. 
    What did you season the pork with since it's going into tacos?
    I actually used my normal pork rub - salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder, brown sugar.  I have a Mojito sauce I MAY put on it after pulled, or maybe on the side.

bo31210 said:
    Those deans sound delicious   How long do you cook them on the egg?    Just till the right consistency or is there a time goal?   Thanks
    According to the recipe, the beans should take 2 to 2-1/2 hours, so I put them on a little before 4.  Planning to eat around 7.  I am also planning to cook the rice on the egg.  

Here are a couple of in progress pics.  The pork is showing 200 IT, I am going to check and see if it is ready for the FTC

Rochester, NY
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Looking good   Going to give the red beans a try   Never even considered it 
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Cookinbob
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Beans were great. I even cooked the rice in the egg In a 2 qt CI pot. Bean recipe was from Emeril, found on line. Excellent. Sorry no plated pics. It was pandemonium at dinner time. 
    Rochester, NY
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Cookinbob sai. It was pandemonium at dinner time. 
    You mean ya'll had had a few :D
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ChristinaSunshine
    Options
    @Cookinbob would you share your beans RECIPE, by chance?  

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Cookinbob
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Cookinbob would you share your beans RECIPE, by chance?  

Sure.  It is an Emeril recipe.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2.html.  I followed it pretty much exactly.  I have home cured tasso and andouille that went into it.  Really a good recipe.

Note, you cook the beans in 6 cups of stock or water, not 10. The other 4 are for soaking. I used Chicken stock

Rochester, NY