Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocking a turkey and retaining pan drippings

Options
I've got a large egg.

Traditionally I've gone the Mad Max route but really want to try spatchcocking the bird this year. What set up can you recommend that will retain the most pan drippings for gravy? I can't fit a half sheet on a large.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use 16" diameter 2 1/2 deep aluminum pizza pans in my large. That leaves 1" of clearance all the way around. That's about as big around as you want to go in a large. Any bigger and you run the risk of choking the fire out. I have had exceptional luck with these pans.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @SGH, where do you get those particular pizza pans?
    TIA, friend. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    @SGH, where do you get those particular pizza pans?
    TIA, friend. 

You can get them at several different places, they are pretty common. However I bought a 3 pack that was on sale from Web restaraunt online. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Just make sure you air-gap the pan off your heat deflector so you don't scorch the drippings.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    you won't be getting any of the direct cook on the underside, which is part of the reason for spatchcocking, but you'll probably cut the time (speed up the cook) a good bit.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]