Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proof your yeast for pizza

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a new eggsperience last night. My wife brought home a new brand of yeast, I have always used Fleshmans (sp?) in the yellow 2 pack. I always follow the recipes to "proof" the yeast and the old yeast always foamed right up like it should. It normally doubles in height in 15 min. This load foamed but didn't double in size. I used it anyway - shouldn't have![p]The dough never rised like it should and the results were two 10" pies that would be called "thin and crispy" at Pizza Hut. It was good but the crust was certainly different than my others in the past. [p]Tim

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]It sounds like the yeast was viable, just a bit shy in the amount used. I normally have to double the amount when replacing Flieschmann's active dry yeast with another brand. A longer rise time would have also worked, but it would have been considerably longer.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,[p]That's a good idea about doubling the amount of yeast next time, I just need to go back to Flieschmann's again. I did extend the rise time otherwise I would really have had a thin crust. It was rising but very slowly, like you said.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I definitely agree with the practice of proofing the yeast, either in water or a sponge. I didn't proof only one time and the yeast failed to work (Murphy's principle). Instead of just new yeast, I had to chuck the whole deal and start over from scatch.[p]Spin