Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Depot has a BGE Acc for $15

Options
Holiday time is one of my favorite times at the HD store.  They always seems to have some of the coolest low priced gadgets that I just can't seem to live without.  Browsing through there yesterday I ran across this 2 gallon Wet/Dry shop vac for $14.99 that is perfect for my BGE kitchen to clean out the ash.  I just thought I would pass it along.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    That's the same one I've got and it works great.  My only very, VERY minor issue is that the vaccum hose is a little on the short side, so if vaccuming out from the top of the egg, one must set the vaccum on the table - or hold it with one hand.

works really well though.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow that is a deal.  You can also switch it from suck to blow and use it to accelerate the fire.   It is $30 online.  I will have to swing by my local HD to see if they have it on sale.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Have to check it out, thanks
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  - That's for the fancy 2.5 gal.  It looks like the 2 gal went up to $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD2020/205404631

Los Angeles, CA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The 2 gallon model is $14.98 at our local Home Depot. Just ordered it and will pick it up at the store this afternoon.  Thanks
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    $15 is a great price for that.  I think I paid 30.
    NOLA
  • Shiff
    Options
    Wow that is a deal.  You can also switch it from suck to blow and use it to accelerate the fire.   It is $30 online.  I will have to swing by my local HD to see if they have it on sale.  
    You can check local store stock online and then order and pay for it and go pick it up at your leisure at the store.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Ditto on the short hose....  But I enjoy this little vac!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CeeGeeW
    Options
    Everytime I read anything on this site I spend $$$.  So I put in the order to pick one up today.  I got a call from them apologizing they no longer have it in stock.  They offered this one instead (for the same price).  Not to hijack the thread, but was curious if you guys had any experience with this model or brand.   Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-WD0670/205144661

Los Angeles, CA
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Picked up one a few days ago as well on an impulse buy. Used it once already and it works better than my larger shop vac. A lot more portable but still enough power for all the ash.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Shiff
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:
    Everytime I read anything on this site I spend $$$.  So I put in the order to pick one up today.  I got a call from them apologizing they no longer have it in stock.  They offered this one instead (for the same price).  Not to hijack the thread, but was curious if you guys had any experience with this model or brand.   Thanks!

That was pretty nice of them at your Home Depot. It looks like it would be fine. Didn't see how long the hose is but that might be worth checking.  It would obviously be much bigger that the 2 gallon one.  I like the one we have been discussing because it fits nicely in my table where the 6 gallon one wouldn't.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2015
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:

Rigid makes a great vacuum - I've have a 10 gal one that looks like the one in the picture but larger and with more heads plus an apron that holds the heads. It rates right up there with units being able to suck chrome off a bumper! Back when I bought mine it was the top rated by WOOD magazine even beating out the German made FEIN at 3 times what I paid for my Rigid.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CeeGeeW
    Options
    Thanks for the info -- I'm picking up shortly.  Also thanks Sonny for the good deal!
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Still $30 at my Home Depot today
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

I had one  & it died on me   wah  wahhhhhhhhhhh

(Dougie Downer  but that was my luck)

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW - just to set the record straight my big-*ss Rigid that I described above is actually 14 gallon not 10. For the added money it had superior suction, numerous features and attachments. I'm clueless if these great features are commonplace now with Rigid products, but back a few years ago they were way ahead of the others on the market! Mine is a brute and I expect it to last my lifetime.

BTW just in the last year I pitched a Craftsman wet/dry plus a no name brand one. They may say wet, but unless you let them dry out they get ruined easily. Also the better vacs use good pleated paper filters which also must be kept cleaned. That fine ash dust from your BGE will kill a cheap vac unless you maintain it. And the better vacs even have fine mess cloth covers over those expensive pleated filters. 

I'm not being a kill joy but like anything else you get what you pay for and the cheaper it is the quicker you will kick it to the curb.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I had to pick up some sand paper to sand down my Boos butcher block. While grabbing some sandpaper and butcher block oil I checked out that vacuum that was mentioned above. I was on the fence until I remembered how much of a pain in the arse the small can be to clean out ash through the front vent. Picking up another Kick Ash Basket for my small this weekend. With the Kick Ash Basket and designated ash vacuum I should be in good shape. If the vacuum craps out I'm only out $20 and my real shop vac will stay ash free! This vacuum should be fine if you don't neglect it. Just like any shop vac, it will need to be cleaned out and blown out frequently 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    This vacuum should be fine if you don't neglect it. Just like any shop vac, it will need to be cleaned out and blown out frequently 
    Thanks for repeating what I was saying! These cheap units are fine just like disposable BIC lighters were way back when I was a smoker. Just either plan to give your cheap vac a little TLC or kick their sorry butts to the curb sooner than what you want to admit! EOM!!! LOL!!!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho? said:
    This vacuum should be fine if you don't neglect it. Just like any shop vac, it will need to be cleaned out and blown out frequently 
    Thanks for repeating what I was saying! These cheap units are fine just like disposable BIC lighters were way back when I was a smoker. Just either plan to give your cheap vac a little TLC or kick their sorry butts to the curb sooner than what you want to admit! EOM!!! LOL!!!
    Yep. That's why I never used my shop vac. I didn't want to plug it up and have to clean it before every little project. For $20 and quick blow out with compressed air is worth a gamble. The KAB should help with the ash 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shiff
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    @Tspud1You should be able to order it online and have it delivered to your local Home Depot.  When you are online you can check your local store inventory and they will probably let you buy it online for store pickup at the sale price.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Tspud1 said:
    @Tspud1You should be able to order it online and have it delivered to your local Home Depot.  When you are online you can check your local store inventory and they will probably let you buy it online for store pickup at the sale price.
    $30 at my Home Depot but showed the cashier that it was listed for $20 on their website. Quick easy change for the cashier. 

Minnesota
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

Not sure if you are serious about using it to blow, but if you are be careful - when blowing, ash will blow out with the air.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    FWIW, I used the new vac last night in preparation for tonites cook.  Cleaned both the XL and Med.  It worked great for me.  Cleaned the firebox well and no ash appeared to be blowing out the exhaust side.  This will be the only thing it is used for and will never be used as a wet vac so it should hold up for quite a while.  I was using the larger shop vac from the garage, but now this small one will reside in the deck box on the back porch and always be handy.

I hope the others that buy this are as happy as I am with it.

I am not sure I will use the blow function for building fires, it puts out a ton of air.  Probably too much for that application.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Shiff
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    $30 at my Home Depot but showed the cashier that it was listed for $20 on their website. Quick easy change for the cashier. 
    It was $14.98 on our web site and the same at the store.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Have been using a bucket head for years but that looks more compact. May have to check it out.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Shiff said:
    WeberWho? said:
    It was $14.98 on our web site and the same at the store.
    I clicked the link above and it came up $19.99 on the website. That's two free beers I could be drinking tonight!!! :o=)

Minnesota
  • Shiff
    Options
    Very strange. When I click the link it shows $14.98 and that was what I paid a couple of days ago.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Very strange. When I click the link it shows $14.98 and that was what I paid a couple of days ago.
    My bad @Shiff. I just noticed the link above was for the 2.5 gallon for $19.88 My Home Depot only had the 2.5 gallon. I'd rather have saved the $5 over the extra .5 gallon if it were available 

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Thanks again to @Sonny3 for the head's-up.  Got mine in-store today for $19. One bonus:  my similarly-sized ShopVac that I had been using (lives downstairs in the woodshop, always had to go down and get it) has a plug on the end of a damn 4" cord, always had to hunt up an extension cord also; this Stinger has a nice 10' cord already attached.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.