Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: SRF - Double R Ranch

Options
byrne092
byrne092 Posts: 746
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
I am sure it has come up before, but didn't really find much talk about it. If you have bought beef from SRFs before: Kobe, RR, or both, what's your take on their RR ranch quality. I am sure it is good, but it seems a little steep for Choice+. I am trying to take drop some cash on the new sale, but not sure what to buy :pensive: . Waiting to see if they come out with some different cuts throughout the month like they usually do too.
XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have cooked 3 of the "competition" briskets which are RR Ranch choice plus and they are better than any prime briskets I can find or have ever seen locally. (Granted I live in South Mississippi not exactly beef country)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • byrne092
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy thanks for the info, it's actually pretty hard to find good cuts around here as well, even being in the Midwest. Once I get some more brisket cooks under my belt I will probably splurge on one. The have RR and Kobe rib roasts... I'm thinkin the Kobe might be worth the extra money, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2. The eye of ribeye is lookin real tempting too..

St. Louis, MO
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    It's very high quality beef. All the cows get the same star treatment, some just don't have enough fat in the right rib to grade out as Prime. Still GREAT beef. I think it's worth it for special occasions. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    I am sure it has come up before, but didn't really find much talk about it. If you have bought beef from SRFs before: Kobe, RR, or both, what's your take on their RR ranch quality. I am sure it is good, but it seems a little steep for Choice+. I am trying to take drop some cash on the new sale, but not sure what to buy :pensive: . Waiting to see if they come out with some different cuts throughout the month like they usually do too.
    Hey there - Shane here, I'm the guy that runs snakeriverfarms.com.  No, we won't be having any other cuts come out, actually pretty much all of our hams and roasts are on sale right now and there wont' be a better deal offered for the rest of the holiday season.  

In terms of quality...I'm a big fan of DRR.  The first key reason is the consistency - we oversee all components of the lifecyle of our animals, which means we can control everything from genetics to diet to overall keeping them unstressed from end-to-end.  This produces better beef. Secondly, the beef is wet-aged 21-28 days before it's flash-frozen, which is the optimal amount of time for aging.  

You'll be happy either way you go.  I prefer SRF, my wife actually prefers DRR.  DRR will give you a mouth-feel (culinary term) that is just like the beef you're used to..it will just be a better product.  SRF can be a bit too fatty for some tastes (but not mine).  

One other comment - these aren't the same animals that grade out differently, they're entirely different genetic lines.  The SRF line comes from pure Kobe genetics and is cross-bred here in the states to produce "American Kobe" or simply wagyu.  

Hope this helps!  
  • byrne092
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation @SRFShane! It's nice to hear from a company that takes pride in providing a quality product, the customer feedback is a big testament to that as well. Thanks for the info on the sale too, I think I'm gonna go with one of the rib roasts and either the eye of ribeye or strip loin. This will be my first time ordering and I look forward to seeing what the hype is about! Thanks again. 

St. Louis, MO
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I had the cowboy ribeye this summer from RR, it was good. Next time ill go for some SRF though!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have cooked the RR ranch whole tenderloin and it was the best tenderloin I have ever had.  They had a really good sale earlier this year and it was $79 and I think it was over 6 lbs.  I don't expect to ever see a deal that good again.  It was less than I would pay at Publix for tenderloin. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SRFShane
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Thank you for the explanation @SRFShane! It's nice to hear from a company that takes pride in providing a quality product, the customer feedback is a big testament to that as well. Thanks for the info on the sale too, I think I'm gonna go with one of the rib roasts and either the eye of ribeye or strip loin. This will be my first time ordering and I look forward to seeing what the hype is about! Thanks again. 

You bet!  Yeah, we're a family-owned company based here in Boise, ID, and the #1 thing for us to to put out a great product.  You'll love it - and if you have any issues you can reach out to me directly.  I'm working on my holiday menu(s) as well, and I'll likely end up doing a 1/2 bone-in ham with the turkey for Thanksgiving, a DRR standing rib roast for Christmas eve and a SRF Striploin or ribeye to cut into steaks to be used for Christmas day.  
    I have cooked the RR ranch whole tenderloin and it was the best tenderloin I have ever had.  They had a really good sale earlier this year and it was $79 and I think it was over 6 lbs.  I don't expect to ever see a deal that good again.  It was less than I would pay at Publix for tenderloin. 

Yeah, that was a great sale.  Honestly, we had over-produced for Easter and had to get rid of a bunch of roasts in the April/May timeframe (when nobody wants to eat a roast).  So, we had to give them away below cost.  I love giving good deals, but I hope to never have to have a sale like that again!  

• clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Options
    Shane

Are we going to see Short Rib Plates any time soon ?
  • SRFShane
    Options
    clweed said:
    Shane

Are we going to see Short Rib Plates any time soon ?
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/ribs/american-kobe-short-ribs.html 

We're testing that product now, this is our first run at selling them via this direct channel (typically only available in commercial channels).  They're huge and fantastic tasting, though spendy.  If they're popular, we'll likely roll our both a DRR version that's less expensive as well as a SRF version that breaks them up into a single pack so you can buy those in smaller quantity and at a lower price.  
  • SRFShane
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not sure why the link isn't working...but on our site, under American Kobe - Ribs - you'll find the short rib plate.  Here's a pic Moe Caeson took of when he cooked them recently 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    Not sure why the link isn't working...but on our site, under American Kobe - Ribs - you'll find the short rib plate.  Here's a pic Moe Caeson took of when he cooked them recently 

You got an extra space in your hyperlink.  Try this http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/ribs/american-kobe-short-ribs.html

And let me add that I have been very pleased with my orders from SRF.  It's great to have a business owner/rep with such a quality product participating on here!
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Having SRF folks on this site makes me feel like I'm in the presence of royalty! 
  • clweed
    Options
    The Kobe might be a little rich for me, but I would love to try the DRR version.

Thanks,
    Lee
  • clweed
    edited November 2015
    Options

DAMN !!!!!

Shane,

Are all the Kobe Beef Ribs that size?
  • SRFShane
    Options
    clweed said:

DAMN !!!!!

Shane,

Are all the Kobe Beef Ribs that size?
    Hehehe....pretty much.  Here's some I did when testing:  

• SRFShane
    Options
    Having SRF folks on this site makes me feel like I'm in the presence of royalty! 
    Not at all.  You guys are my customers, of course I'm going to be here!  I try to only chime in though when there is a specific question on our products....I don't want to be the annoying vendor who is always referencing his products.  If you all ever have any questions for me, feel free to IM me or post a thread with our name in it and I'll be notified and come answer your question.  

Insider tip of the day: if you're interested in a SRF brisket at a discount, you might want to sign up for our emails and watch your inbox mid next week.  
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'm already on the email list. Can't wait!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @SRFShane - I was hoping for the random and infrequent brisket sale.  That's about the best news I have had today-granted my days are pretty pedestrian and it's Thursday ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    Not at all.  You guys are my customers, of course I'm going to be here!  I try to only chime in though when there is a specific question on our products....I don't want to be the annoying vendor who is always referencing his products.  If you all ever have any questions for me, feel free to IM me or post a thread with our name in it and I'll be notified and come answer your question.  

Insider tip of the day: if you're interested in a SRF brisket at a discount, you might want to sign up for our emails and watch your inbox mid next week.  
    Take my money!!!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I feel my wallet heating up already! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SRFShane said:
      I try to only chime in though when there is a specific question on our products....I don't want to be the annoying vendor who is always referencing his products.  
    Brother I have had the pleasure of eating quite a bit of yalls meat. It's better than anything that I have ever had. With that said, feel free to chime in any time my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Shane- glad to see you on.  Enjoy seeing your comments.  Show us some more pics of your test runs :)

what do you normally cook on? 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SRFShane
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Wolfpack said:
    what do you normally cook on? 
    It's funny, as part of my job I have to have knowledge of and cook on a little bit of everything.  Here at our office we keep a collection of cooking devices for people to take home and try:  Anova sous vide, cast iron, gasser, Traeger, BGE, Weber Kettle and even a custom SRF drum smoker.  At any given time, some collection of those devices are on my back patio.  

SGH said:
    SRFShane said:
      I try to only chime in though when there is a specific question on our products....I don't want to be the annoying vendor who is always referencing his products.  
    Brother I have had the pleasure of eating quite a bit of yalls meat. It's better than anything that I have ever had. With that said, feel free to chime in any time my friend. 
    Much appreciated and will do!  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brisket special next week? The stars are lining up folks. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky