Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post!!! How many of you leave your Egg out in the weather(rain and sun)

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The meanings for the names of the months July and August up there is: Bad Ice Fishing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • chrisc133
    Options
    I cover my table....but mostly to protect the table.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I leave mine outside but when I remember I have a cover I throw on it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My large and small are in my table which stays outside year around. However when not in use they are covered once cooled down. I believe in buying the best "whatever" that I can reasonably afford and then take care of it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I keep my egg covered and try to keep it stored under the eves of the house.  It's not total protection from a blowing rain, but enough that the cover doesn't get drenched with each rain shower - it also helps that I have very deep eves on my early 1960's built house.

My best,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Options
    "It's time for a sand and stain"  Had the same thought on my table, but I used the pressure washer and now it looks new....
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not worried about the ceramics. The metal is what I want to keep in good shape. I have big scheckels in my Egg, so it lives under a roof to keep dry.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    My sit outside. But I do cover them.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Mine gets rolled into the garage when not in use. My boxer has figured out a way to open the table drawer... Which doesn't have a handle, she has already ruined a whole bag of smoking chips 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    ........................... Just make sure your stones stay covered
    Good advice in several contexts..
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    Options
    I regret buying a decent wooden table at ACE when I got my Large.
    I am worried about rain/sun doing it in  so I won't grill the night before expected rain days   cause I will wanna goto bed before egg cools down  & I don't wanna leave the table exposed to rain.    I'd cook a lot more if I'd just consider the table depreciated  and just cook when I WANT to...
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    @swordsmn - Well, me coming back into the neighborhood, you'll have someone to compete cook against...  *BigGrin*

S.A.S.I.L.
  • swordsmn
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Deleted... thread drift
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Out but under cover for rain. Direct sun year round. 

I use it so often that a cover would just be a pain in the butt. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ...Maybe that's a little OCD... 
    Ya think? :) Welcome to the madhouse!

I've had my egg for about six years. Outside in whatever New England throws at it. Early on, I bought a cover, used it twice, decided it was way more trouble than it was worth and haven't used it since. Sometimes, I don't even close the dome... :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mine stay out in the sun and rain ( no snow here). Tried using a cover for a while, but then I had mold because of the humidity. So they have been free range BGE's since then. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Can't stand to see the egg face the weather so I just use it indoors now. I'm just that much closer to the kitchen:)
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    24/7/365 for the last 5 years. I bought a cover, put it on a couple times and then forgot about it. Highest highs in summer can reach 100*F, lowest lows in the winter can get to -10*F.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bout 17 or 18 years outside in Canadian winters and summers. I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    like i said, this is the only one ive seen this happen too and it was water and freezing cycles that caused it, non of my other eggs have gotten damaged like this

Yer still using it aren't you? stike said you were a hot rodder.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    I regret buying a decent wooden table at ACE when I got my Large.
    I am worried about rain/sun doing it in  so I won't grill the night before expected rain days   cause I will wanna goto bed before egg cools down  & I don't wanna leave the table exposed to rain.    I'd cook a lot more if I'd just consider the table depreciated  and just cook when I WANT to...
    It's like that shiny new truck you bought off the dealer....

Year 1...no drinking or eating in my truck.  Wipe your feet.  Don't lean against it either. 

Year 2...scratches and door dings still concern you, but you no longer stay up at night fretting about them. 

Year 3...driving thru the bush adds character (aka pin-striping). 

Year 4...we are now dumping full buckets of gravel into the bed...seeing how many yards it'll take...

Year 5...for whatever reason, dropping a wrench directly on the hood from a height of 3 feet doesn't leave a mark...go figure?
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    TrailRunner   Glad to see you made it here. Mine sit outside uncovered all the time now. 2 years ago I had one of the nice BGE table covers on my XL and it froze down during a pre Thanksgiving storm. Then in the summer I found mold inside the medium. No more covers on mine. If something goes wrong, I trust BGE will make it right.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Ten years total. First 2 in New England winters and last 8 in North Carolina. One year with a cover in New England. It's fine in the elements without a cover.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Large out in the weather year round.  It only get covered if there is hail in the forecast.  Been that way for the last ten years.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Small and a large, uncovered in the PNW and now in Texas.  Both are in great condition.  5+ years..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just throw one of those cheap Chinese knock off Rtic coolers over it. It should somewhat divert the rain and since nobody wants the coolers nobody will try to steal your egg. It's a win win.
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    TrailRunner   Glad to see you made it here. Mine sit outside uncovered all the time now. 2 years ago I had one of the nice BGE table covers on my XL and it froze down during a pre Thanksgiving storm. Then in the summer I found mold inside the medium. No more covers on mine. If something goes wrong, I trust BGE will make it right.
    There you are!!! Thanks for everything sir. 
  • TrailRunner
    Options
    Lit said:
    Just throw one of those cheap Chinese knock off Rtic coolers over it. It should somewhat divert the rain and since nobody wants the coolers nobody will try to steal your egg. It's a win win.
    Hahaha good one!!! 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    My BGE has been outside since the day I brought is home. I am guessing 13 to 14 years. No problem. Maybe it is so dry here in CO rust is not a problem.The dryness plays havick for the table. 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    My Egg in in a table that has wheels. It's rolled into my garage after it cools down. Of course, where I live, I don't have to worry about it having freeze damage.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca