Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fun hotdog topping ideas

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Botch said:

I resisted the classic Chicago hot dog for a couple trips, but once I tried one they became a favorite (usually from Portillos).  Onion, small peppers, tomato, nuclear-green relish, cucumber slice, celery salt and a dill pickle (I may be forgetting something).  Odd, but delicious.  
    That's a good looking sandwich!
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    edited November 2015
    Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT! ... Jon Stewart But we all know jon stewart's an @$$hole. I don't get all the ketchup hate.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    ... I don't get all the ketchup hate.

.... uhhh... because it is disgusting?????? 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru said:
    Here are some of my favorites. All toppings are in the order in which they are added.
    1) bun, dog, mustard, onion, chili, shredded cheddar
    2) bun, dog, mustard, onion, chili, creamy coleslaw (think KFC or CAF)
    3) bun, dog, mustard, onion, diced tomato
    and my favorite
    4) bun, dog, mustard, onion,shredded cheddar, chili,creamy coleslaw

Under NO circumstances should one EVER apply Ketchup to a hotdog. 
    Forgot one.
     5) bun, dog, mustard, onion, green tomato or zucchini relish

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    I don't put ketchup on hot dogs, but it's the only condiment for me on corn-dogs.
    I know.  Weird.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• onedbguru said:

You know what they say about opinions.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • onedbguru said:
    onedbguru said:
    Here are some of my favorites. All toppings are in the order in which they are added.
    and my favorite

Forgot one.

All of those would be better if you'd lose or saute the onion and add ketchup.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Hot dog topped with a complete SmashBurger, hold the hot dog.

Phoenix 
  • There's a place in Norcross, GA that specializes in hot dog toppings. Here's the Mac Dog and the 141 Dog (cheddar, bacon, onion rings and bbq sauce)

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    onedbguru said:

S'posedly, the original wieners and franks already had the same spices in them as what was in ketchup. Therefore, no reason, and it just adds too much sweetness. As a kid of 5, hotdogs w. ketchup were vastly superior to anything w. mustard.

But, ˙hmm, wonder what if the catsup were mixed w. some black strap molasses, and heated a bit more to make tomato flavor richer.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    There's a place in Norcross, GA that specializes in hot dog toppings. Here's the Mac Dog and the 141 Dog (cheddar, bacon, onion rings and bbq sauce)

I've lived right by this place for 5 years and never been in.  Guess I need to give it a shot.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • There's a place in Norcross, GA that specializes in hot dog toppings. Here's the Mac Dog and the 141 Dog (cheddar, bacon, onion rings and bbq sauce)

I've lived right by this place for 5 years and never been in.  Guess I need to give it a shot.
    The place is kind of skecthy, but I went based on a friends referral. Very interesting menu. Plus, the crispy tots were ridiculous! 
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    You've got to make a run to Birmingham and get some Birmingham hot dog sauce.  It's a regional thing that I can't really describe as anything other than delicious.  It good on dogs, burgers, and even a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.  Here's a couple of links describing it, and a place you can order and try it out.  The sauce is best served warm.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/07/a_love_letter_to_the_birmingha.html

http://www.sneakypeteshotdogs.com/store-2bottles.php

I thought everybody had hot dog sauce until I moved to ATL, and went to a hot dog place and they thought I was crazy when I asked to the sauce.
  • onedbguru
    edited November 2015
    Botch said:
    I don't put ketchup on hot dogs, but it's the only condiment for me on corn-dogs.
    I know.  Weird.  
    ... also disgusting... Mustard ONLY.  :)  ;);)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    that IS disgusting 
    Sometimes I'm about ketchup on a chili dog. I've made a couple copy cat chili sauces that were pretty good. I made the one I think @RRP posted a year or so ago. That was some kind of famous chili dog place on the east coast. I liked it the best. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    You know what cracks me up? When people get all high and mighty about putting ketchup on a hot dog. Seriously? Its not like you are eating a prime cut of meat. Its lips and a$$holes, Man. Who cares what you put on it? If people want ketchup, let them have ketchup and quit being so sanctimonius about it. Rant over. Off my soap box. Carry on.

And your hot dog party sounds like a great idea @BigGreenBamaGriller . Make sure to have some chili and cheese. That's how I like my dogs.
    some of those newer spicey ketchups are pretty good with dogs =)
    Unless you're a child with underdeveloped tastebuds, ketchup should only go on french fries or used in cocktail sauce. Not a rant, just the facts.
  • onedbguru said:
    Botch said:
    I know.  Weird.  
    ... also disgusting... Mustard ONLY.  :)  ;);)
    Hot dogs are disgusting on general principle. Adding catsup, or ketchup doesn't distract from that. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    There's a place in Norcross, GA that specializes in hot dog toppings. Here's the Mac Dog and the 141 Dog (cheddar, bacon, onion rings and bbq sauce)

The place is kind of skecthy, but I went based on a friends referral. Very interesting menu. Plus, the crispy tots were ridiculous! 
    You had me at "Tots" - my weakness. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    texaswig said:
    Sometimes I'm about ketchup on a chili dog. I've made a couple copy cat chili sauces that were pretty good. I made the one I think @RRP posted a year or so ago. That was some kind of famous chili dog place on the east coast. I liked it the best. 
    No that sauce was a knock off of what is served at the Varsity in Atlanta. The recipe was de-engineered by Chuck Lane way back in 2002. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT! ... Jon Stewart But we all know jon stewart's an @$$hole. I don't get all the ketchup hate.
    Why don't you just dip your hotdog in corn syrup?
    NOLA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I put chili with beans and ketchup all over it so good. 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Griffin said:
    You know what cracks me up? When people get all high and mighty about putting ketchup on a hot dog. Seriously? Its not like you are eating a prime cut of meat. Its lips and a$$holes, Man. Who cares what you put on it? If people want ketchup, let them have ketchup and quit being so sanctimonius about it. Rant over. Off my soap box. Carry on.

And your hot dog party sounds like a great idea @BigGreenBamaGriller . Make sure to have some chili and cheese. That's how I like my dogs.
    Unless you're a child with underdeveloped tastebuds, ketchup should only go on french fries or used in cocktail sauce. Not a rant, just the facts.
    I guess I have underdeveloped taste buds :) mustard, ketchup and some relish!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru said:
    onedbguru said:
    and my favorite

Forgot one.

All of this talk of hot dogs made me hungry for one, so from the list I had a #1 for dinner. Very tasty.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Bacon wrapped hotdogs were popular when we were in Norway…
    Bacon Wrapped KOSHER for me!    Natural enemies, friends at last.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    A little Peg Bundy on my wiener and I'm a happy camper. Night y'all. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Griffin said:

Unless you can quantifiably measure it, that's just an opinion....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

in order - mustard / chili / slaw / on a lightly buttered toasted bun...I like mine with no bark (no onions)

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    These were among the best I've ever had... Pearl 1/4 pound all beef franks with leftover pulled pork, Gulden's spicy brown mustard, onion and La Bomba hot antipasto spread. On oversize split top buns, buttered and grilled.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut