Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preventing Mold

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have my BGE on my patio. We have experienced a rather long duration of cool / damp weather. I didn't use my BGE for a couple of weeks. Went to use it and when I opened it up there was a tremendous amount of mold growing on the cooking grate and charcoal.[p]Covering it would seem to promote the situation. I don't want to be taking the charcoal out after each use and putting it somewhere.[p]Is this common? What am I doing wrong?[p]Help would be appreciated from any of you seasoned EGGSPERTS.[p]Regards,[p]jkpalmer

Comments

• JKPALMER,
    best way to prevent mold is use your egg every day :-)[p]but, if you can't, its not a big deal, happens to many of us, particularly at this time of year. ..just light up your egg, and let it run up to high temps for a few minutes... the mold will be gone and you can cook. .. .

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    JKPALMER,
    Like Max said, it's no big deal. I've found that if I let the temp go up about 50° higher then where ever I was cooking at it keeps the mold, so far at least, from happening. The added heat helps burn off any residual moisture left in the Egg after cooking.[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    JKPALMER,
    Well, I live in houston so between humidity and everything else I do get mold after about 1 week of non use.[p]As mentioned by others I tend to get most on the grill and simply grill brush it off. I also formerly cooked mostly Trex steaks so I got the egg up to lave temps for my sear and the mold burned away. I would not worry too much about it, and you could always make a small ball of aluminum foil and scrape clean the interior like I read many do. Other than cleaning the grill and cleaning ash I've not done much else as far as cleaning.[p]

• Chrispy Bob
    Chrispy Bob Posts: 93
    JKPALMER, I have the same problem down here in FL. I keep a 40 watt light bulb burning in my egg when not cooking....no mold!![p]CB

• sam
    sam Posts: 21
    JKPALMER,[p]Had this happen to me. However i moved my egg to where it gets direct sunlight, which the egg is always warm to the touch. Since then I've never had it happen again.