Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Antarctica gained more ice than lost

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    nasa is going to lose govt funding with articles like that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Shoulda saved it for Friday 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm going to venture an opinion here.   We should be talking about 'climate change' not 'global warming'.
    The climate is never the same from one decade to the next.    Warmer?  Cooler?  More rain?   Less rain?  Short term?   Longer term?  
    The Western US is in a drought situation.  The Colorado River due to Nature AND mans intervention, hasn't reached the Ocean but a couple times in the last 30 years.    Lake Mead?   It has a 100 foot + BathTub Ring and Hoover Dam has used the spillway in who knows how long.   see picture 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Shoulda saved it for Friday 
    Couldn't help myself! Global warming/Cooling/Change gets people rilled up.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    All of the ice on the top of the planet is melting and refreezing at the bottom.  =)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    All of the ice on the top of the planet is melting and refreezing at the bottom.  =)
    That's just gravity.
    NOLA
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited November 2015
    Options

Begger said:
    I'm going to venture an opinion here.   We should be talking about 'climate change' not 'global warming'.
    The climate is never the same from one decade to the next.    Warmer?  Cooler?  More rain?   Less rain?  Short term?   Longer term?  
    The Western US is in a drought situation.  The Colorado River due to Nature AND mans intervention, hasn't reached the Ocean but a couple times in the last 30 years.    Lake Mead?   It has a 100 foot + BathTub Ring and Hoover Dam has used the spillway in who knows how long.   see picture 
    I grew up in Northern California and remember the brown outs. All due to politicians not wanting to add more power plants for whatever reason. Another place I remember being with brown outs, Pakistan. Just because idiots run the govt doesn't make it "climate change."
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Screw it, let's start burning tar sands oil and more coal.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    so the climates changing and the ocean isnt going to rise, the north pole is like a big glass of water filled to the top with some ice, the ice melts and you still have a big glass of water filled to the top. not the same with the south pole where the majority of ice really is....and the ice is growing =)  DOOM AND GLOOM....ocean levels could drop
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    if it gets too low we could reverse the poles and make the south the north and the north the south and let the water/ice drip the other way =) a few trillion dollars and we have to fix all the maps
    fukahwee maine

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    South Pole, more ice, colder bourbon. It. Could. Work.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Actually, with global warming, this makes perfect sense. The air over Antarctica was among the driest places on earth. There are (or maybe now "were") valleys that hadn't seen any water precipitation for thousands of years. All the moisture in the air precipitated long before reaching the pole. As the seas become hotter, and more water vapor is forced into the hotter air, its perfectly understandable that there is more snow and ice formed in an area that is still pretty cold.

The arctic ice cap sits over water that is warmer now, and the deep ice is melting away. The down side is that the "polar vortex" is falling apart, and frigid air formerly massed at the North is spreading out, and causing more snowfall over northern hemisphere land masses.

According to an article I read about 50 years ago in SciAm, this is congruent w. the start of an "ice age." Tho' the climate as a whole was warmer during the glacial, and rivers flowed thru what is now the Sahara, most of No Am and northern Eurasia were under a few hundred feet of glacier. At least one one article said there was some evidence that the Inuit lived in circumpolar expanse covered w. trees.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Begger said: 

Isn't this where MegaTron is stored?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    You bet your sweet ass this **** is real.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I grew up in Northern California and remember the brown outs. All due to politicians not wanting to add more power plants for whatever reason. Another place I remember being with brown outs, Pakistan. Just because idiots run the govt doesn't make it "climate change."
    It wasn't the lack of power plants, it was the unchecked use of power, lack of a one-child only policy and no fences to keep all the non-Californians out.  Sheesh, simple math.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Saw an interview with Rubio - not my candidate, fyi.   He said they were being pushed into signing laws that admittedly did absolutely nothing for global warming / climate change, other than to serve as an example to countries like India and China.  Meanwhile these "example" laws handcuffed our own economy.

Sort of reminds me when I moved to America from Canada.  I diligently sorted my trash and utilized my recycle bin.  Then I watched a program where all the trash was dumped together in the same landfill.  Didn't sort after that.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Global warming refers to what is happening to the mean temperature trend over an extended period of time due largely to anthropogenic forcing. One does not need the temperature to rise everywhere all the time for global warming to be occurring.  But, troll on my friends.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Global warming refers to what is happening to the mean temperature trend over an extended period of time due largely to anthropogenic forcing. One does not need the temperature to rise everywhere all the time for global warming to be occurring.  But, troll on my friends.
    You and all your big SAT type science words.
    Recycling is for suckers

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I heard Davec433 was on the fence until Inhofe brought forth the smoking gun...a snowball.  Oh, what a damning ball of ice that was! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Options
    hey, didchyaknow witches float?
    Just so Nola isn't disappointed.  There hasn't been one shred of proof other than computer models that man made global warming is occurring.  Hasn't the mean temp stayed the same or lowered for the past 15 years or so?  I love the liberal narrative because they have all the bases covered.  

Too much rain, global warming.  Drought, global warming.  Unusually warm season, global warming.  Unusually chilly season, global warming.  More hurricanes than usual, global warming.  Less hurricanes than usual, global warming.  More polar ice, global warming.  Less polar ice, global warming.  Lots of storms, global warming.  Extended calm weather, global warming.  Leave more colorful than usual, global warming.  Not as colorful, global warming.  

They can't miss!  They are always correct!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Fred, I didn't know you were a climatologist!  You surprise me almost daily, and the next day, when I think you've reached your special zenith, shall we say, you do it again!  What joy! 

I find the anti-intellectual movement fascinating.  It actually may result in a Darwinian extinction event, if it gets enough traction.  I hope not and I apologize if I digressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDj6WechLhw

Options
    El Niño did it.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

They really should print/present the headlines after the story.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    In the 70's I remember hearing we were about to enter another ice age.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Shocked @nolaegghead is all over this post.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'm curious what wiped out the dino's.  @nolaegghead ?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Given your sentiment, I'm actually surprised you have any curiosity at all.