Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a brisket tale and kudos to DIZZY PIG

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first off, thanks all for nice notes about our chespeake results. .. spawn and i had a great time cooking down there. ..the organizers did a fantastic job for this first time competition. ..it was a great venue, and lots of great people working hard to insure a good time. ..we'll definitely be back next year . ...now the story of our first place brisket, which is just a little more special than usual. . .[p]i went down to union meats at eastern market last tuesday afternoon to pick out a brisket for the competition. ..this is where brett and i always go to buy our competition beef. .. our usual butcher, "Roy", was working the counter, and when i told him i needed one for the competition, he went in the back and pulled me this monster hunk-o-cow that weighed in at a hefty 16.67 pounds. . . .its certainly the largest brisket i've ever seen. . .so roy and i are yapping for a few minutes when he gets a phone call .. he comes back with a glazed look in his eyes and says "that was my mom ..my grandpa just died". .. we talked for a couple of minutes and he was really upset, cause he was planning on paying the man a visit that night, but now he was gone. . .after giving him my condolenses, and as we parted he said, "go win something with this brisket" and i responded "we'll dedicate this brisket to grandpa". .. and as i was taking our brisket box up to the judging tent on saturday, i told spawn "remember, this one is for roy's grandpa". .. .so i have no doubt that grandpa was up there helping us out just a little . ..this thursday, i have to go downtown for a meeting and i plan on taking our trophy down there and letting roy display on their counter for a few weeks. . ..it was pretty special. . .[p]now, for the other special part of winning that brisket trophy, big kudos to my dizzy pig pals, cause a majore part of the treatment of that brisket (hey, i can't give up all of our secrets, heee), was dizzy cow lick rub .. .that stuff is some kinda good on a brisket, and competition or no competition, i wouldn't be cooking a brisket without it. .. .so if you haven't already, next time you cook a brisket on your egg, you gotta go with the cow lick. . . THANKS NATURE DUDE!!!!

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    One hell of a story, sorry to hear about Roy's grandpa.
    Now, a big congratulations to you and spawn on your win. Way to go Big Guy.
    Cheers,
    Bordello

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    mad max beyond eggdome, very cool Max. Congrats, Scott

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That is a great story. I makes winning just that much sweeter. [p]It's hard to think of folks who are more deserving that you, Spawn and of course Roy's grandfather.[p]Now, we have to talk some brisket (off the record of course)![p]Smokey
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Great story, Max! And some fine results for yall. Big congrats to you and Spawn!![p]I still don't know how Mike came up with that Cow Lick recipe, but he did an awful nice job![p]Again, a hearty congrats to yall!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Very nice, heartwarming story, Max. Congrats. on that great placing!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    congrats to you and the spawn. No suprise here.
    Keep it up and continue having a blast along the way.
    ST

• Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    mad max beyond eggdome, Congrats!!!!!!Do you realize how lucky you are to have such a great daughter like Spawn? It is so refreshing to see you two together. I loved cooking next to you two at Waldorf. You guys are a HOOT!!

• Saucy Sue,[p]thanks!! we really enjoy bbq weekends together (either fests or competitions) cause its about the only time we can go 24 hours without some sort of major battle). ...[p]this weekend's priceless verbal exchange was at the cook's breakfast on saturday morning, when some metalhead was talking about stoking his fire in the middle of the night and i yelled across the room to sydney, "hey sydney, how many times did we have to add fuel to our eggs last night?" and she replied across the room "why (with appropriate pause for effect). ..NONE!!" . ..everyone had a good laugh over that. . . .
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    mad max beyond eggdome, I love it when Dad blushes over his daughter's accomplishments, like a first in brisket. Great job Spawn, certainly dad realizes it's all you, babe. :<) Tom

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I am very proud of both of y'all...and those other guys as well even they didn't come out with y'all.[p]I feel very good things are in your future. So far we have 2 EGG teams that will be in KC and possibly the Jack. You guys are getting closer and closer.

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    Bobby-Q,[p]Dude - you're scaring me with talk like that....
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    mad max beyond eggdome, great going. Now the real question is how did Spawn rate that brisket? I understand she's a pretty tough judge. But I guess if you can get one to pass her tests, you have a winner!
  • Wise One,
    she was pretty anxious about it...we knew it was good when we were slicing the flat. ..she got nervous about the point and what i was doing to it, and then she was concerned about putting any sauce on at all. ..so we jointly made some compromises about how much sauce to put on both the flat slices, and the hunks of point...and she led the way on the box, with some input from me. . .so we actually worked through it all very well together. ..once i get the pictures from my sister in law, i'll post one of the box. . ..

• YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Congrats Max and Spawn !!
  • YankeeBBQ,
    thanks steve!!. .and congrats to you on your almost clean-sweep!!. . .it was tough enough competing with big john from pigs-on-the-run. ..sure glad i wasn't up there with you this weekend!!. . .

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    mad max beyond eggdome, well one thing for sure. You may not have a winning brisket at every competition but you'll always have a winning daughter at every competition.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for that story, max. Grandparents are gold. I just got back from Ohio where we celebrated our Grandma's 98th birthday.... love them and let them know you love them while you have them.[p]A big slap on the back for your first place win for Grandpa![p]john