Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Antarctica gained more ice than lost

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm curious what wiped out the dino's.  @nolaegghead ?
    Adam and Eve rode them to work one too many times, and they all died, obviously.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've heard it stated that even if I live my entire lifetime totally obsessed with carbon footprints - this doesn't equal one single minute of one single factory in India.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    And there I was thinking Noah had herpetophobia....

Options
    Adam and Eve rode them to work one too many times, and they all died, obviously.

Whew!  I thought it had something to do with Fred Flintstone.  Very relieved, he's a good contributor.

Phoenix 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    It's so important to keep up with the manufacturer's recommended maintenance.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    Options
    blasting said:

Whew!  I thought it had something to do with Fred Flintstone.  Very relieved, he's a good contributor.

Are you suggesting he ate them all?
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There hasn't been one shred of proof other than computer models that man made global warming is occurring.  

Science doesn't deal with proof, but rather data.  As to what the data says regarding  measurements of mean global temperature.... yeah.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Like my deep belief in Heaven, I don't need to have someone prove that Climate Change exists. I believe it does, and therefore nothing you can say can prove me wrong

this stuff is easy when you dismiss logic and science for 'belief'. I don't have to even argue. I just know I'm right, because they are my 'beliefs'.  And people can't question my beliefs, because that's just not right, right?

so much easier this way. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I'm actually looking forward to Climate change legislation. Higher utility bills and higher unemployment all of which the current admin will get a pass on like nothing happened.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dave,  I found a video that reminded me of you about someone arguing against the "atheist theory of evolution".  If it's not you, sorry. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIi0S0a1ubo

Davec433 said:
    I'm actually looking forward to Climate change legislation. Higher utility bills and higher unemployment all of which the current admin will get a pass on like nothing happened.
    I liked where they asked Christie about climate change policies at one of the GOP debates, and he said that we don't need to follow all of these crazy liberal ideas to deal with it.  Instead we can develop jobs in the renewable energy sector, and foster the development of solar power technologies to keep bringing the costs of renewable energy below those of fossil fuels.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Because....all the tech that's being created to be more efficient happens by magic and not jobs?  You're a brilliant guy.  Oil prices go up the more we use, btw. The less we use, the lower they are.
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Shoulda saved it for Friday 
    Couldn't help myself! Global warming/Cooling/Change gets people rilled up.
    I'm not riled up at all.  The irony is the conspiracy theorists/skeptics are the ones that loose their sh!t on these kinds of threads.  I think they're fun!!!
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Because....all the tech that's being created to be more efficient happens by magic and not jobs?  You're a brilliant guy.  Oil prices go up the more we use, btw. The less we use, the lower they are.
    The thing about jobs is that a govt job is paid for by tax dollars and private jobs are mostly not. Now, 100% of the govt job is funded by taxation and only a small amount of tax is paid. The private jobs pay a commensurate amount of tax but is funded largely by willing private economic forces. It is easy to see that when we get too many or too high of pay on the govt side we will have a serious issue. We are there now. It's not magic , it's that pesky tax payer you forget about. If you want to do these privately ok. I do think there is a need for govt funding for the research etc. The business models for these companies have to make sense or be close to doing so. I'm for alt energy sources , just not to a religious degree. 

The other side of the equation you refer to in your second point is supply. If supply exceeds demand it goes down. That is exactly what we have experienced. Again we must consider all sides of the issue of we are trying to be accurate. 
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    NASA is part to blame! They have holes punched in the Atmosphere from all the Space Junk they have sent up. And all the Hydrogen Gas and other Chemicals they use to send this stuff into the air that people just love to comment about the pretty plume in the sky. The soil is so contaminated and the wildlife and fish for miles around are affected. I can't even pee off my doorstep without getting in trouble from the Government. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There hasn't been one shred of proof other than computer models that man made global warming is occurring.  

Science doesn't deal with proof, but rather data.  As to what the data says regarding  measurements of mean global temperature.... yeah.

Data presented by an organization whose head, President Dumbo, has already politicized the issue.  Unbiased?  Probably not.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    The thing about jobs is that a govt job is paid for by tax dollars and private jobs are mostly not. Now, 100% of the govt job is funded by taxation and only a small amount of tax is paid. The private jobs pay a commensurate amount of tax but is funded largely by willing private economic forces. It is easy to see that when we get too many or too high of pay on the govt side we will have a serious issue. We are there now. It's not magic , it's that pesky tax payer you forget about. If you want to do these privately ok. I do think there is a need for govt funding for the research etc. The business models for these companies have to make sense or be close to doing so. I'm for alt energy sources , just not to a religious degree. 

The other side of the equation you refer to in your second point is supply. If supply exceeds demand it goes down. That is exactly what we have experienced. Again we must consider all sides of the issue of we are trying to be accurate. 
    I never mentioned government jobs, it's off-topic. Manufacturing jobs and tech jobs, which are almost 100% private sector, are created with driving efficiency requirements.

To the supply and demand issue, all things equal, having more efficient infrastructure, vehicles, appliances, houses, etc, lowers demand.  Now OPEC could cut supply and drive the prices up, but they want to burn the Russians and retard the ability of alternate oil (such as the shale fields, fracking, etc.) and alternate energy which relies on a higher oil price or subsidies to develop.

Data presented by an organization whose head, President Dumbo, has already politicized the issue.  Unbiased?  Probably not.
    Fred, the head of NOAA is Kathryn Sullivan.  She holds the distinction of being the first woman to walk in space.  She was confirmed by the Senate to the position in a unanimous vote.

Do you have anything intelligent to add here, or are you just going to keep pulling stuff out of your ass?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    In the 70's I remember hearing we were about to enter another ice age.
    I got in trouble in the 7th grade, in the early 80's, when our science teacher was telling our class about an article he had read that described the new ice age. 

We were in middle Georgia, and he was describing heavy snowfall in June and July and freezing temps year around. My classmates were freaking out and on the verge of tears. 

I finally spoke up and told them they were crazy to believe that crap. My teacher was furious with me and took it personal. I didn't care. I knew it was crap. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @johnkitchens We were/are, that's a fact.  However, the CO2 levels have gotten so high and the subsequent warming has been creating a detectable reversal of that effect.  I'm pretty sure this is even in Al's presentation.
    Davec433 said:
    I liked where they asked Christie about climate change policies at one of the GOP debates, and he said that we don't need to follow all of these crazy liberal ideas to deal with it.  Instead we can develop jobs in the renewable energy sector, and foster the development of solar power technologies to keep bringing the costs of renewable energy below those of fossil fuels.
    Irony: that sh*t we build pipes out of.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Wednesday is the new Friday...
    But work sux more when I'm that hungover. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @johnkitchens We were/are, that's a fact.  However, the CO2 levels have gotten so high and the subsequent warming has been creating a detectable reversal of that effect.  I'm pretty sure this is even in Al's presentation.
    Oh there you go.  You couldn't leave well enough alone, you just had to bring up manbearpig.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Davec433 said:

I never mentioned government jobs, it's off-topic. Manufacturing jobs and tech jobs, which are almost 100% private sector, are created with driving efficiency requirements.

To the supply and demand issue, all things equal, having more efficient infrastructure, vehicles, appliances, houses, etc, lowers demand.  Now OPEC could cut supply and drive the prices up, but they want to burn the Russians and retard the ability of alternate oil (such as the shale fields, fracking, etc.) and alternate energy which relies on a higher oil price or subsidies to develop.
    Those jobs would exist no matter what. Private companies always strive to be more efficient, if it makes sense. I am talking about govt subsidized jobs, so called "created" through cronie capitalism i.e. Windmills and solar companies. 

Just the the threat of drilling in Alaska would easily retard those actions. I am for efficiency as long as it remains reasonable. No issue here.  Also this is why we need to lead in the Mid East to have influence. 
  • nolaegghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @pgprescott I presume you haven't heard about Royal Dutch Shell drilling in Alaska.  They deemed it not economically feasible at this time and, after drilling some test wells, abandoned working their leases. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/08/17/shell-arctic-alaska/31890239/

On the jobs, no, you're wrong.  I agree with you about all crony capitalism, however.  That's been going on with other energy companies for ages, yes, even those that drill for oil.  So I'm glad you're against those too.
    Options
    @pgprescott I presume you haven't heard about Royal Dutch Shell drilling in Alaska.  They deemed it not economically feasible at this time and, after drilling some test wells, abandoned working their leases. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2015/08/17/shell-arctic-alaska/31890239/

On the jobs, no, you're wrong.  I agree with you about all crony capitalism, however.  That's been going on with other energy companies for ages, yes, even those that drill for oil.  So I'm glad you're against those too.
    Right, prices are low. Good idea though. It's there and ready if things change. Perfect for all concerned. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Oil prices are dependent largely on the world economy, growth in China and OPEC.
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    In the 70's I remember hearing we were about to enter another ice age.
    I got in trouble in the 7th grade, in the early 80's, when our science teacher was telling our class about an article he had read that described the new ice age. 

We were in middle Georgia, and he was describing heavy snowfall in June and July and freezing temps year around. My classmates were freaking out and on the verge of tears. 

I finally spoke up and told them they were crazy to believe that crap. My teacher was furious with me and took it personal. I didn't care. I knew it was crap. 

So the super smart scientists across the country were wrong in the 70's?  But now the super duper smart scientists are right?

Pretty funny stuff.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015