Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
They had this question on the radio this morning and people's answer's were all over the place?  

They even had callers call in and say pizza can be a sandwich if it's folded in half and has crust on the outside it's a sandwich.

One guy said that if pizza is a sandwich his cereal must be considered soup!

So if a hotdog isn't a sandwich what is it? 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

Bread, meat and condiments..... it's a hot dog!

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such as vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for some other food. The sandwich was originally a portable food item or finger food which began to be popular in the Western World. Today sandwiches in various versions are found worldwide.

KayNOcook said NO not a sandwich! I'm ok with yep it's a sandwich. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such as vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for some other food. The sandwich was originally a portable food item or finger food which began to be popular in the Western World. Today sandwiches in various versions are found worldwide.

so would this qualify as a sandwich

100_1119jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    blasting said:

That depends if it identifies as a sandwich. 

#Sandwichlivesmatter
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to come up with a reason why anyone in the world would care what it's called.  Is there a sandwich lobby out there?  The only thing that stops a bad guy with a salad is a good guy with a sandwich?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think so.  Sandwich is a general term and a hot dog is more specific.  It is a type of sandwich.  A hamburger is also a type of sandwich. 

...but I agree, for some reason it sounds odd.  I have eaten many hot dogs on sliced bread when I didn't have hot dog buns. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options

so would this qualify as a sandwich

100_1119jpg

Yes...a beautiful looking open faced sammich.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm trying to come up with a reason why anyone in the world would care what it's called.  Is there a sandwich lobby out there?  The only thing that stops a bad guy with a salad is a good guy with a sandwich?
    Not so much a lobby as it was asked by a reporter to NHL players and their thoughts. Since hipsters stole all the cool out of bacon this reporter was pushing hotdogs! Why the love of hotdogs? Not sure
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited November 2015
    Options
    because Tuesday was National Sammich Day...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    a hot dog is not a sandwich. Even a hotdog done like a chicago dog with let tom and peppers is still not a sandwich. For me it is the hot dog bun, somehow that makes it not a sandwich. Now if you split two dogs and then piled on toppings, that is somehow a sandwich. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Is a lobster roll a sandwich?  Or should we start calling them lobster dogs?

• fishlessman
    Options

thats not a split top and its buttered and fried on the wrong side =) not sure what to call that ;)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would say the "hot dog" (complete with bun) is in the subcategory of sandwiches where a bun is used and the default orientation of the whole mess is rotated 90 degrees and the opening is vertical rather than horizontal.

On second thought, who cares. ;)
    Options
    Amen, plus it has little green sprinkles. That did not come from Maine and if it did the person who made it is from away.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A hot dog is a hot dog

A hamburger is a hamburger

A BBQ sandwich is a sandwich
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jstroke
    Options
    ^^^^^^^. You don't refer to a burger as a sandwich not a hotdog. They both stand alone. 
  • jonnymack
    Options
    I only eat Manwiches so I wouldnt' know.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A hot dog is a hot dog

A hamburger is a hamburger

A BBQ sandwich is a BBQ.
    FIFY

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    edited November 2015
    Options

I don't care what you call that, it made me hungry!!!
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I'm cheering for mustard!  Ketchup on a dog is just plain wrong!

Flint, Michigan
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    A hotdog is the "meat" that goes in a bun.  Calling a hotdog a sandwich is like calling a slice of ham a sandwich.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • fishlessman
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    A hotdog is the "meat" that goes in a bun.  Calling a hotdog a sandwich is like calling a slice of ham a sandwich.
    i make all meat sandwiches all the time =) sometimes all meat and cheese rollups
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

A hot dog (also spelled hotdog) is a cooked sausage, traditionally grilled or steamed and served in a sliced bun as a sandwich.[2][3][4][5] There are also Hot dog variants that include the corn dog and pigs in blankets. Typical hot dog garnishes include mustard, ketchup, onions, mayonnaise, relish, cheese, chili, and sauerkraut.

The sausages were culturally imported from Germany and popularized in the United States, where they were a working class street food sold at hot dog stands that came to be associated with baseball and America. Hot dog preparation and condiment styles also vary regionally across the United States. The hot dog's cultural traditions include the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest and Wienermobile.

Options
    I like mayonnaise on my hotdog or sandwich... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    From Dictionary. com

sandwich consisting of a frankfurter in a split roll, usually eaten with mustard, sauerkraut, or relish.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its a pie if you use pie crust =)

fukahwee maine

• Jstroke
    Options
    You don't call it a hotdog sandwich or a hamburger sandwich. On the menu you will not see hotdogs listed amongst the sandwich section .