Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tell me what y'all think

i have recently bought a mini max I love it this is my first egg and I love smoking and grilling all day cooks and low and slow I'm thinking about adding a large egg to my collection what's yalls thoughts on this pros and cons thanks 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    No cons. All pros.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I bought a mini, now waiting for my large two come in less than two weeks.

inwould say since you already have the minimax, the large wouldn't be a huge step up as far as grate size, if you can, just go for an XL 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Jwork328 said:
    I'm thinking about adding a large egg to my collection what's yalls thoughts on this 
    The Thunder Gods will smile down upon you for this. You will be forever be in their grace.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I have both a MM and a Large. For us it's the perfect combo. We are a family of four who love to entertain and have lots of family close by. The MM is the daily driver during the week, I use it about 4 nights a week for everything; high heat burgers and steaks and low temp indirects as well. The large is the weekend workhorse for anything from pizzas for 4 to BBQ/ribs for 40+. It's also the holiday cooker for everything from leg of lamb, turkey, crown roasts etc. Do it and don't look back. Feel free to PM me if you have very specific questions.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Jwork328 said:
    i have recently bought a mini max I love it this is my first egg and I love smoking and grilling all day cooks and low and slow I'm thinking about adding a large egg to my collection what's yalls thoughts on this pros and cons thanks 
    I have this combo too.  The MM is for traveling and smaller cooks, while the Large is for everything else (full packer briskets, turkeys, etc.). And on occasion you can use both at once.  Go for it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I have two larges, and I say get it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I'm with Kevin and JIC. Have the same combo and very happy. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Go XL. 

Cut a piece of cardboard In a 18" circle for reference.  I loved my XL no worries about something fitting very quick to come to temp and great on charcoal. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2015
    Perfect combo for us. The LBGE & MM. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • This is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if it's ok to have a drink...
    Yes!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Go for it, you will be glad you did
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989

MM and an XL here. This combination flat out rocks. I have them both going on Pizza nights, and the Mini is the right size for apps and sides, when entertaining, while doing major cooking on the XL.  We also use the mini for our full cooks when My Beautiful Wife (MBW) and I are alone for the evening.

I love the mini, because we can travel with it, great to have at tailgates and when camping. The XL is a cooking, smoking, versatile beast!

I am going to get a third, why? because I am crazy, that is why. I am going to  get and use the medium to bake with. it will have no meat cooked in it. that was a great idea I had learned from one of the fellow eggers that posts here.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I have a large and need a mini max. I think it would be a great combo.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • I have an XL and want the MM really bad, so to answer the question....Rock on with your bad self!!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Go for it
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Have a large and my buddies that have a MM convinced me to buy one.....so glad I did.  I've had mine about 3 weeks and am using the crap out of it. Have made pizza, wings, 5# top sirloin roast, stir fry and last night a 5# boneless leg of lamb. All fantastic. Get one!
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • Jwork328 said:
    I had LBGE and added MM few weeks back- perfect combo. 
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • I wish I wouldn't have read this. I've been thinking about a MM and now thanks to everyone in this thread I have to have one. Thanks lol I can't wait to get it 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Go get the large, bring it home, fire it up and then get yourself a drink. Or not in that order. Get a drink, go get the large, have another drink, fire it up and have another. Maybe you should stop by the liquor store while your out getting your large.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Griffin said:
    Go get the large, bring it home, fire it up and then get yourself a drink. Or not in that order. Get a drink, go get the large, have another drink, fire it up and have another. Maybe you should stop by the liquor store while your out getting your large.
    It is Friday all you Bourbonistas!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    This is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if it's ok to have a drink...
    Yes, I believe I will.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2015
    I wish I wouldn't have read this. I've been thinking about a MM and now thanks to everyone in this thread I have to have one. Thanks lol I can't wait to get it 
    If you're going to hang out here, you better have 1) STRONG will power or 2) a willingness to part with some coin. 

These se folks spend my money faster than my wife!  Hell I bought two coolers yesterday that I really don't need just because they're in sale and would be good for the Carolina egg gathering next year that May or may not happen and I may or may not attend. 
  • Do it.....you won't regret the purchase
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I have a large and am adding another large to my deck this weekend.  Go for it!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    This is like asking a bunch of alcoholics if it's ok to have a drink...

It's never ok to have A drink. Must have 3 or more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    You could always go MM + XL  - Love my XL and considering a MM
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Large or XL. You can get by with the MM until you are sure or can hit an eggfest. The mini was my first egg for over a year, it sold me on the large and MM so no need to hurry.
    Seattle, WA