Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: mac users...OS X El Capitan switch or not?: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
I have not yet upgraded since the opinions of others posted at Apple still aren't favorable! Of 2,765 responders 44% rated it only one star and 58% rated it just 1 or 2 stars. Any opinions here?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I haven't because I am afraid that Photoshop CS5 may not work and Adobe's answer will be that is an outdated version you better buy a subscription to our newest version, thanks but no thanks.

Gerhard
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I tried to update and it told me that my firevault encryption wasnt complete and it had to complete before I could update. I went into settings and it said i needed to plug it in to continue, plugged it in and it didnt start up. So after a little research, I couldn't find anything helpful on it really so I abandoned trying to update.. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Reviews are not good, I'm holding off.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Thanks @RRP for posting this.  I have been on the fence (have not upgraded yet) and will give the opinions here a lot of weight as with all things posted here that are not exactly BGE/Q related :)
    Of course my techo-geek competency is about max'ed out with the TTT.  ;) 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    Upgraded day 1 and have had zero issues. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I refuse to upgrade because last time I checked, we speak American in this country!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I bought my first Mac the day after the update was available. Not knowing any different I updated it before I did anything else when I got it home as instructed at Apple Store. I haven't had any trouble but I have nothing to compare it to either. I am still in the learning curve with it. I still live in Windows/Microsoft world for work so it is only at home I get to tinker with it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My "broadband" is a joke, often runs as slow as .5M/min, never higher than 3. So I put off upgrading the OS for quite some time. But I wanted to upgrade a number of apps, and my old OS wouldn't run them. Finally tried the d-load. Only took about 9 hours.

Works OK. I was using 10.6.8, and this is different enough that I remain somewhat confused after a week of use. A few options have disappeared, and there are other features I don't quite know if I'll need. Overall, my impression is that even on older hardware, the system is more responsive. A couple of old apps were unusable. My old version of Photoshop Elements doesn't work quite right. (Will not be buying an online subscription and cloud storage from Adobe, so there's a bunch of apps for which I won't be spending anything.)

I suppose that if you have an iPhone, the integration of messaging services between the desktop and the mobile would be quite useful. And the reminders and to-dos would be helpful for business use. Since I didn't have to pay for the functions which are no longer of much use to me, I guess I don't mind.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Upgraded last week, have had no problems thus far.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    I have had no problems with the new operating system so far either.

George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've had this computer and Yosemite for 1 year and with all that's going on in my life, don't want to dip into new-OS hell...especially at 10 PM to midnight. 

I can deal with what I have, finally, and after past upgrading experiences I know to be grateful for what I have. When I upgraded to Tiger the Arial font disappeared--and guess what, that's what I used on all my files. 

Luddite Lady.
    Judy in San Diego
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    No significant problems on my iMac or MacBook Air.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I upgraded my 2008 MacBook a couple weeks ago. The only issue I've had is that my Kodak ESP7 printer stopped working. I then remembered having the same issue when I upgraded to Yosemite. I found a solution online at that time and had it saved in a document. I thought what the heck; maybe the same solution will work in El Capitan, and lo and behold, it did! No issues have been found since then.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gdenby said:
    My "broadband" is a joke, often runs as slow as .5M/min, never higher than 3. So I put off upgrading the OS for quite some time. But I wanted to upgrade a number of apps, and my old OS wouldn't run them. Finally tried the d-load. Only took about 9 hours.

Works OK. I was using 10.6.8, and this is different enough that I remain somewhat confused after a week of use. A few options have disappeared, and there are other features I don't quite know if I'll need. Overall, my impression is that even on older hardware, the system is more responsive. A couple of old apps were unusable. My old version of Photoshop Elements doesn't work quite right. (Will not be buying an online subscription and cloud storage from Adobe, so there's a bunch of apps for which I won't be spending anything.)

I suppose that if you have an iPhone, the integration of messaging services between the desktop and the mobile would be quite useful. And the reminders and to-dos would be helpful for business use. Since I didn't have to pay for the functions which are no longer of much use to me, I guess I don't mind.

What version of elements are you running?
    Had similar problem on a pc update and had to go in and adjust the catch in PS Elements and it now works fine.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Upgraded several weeks ago. I have not noticed any issues with it but then again I haven"t seen any benefits from the upgrade either.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.